Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a2 head with b18c block -- any CA smog issues here

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 b16a2 head with b18c block -- any CA smog issues here

i have a 00 civic si emi it has the original head b16a2 all smog equipment as well as stock p2t a11 computer works great just wondering if i try to smog it with it having a b18c block will i get stuck at smog station. or will i have to like other forums state find a more easier smog station. i have tried to find this exact question throughout the threads, but seems that it only offers people that do full swaps etc. this was just a replacement do to a previous cracked block from other owner i guess not sure. or maybe poormans type r or something.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b16a2 head with b18c block any smog issues here

What state? In CA it will not pass inspection.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya ca. ya kind of a bummer that only thing not stock now is the block, which maybe has a compression change but besides that no cels idles perfect, etc. but ya was seeing if anyone new about a block change by itself. now i read if was newer than the car it might work i believe its a c1 block off a 2001 or 00 integra gsr. that wouldnt be a adequate swap?
Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Complete engine swaps are legal, but will need to be same year or newer than the chassis.
Last I checked the CA smog website, head swaps from different series/generations motors was not allowed.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya the head on my car is stock for a 00 civic si b16a2 but my block is not everything is back to stock even the computer. the only thing on my car now that is not for my car is my block. from what others told me before joining website that a block is not a altering thing unless completely different year etc. so why im asking regarding the block. this is why cant find much info regarding this. because i do not see a lot of people only swaping blocks and posting about smog. but i appreciate the info any i get the better.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:05 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to swap an entire motor - you can't pick and choose parts. The block has to match the head has to match the ECU.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i see the point. i bought car with the block swapped. it was all obd1 etc. so got back to obd2 etc with all proper smog stuff etc. was looking if anyone running this same situation and was basically 95 percent legit have any luck at a smog shop over looking the block numbers. but ya i have not seen a significant difference with the ecu having a problem. if i recall correctly i believe the only thing major on a b18 block rather than a 16a2 was . something on compression. so ya just not understanding california i guess lol. but ya will just try to smog it anyway. cant justify hundreds to replace to stock block. including all the work. so will reply when i get a verdict. i dont know if this in same category as a intake. but been to a shop a few times that didnt care about carb id numbers maybe take to same shop and will still smog it since nothing is missing but a stock block with stamp really. i dont know. thanks for input much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From California ARB website

Heads
Replacement heads must be identical to the original part. Head swaps from different years, engines or makes are illegal. Aftermarket heads or valve train components that are not made to the same specifications as the original parts require an Executive Order to be legal for street use.

So what this means is your engine is considered the B18C1 with an illegal head swap and wrong ECU. Solve would be finding a B16 shortblock or B18C1 cylinder head, IM, ECU etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM

So wait, your EM1 was converted to OBD1, and has a B18 block with a B16 head? Yeah no, not a chance in hell that'll pass. Are you new to modifying cars in California?

There's more than just "compression" difference between B16 and B18 motors. Deck height is different, stroke is different, CR is different, and on top of all of that, they don't all have the same oiling or cooling, since some have separate coolers, and others have piston oil squirters.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya im not trying sound ignorant. but i have a si i have a si head for my car i do not have a replacement or swapped head just the block is a b18 not a 16a2 so only thing that does not match up on my car is my block. everything internal and around is for my car. so not sure what info youre showing me? that really doesnt apply to this situation?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaEm1-00
ya im not trying sound ignorant. but i have a si i have a si head for my car i do not have a replacement or swapped head just the block is a b18 not a 16a2 so only thing that does not match up on my car is my block. everything internal and around is for my car. so not sure what info youre showing me? that really doesnt apply to this situation?
Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.
If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.
Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes").

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

The engine in your car is not original, it is a replacement engine with a swapped(illegal) head for that engine. It will not pass smog. If it does pass, it didn't pass legally and if you get pulled over and hood popped with no BAR sticker, they can seize your car(worse case)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i purchased a car that is all legit besides the block. it was missing a few smog parts and knock sensor etc. had a obd1 ecu etc. so i changed ecu back to p2t a11 put back on purge solenoid. rewired 02 sensors and new cat etc back on. opened head and seems like were oe pistons etc. so in my honest theory i believe he was running a basically stock poormans r. since there was not much difference on parts etc. so only thing i need to have put in again is my original block. 16a2 which i do not have. all research countless hours tells me that the b18c block is virtually not much different i guess. but i do not know for sure. so its back to obd2 now currently do not have check engine lights on and in school for smog training just started. dont no all of bars regulations yet. but car did pass on school demo machine. so its not legit smog of course but if were to take it to smog it will pass but not by block numbers i guess
Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Yes it does, you just aren't reading it correctly.

The engine stamp defines what engine you have in the car. You have a B18 swap, period. The reason you will fail is because you have an illegal head swap. The head on the motor is NOT the head that originally came on the motor. On top of that, your car is evidently converted to OBD1. That's another instant failure.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

You can not run a hybrid motor, only a complete swap. Everyone is telling byou this but you are not listening.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Stop. Listen. You have the wrong motor in the car. Period. It doesn't matter if your "research" tells you it's "virtually not much different" (which is completely wrong).
Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i understand now. since block is different the head doesnt go for it it makes sense. i was only getting at the head is for my car. but i didnt know a block would consist of an entire engine in classification. thats where i was confused at. was listening just didnt know block meant thats the engine. idk lol but ya i get it now. thanks for the input.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:36 PM

The head is the head. The block is the block. As far as CA is concerned, the block code defines what the entire engine should be. If something in that engine does not match the block, it's an instant failure.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya thats where i got lost to me i believed that since i had a si and i have a si head the block was the problem but since i have a different block it as if my head is the problem not for that block.. i really thankyou for advice i will have to search for a dam block now lol
Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Or a head and ECU that match the block. Either way works.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Block would be cheaper, head would be easier. Though if you replace the head, you need the GSR/B18C1 intake manifold as well.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so personal advice would be easier to swap block. or swap head and ecu to that block. but if i swapped head ecu then would have engine not matching for car like it is now pretty much so answered my own question. guess should swap block would be most praticle.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you just answered above before i posted
Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so last question i have is it weird to have si ecu p2t a11 si head b16a2 head si intake manifold all on a b18c block? seems like not compatible but guess its working?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaEm1-00
so personal advice would be easier to swap block. or swap head and ecu to that block. but if i swapped head ecu then would have engine not matching for car like it is now pretty much so answered my own question. guess should swap block would be most praticle.
If you swapped the head and ECU you would need to go get it BAR'd pairing that engine to the chassis, legally in california.

Save yourself the headache and find a B16 block
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya cheapest ive seen which seemed great whole si engine and block with tranny pick in pull over here 500 but few days ago sure its gone. on craigslist ive seen one for 700 with ctr pistons port polished for 700 just seems kind of expensive to me but gotta pay to play i guess. any suggestions where to find a block for a si fairly cheaper.

Quick Reply: b16a2 head with b18c block -- any CA smog issues here