Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a2 EG state ref attempt

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a2 EG state ref attempt

ok have a 95 dx hatch and have a 2000 b16a2 swapped in.

got ref'f for an aftermarket fuel rail and adjustable FPR.

when I got my hood popped I had dc 4-1 header, no cat 2.5" exhaust with 4" fart pipe.
hondata gasket, blox intake manifold, p30 throttle body. no charcoal canister or any vacuum lines, they were just all capped off. ITR cams, AEM cold air intake but for a gsr. and running on S300 on a jdm p30 basemap.

this is my fetal attempt to get pass ref and get BAR'd

I put the stock b16 cams back in, stock exhaust manifold, new cat, 2" piping back to a stock muffler.

took a 4 wire o2 sensor and extended it to reach manifold.

took a charcoal canister and filled the 3 vacuum nipples with silicone and threw on old vacuum lines to the manifold.

set the s300 as a usdm p30 and disabled knock. I left it in a p28 case because I was lazy and just didnt care if he checked or not.

then left the aem cold air on because I dont have a stock air box.

now what I was worried about was him knowing that the b16a2 was obd2 and I had it converted to obd1. and that the crank position sensor was still attatched to the motor but not hooked up.

results-

he knew the b16 came out of a del sol or 99-2000 civic si. but he didnt know it was obd2.

he looked at the ecu and saw p28, he looked up ecu number and it read "1.6L Vtec" so he passed my ecu even with the hondata sticker on the cover.

those were the worst of my worries.

I did not pass but he gave me a list of things to fix and I will pass. then he told me to make another appointment the following day and he will pass for my BAR sticker.

so heres my list.

- install OEM or approved Cold Air Intake per application. 1995 honda 1.6L DOHC VTEC
I need a del sol stock air box

- install approved CAT for delsol B16. must meet 2009 Regulations
gotta do some research and find out how much thats gonna cost me

- Computer Feedback control system
my o2 sensor was modified because I extended it. need a stock 4 wire o2

- properly route vacuum lines, install purge valve and gotta have fuel emissions hoses on evap purge line.

- check repair high HC emissions.
needs a valve adjustment he said. has too much unburnt fuel getting through

- replace PVC breather hose.

so after I replace the list above I will be golden and BAR'd for b16a2 obd1 :-D

pretty much easy **** and was alot easier than I ever thought

so does anyone have any of these parts I need for sale??
Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a2 EG state ref attempt

does it cost any money if you failed to pass the first time?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JdmCrx209
does it cost any money if you failed to pass the first time?
cost nothing if you fail and it cost 8.25 for the certificate when I pass ref.

not sure how much hes gonna charge to bar but im gonna do it anyway
Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. The ref station is really easy. You would have failed visually with that ecu and for your motor. Ref up north knows what they are looking for. Well hopefully when you go back you get the safe tech or it might be a different story.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eg6style
Wow. The ref station is really easy. You would have failed visually with that ecu and for your motor. Ref up north knows what they are looking for. Well hopefully when you go back you get the safe tech or it might be a different story.
only one ref there
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bakomack
ok have a 95 dx hatch and have a 2000 b16a2 swapped in.

got ref'f for an aftermarket fuel rail and adjustable FPR.

when I got my hood popped I had dc 4-1 header, no cat 2.5" exhaust with 4" fart pipe.
hondata gasket, blox intake manifold, p30 throttle body. no charcoal canister or any vacuum lines, they were just all capped off. ITR cams, AEM cold air intake but for a gsr. and running on S300 on a jdm p30 basemap.

this is my fetal attempt to get pass ref and get BAR'd

I put the stock b16 cams back in, stock exhaust manifold, new cat, 2" piping back to a stock muffler.

took a 4 wire o2 sensor and extended it to reach manifold.

took a charcoal canister and filled the 3 vacuum nipples with silicone and threw on old vacuum lines to the manifold.

set the s300 as a usdm p30 and disabled knock. I left it in a p28 case because I was lazy and just didnt care if he checked or not.

then left the aem cold air on because I dont have a stock air box.

now what I was worried about was him knowing that the b16a2 was obd2 and I had it converted to obd1. and that the crank position sensor was still attatched to the motor but not hooked up.

results-

he knew the b16 came out of a del sol or 99-2000 civic si. but he didnt know it was obd2.

he looked at the ecu and saw p28, he looked up ecu number and it read "1.6L Vtec" so he passed my ecu even with the hondata sticker on the cover.

those were the worst of my worries.

I did not pass but he gave me a list of things to fix and I will pass. then he told me to make another appointment the following day and he will pass for my BAR sticker.

so heres my list.

- install OEM or approved Cold Air Intake per application. 1995 honda 1.6L DOHC VTEC
I need a del sol stock air box

- install approved CAT for delsol B16. must meet 2009 Regulations
gotta do some research and find out how much thats gonna cost me

- Computer Feedback control system
my o2 sensor was modified because I extended it. need a stock 4 wire o2

- properly route vacuum lines, install purge valve and gotta have fuel emissions hoses on evap purge line.

- check repair high HC emissions.
needs a valve adjustment he said. has too much unburnt fuel getting through

- replace PVC breather hose.

so after I replace the list above I will be golden and BAR'd for b16a2 obd1 :-D

pretty much easy **** and was alot easier than I ever thought

so does anyone have any of these parts I need for sale??

1. get a intake with a carb# on it like AEM or stick with OEM

2. i suggest gettin a Magnaflow universal cat and have it welded on..i got mine for $150 brand new and CALI approved..MUST be a certain series tho..will reduce ur high HC down to less than 50ppm

3. route ur wireing more nicely and make it look as much like factory as possible

4. same as #3 route it correctly

5. replace the hose
Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lucky guy.. usually when you get pulled over by a cop and they tell you to go thru inspection, the state ref are usually ********.. they would fail your car automatically even if its a minor problem.. because they know that the only reason your there is because you got caught by a cop who popped your hood
Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
1. get a intake with a carb# on it like AEM or stick with OEM

2. i suggest gettin a Magnaflow universal cat and have it welded on..i got mine for $150 brand new and CALI approved..MUST be a certain series tho..will reduce ur high HC down to less than 50ppm

3. route ur wireing more nicely and make it look as much like factory as possible

4. same as #3 route it correctly

5. replace the hose

ill replace everything and post results, gotta get cash for a cat first
Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 PM
New User

hey, i am going to do the same thing... except my swap is more simple and from b16a2 to an 98 ek... only question is about teh ECU

why didn't you just leave it as the p30?? even though that ref sounds kinda dumb.. p30 pulls up as 1.6 VTEC too anyways right??
Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats why i hate states like that. i love arizona ,every car is legal no emmisions what so ever. I got stationed out here in the corps. I was originally from mass every honda i had could be verfied with that black sticker with the big black r but im gunna be f%$ked if i leave az good luck man i remember the battles. if makes you feel any better my buddy is into diesel trucks he has a tt dodge he got pulled over here becuz the the black smoke actually makes his truck magically disaper and the cop thought it looked cool and gave him a warning sweet
Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beastingitup
hey, i am going to do the same thing... except my swap is more simple and from b16a2 to an 98 ek... only question is about teh ECU

why didn't you just leave it as the p30?? even though that ref sounds kinda dumb.. p30 pulls up as 1.6 VTEC too anyways right??
I cant get my hands on a p30 and im not buying one off ebay. there isnt one local on craigslist.

and my s300 is already installed in a p28.

its running off a p30 base map.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rofl i love reading these threads. FLorida FTW, no emissions, and down here in miami they cant even ask you to pop the hood. +1 to us -1 To cali, lol.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
New User

Man im going through the same garbage right now...You should sell me your USDM P30 )) thats all i have left to do...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
rofl i love reading these threads. FLorida FTW, no emissions, and down here in miami they cant even ask you to pop the hood. +1 to us -1 To cali, lol.

we have better looking women and no hurricanes :-P

Originally Posted by Steveuhrino
Man im going through the same garbage right now...You should sell me your USDM P30 )) thats all i have left to do...
I have a p28 with hondata running a p30 base map, I do not own a p30
Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im going to be going for my 96' hatch soon.. hopefully i can pass first time. right now im confused about which charcoal canister to use though.. 99 SI, 96 EX, 96 DX. if i were to use an SI i would have to swap fuel lines.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by geneeunit
im going to be going for my 96' hatch soon.. hopefully i can pass first time. right now im confused about which charcoal canister to use though.. 99 SI, 96 EX, 96 DX. if i were to use an SI i would have to swap fuel lines.
not sure, you might need to use the one off your car. thats what im doing
Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just my 2 cents..

To make things perfy..

-Do your charcoal box proper.. No need to shortcut that ****.. it don't hurt your power enough to even look at it..

-Cut your harness tape and move the O2 plug from the front to the rear and retape.. You'll have enough room to directly plug in.. IF your lucky, you CAN find some legit O2 extensions on SOME models of VX? civics.. (Honda got lazy?)

-Valve adjustment.. For real? C-mon man..

-ECU, I can't believe you don't have a stock ECU laying around.. They're cheap now.. Buy one and bar it, then sell it.. I have a S300. What it says a base map is for a GSR, B16, Type-R are WAYYY off!! So far off that my engine runs 10+:1 when you romp on it when cold.. It's so rich that it stalls for a sec between full throttle shifts.. Honestly, that's probably a good part of your problem right there.. Get a stock ECU cheap ***.. =]

The rest is easy $h*t..

I been driving mine for 8 years with different engines in it and haven't gotten into anything I couldn't talk my way out of yet.. *knock on wood*
Old 05-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot to mention.. Use your STOCK civic box and a B16 or GSR intake hose depending on what engine you're running.. They all route to the same location and the box inlets are the same..

I have a 94-95 Del sol B16 right now and I can use the Del sol tube with the 1995 EX air box just like OEM.. It even bolts in like stock! lol =]
Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have better looking women and no hurricanes :-P

I have a p28 with hondata running a p30 base map, I do not own a p30
proof of better looking woman?

And Hurricanes > Earthquakes any day. At least you know when hurricanes are comming :X
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gotz2b16
Just my 2 cents..

To make things perfy..

-Do your charcoal box proper.. No need to shortcut that ****.. it don't hurt your power enough to even look at it..

-Cut your harness tape and move the O2 plug from the front to the rear and retape.. You'll have enough room to directly plug in.. IF your lucky, you CAN find some legit O2 extensions on SOME models of VX? civics.. (Honda got lazy?)

-Valve adjustment.. For real? C-mon man..

-ECU, I can't believe you don't have a stock ECU laying around.. They're cheap now.. Buy one and bar it, then sell it.. I have a S300. What it says a base map is for a GSR, B16, Type-R are WAYYY off!! So far off that my engine runs 10+:1 when you romp on it when cold.. It's so rich that it stalls for a sec between full throttle shifts.. Honestly, that's probably a good part of your problem right there.. Get a stock ECU cheap ***.. =]

The rest is easy $h*t..

I been driving mine for 8 years with different engines in it and haven't gotten into anything I couldn't talk my way out of yet.. *knock on wood*

my charcoal canister must have a crack or something in it because when I ran it with all vacuum lines my idle was constant at 2k. there was a leak in it some where.

as far as the valve adjustment, ive never had one done on this motor so it probably needs one anyways. I was trying to get away with using the cat I had on my car. I have a brand new cat so I just need it put on.

the only part of the smog test I failed was the 15 mph and my unburnt fuel was just a hair over the limit, that is the reason I thought I needed a valve adjustment

and for a p30, I do not have the cash to buy one.

and I do not have my knock sensor hooked up so a stock ecu would throw a code, I just disabled it on my hondata and it passed visual so thats all I needed.

intake, I called AEM and they sent me a carb sticker for the b16 instead of the gsr one I have. it will be here in a week.

and I found a del sol o2 sensor. im just waiting for the new sticker to get here in a few more days.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
proof of better looking woman?

And Hurricanes > Earthquakes any day. At least you know when hurricanes are comming :X
the earthquakes keep people on their toes lol
Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

believe it or not a valve adj. helps with the sniffer test
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
believe it or not a valve adj. helps with the sniffer test
I thought so, I gave it a valve adjustment anyways lol.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put a cat in...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my charcoal canister must have a crack or something in it because when I ran it with all vacuum lines my idle was constant at 2k. there was a leak in it some where.
Make sure your hoses are hooked up right.. the charcoal canister is just an evaporator for fuel vapor that escapes your fuel tank. it's designed to "leak" kinda. I believe the bottom of them are open to atmosphere aren't they? Anyhow, I've never had a vac leak with any of them unless your control valve is busted maybe?

intake, I called AEM and they sent me a carb sticker for the b16 instead of the gsr one I have. it will be here in a week.
What'd you tell them to get a sticker??? did you lie and say you have an intake you DON'T have?? what info did they need???? Every time I tried to get a replacement sticker I've been denied..

Quick Reply: b16a2 EG state ref attempt