Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A VTEC NOT ENGAGING HARD "/

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A VTEC NOT ENGAGING HARD "/

ALRIGHT SO I HAVE A 96 EK COUPE AND FEW WEEKS AGO DID A SWAP TO A
B16A.. I REBUILT THE ENGINE COMPLETELY EVERYTHING IS BRAND NEW..IM RUNNING A OBD1 P28 RUNNING WITH AN SST CHIP FROM PHERABLE.NET I SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR MY VTEC ENGAGEMENT TO BE AT 5500RPM AND IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM.. IM STILL BREAKING IT IN AND IT HAS 300 MILES ON THE ENGINE AND TODAY I DECIDED JUST TO SEE WHERE MY VTEC WAS KICKING IN AND ITS POPPIN AT 5800RPM.. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY ITS ENGAGING AT 5800RPM.. COULD IT BE BECAUSE OF OIL PREASSURE OR ANYONE MAY HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHY???
Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A VTEC NOT ENGAGING HARD "/

ALSO WHEN VTEC HITS IT DOES NOT POP AS HARD AS IT SHOULD.. IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OR SHARE ANY IDEAS IT WOULD BE GREAT..
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its engaging there cuz thats where its set. And lol how do you know how hard your vtec is supposed to pop?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Its engaging there cuz thats where its set. And lol how do you know how hard your vtec is supposed to pop?
ive gotten all my tunes from them and they have never made a mistake its the first time i have this issue thats why im concerned.. and its not my first
b16 or b series motor so i know how they sound when vtec hits.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CanoTech88
ALSO WHEN VTEC HITS IT DOES NOT POP AS HARD AS IT SHOULD.. IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OR SHARE ANY IDEAS IT WOULD BE GREAT..
few questions

1st how old are you if you dont mind me asking?
2nd Are you aware of when your engadgment should occur for your setup to get the most performance from the engine?
3rd do you think loud vtec means more power/healthier motor?

To me sounds like a good base map, and most likely a great engagement point for vtec for your setup as your dyno sheet would show probably more linear power throughout.
I pray for a linear climbing dyno graph with a soft spoken changeover, $#!T Wouldnt even care to hear the changeover at all if all my numbers looked good from 2k to redline.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car is slow, what part of this is surprising?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One other thing...are you aware that the factory tach isn't accurate? It may very well be engaging at 5500 rpm. If you think vtec should be loud, then take your airbox off...it should be pretty loud then.

fm
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18
few questions

1st how old are you if you dont mind me asking?
2nd Are you aware of when your engadgment should occur for your setup to get the most performance from the engine?
3rd do you think loud vtec means more power/healthier motor?

To me sounds like a good base map, and most likely a great engagement point for vtec for your setup as your dyno sheet would show probably more linear power throughout.
I pray for a linear climbing dyno graph with a soft spoken changeover, $#!T Wouldnt even care to hear the changeover at all if all my numbers looked good from 2k to redline.
lol.... if you ask for your vtec to engage at a certain rpm and it doesnt would u be concerned that maybe theres something wrong???? im not asking what would be the best vtec engagement for my set up or anything like that im just asking a simple question i dont need any sarcasm I just need help or solutions.. so if u can just help that would be great and also no i dont think if your vtec its loud it gives u more power or healthier for ur engine.. and what would be the best vtec engagement for my engine.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

300 rpms off? so what? as long as it's engaging. fine tune it on the dyno. if you can feel vtec it's in the wrong spot anyway.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
One other thing...are you aware that the factory tach isn't accurate? It may very well be engaging at 5500 rpm. If you think vtec should be loud, then take your airbox off...it should be pretty loud then.

fm
i have a injen intake . and its not slow for the other dude that posted that coment..
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so no one thinks that oil preassure its a problem with the vtec not engaging at 5500??
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My statement stands...the OEM tach isn't accurate, so you may actually have a 5500 rpm crossover but your tach doesn't reflect that. I know when I shift at 8000 at the track, my tach reads 8500.

fm
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CanoTech88
ok so no one thinks that oil preassure its a problem with the vtec not engaging at 5500??
If oil pressure was a problem, VTEC wouldn't engage at all.

fm
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Until you clarify exactly how you know where vtec is crossing, we're all just going to sit here and assume that you have no clue what you're talking about. Vtec isn't the kind of thing that kicks "too hard" or "too soft". Either it crosses, or it doesn't. Your tach is probably wrong, and you're probably running shitty stock cams. Also, like dood said, if you can feel it cross, it isn't crossing in the right spot.

You have a shade tree Civic SiR with a few basic bolt ons, and a basemap. Yes, your car is slow. Don't fool yourself. It might be quicker than stock, but it's still slow.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know nothing about cars, and you are the reason people who have these cars have a bad name. You want an answer to a question that doesn't make any sense. You don't "ask" someone to set a VTEC engagement point. If you have built the motor you get a "base map" then you fine tune the engine and set VTEC to where the primary lobes stop making power.

You want a smooth transition into VTEC, not a "pop" if you feel VTEC engaging you are wasting the engines potential and it's tuned wrong. Yes, from the factory if you put an intake on, you can hear/slightly feel VTEC. When you build a motor, or have it tuned, you are suppose to hear it less.

Either sell the car and buy one that was already set up correctly, or take the time and money to go get the car tuned on the dyno. You can't bench tune, or ask people to set the VTEC point, because thats where you want it. VTEC doesn't "Pop" it engages. It's a transition, not a turbo.

If you don't like the answers then leave. We can't answer wrong questions. Most likely the ECU was hacked/tricked and nothing will ever be right with it, and will be slow as it wasn't done correctly. Low oil pressure wouldn't allow VTEC to engage at all, let alone 300rmp higher. Learn how VTEC works, and what it needs to activate.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silvertune
Your car is slow, what part of this is surprising?
slow and vtec not cracking as loud as you think are two diff things
Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh really? I've driven Honda's for 19 years and not a single one was fast, that's modified and stock cars. Making them fast is like any other platform minus some curb weight, turbo or supercharger or the all out motor builds. It takes WORK.

In any case, Vtec is a small detail, its a shift in your valve train properties and if you can feel it you aren't set up correctly. If there is an instantly noticeable difference in power with the "kick" then it's not engaging soon enough, it needs to engage the INSTANT it will make more power then the base profile which means you really shouldn't feel it at all. That is to say, you shouldn't feel it "kick" rather then the engine should start climbing into the more power and even that is barely noticeable on an anywhere near stock motor because these things don't make any output without some major major help. These cars are fun to drag through the gears once in awhile but otherwise just enjoy the gas mileage because they are slow and it takes either a K series engine swap or boost to make them get out of their own way and no amount of whining is going to change that.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everyone seems to think VTEC is this:

When actually, it's this:

You see that tiny little blip around 4800 rpm? That's VTEC. As others have stated, it should be a seamless transition if it's tuned properly.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
You know nothing about cars, and you are the reason people who have these cars have a bad name. You want an answer to a question that doesn't make any sense. You don't "ask" someone to set a VTEC engagement point. If you have built the motor you get a "base map" then you fine tune the engine and set VTEC to where the primary lobes stop making power.

You want a smooth transition into VTEC, not a "pop" if you feel VTEC engaging you are wasting the engines potential and it's tuned wrong. Yes, from the factory if you put an intake on, you can hear/slightly feel VTEC. When you build a motor, or have it tuned, you are suppose to hear it less.

Either sell the car and buy one that was already set up correctly, or take the time and money to go get the car tuned on the dyno. You can't bench tune, or ask people to set the VTEC point, because thats where you want it. VTEC doesn't "Pop" it engages. It's a transition, not a turbo.

If you don't like the answers then leave. We can't answer wrong questions. Most likely the ECU was hacked/tricked and nothing will ever be right with it, and will be slow as it wasn't done correctly. Low oil pressure wouldn't allow VTEC to engage at all, let alone 300rmp higher. Learn how VTEC works, and what it needs to activate.
Maybe my question its not asked right... i dont have money to get it tuned in a dyno so just got a chrome chip and im asumming u have used one of these before since u happen to know so much more than i do bout cars... u put whatever u want on the base map 2 step etc and u can get ur vtec to engage at wherever u feel its right or u want....and anyways yes its a smooth transition when vtec hits.. the reason why i asked about the vtec being smooth its because my last b series it was not.. just a simple question.. i thought this forum its to get help Not deal which a bunch of sarcastic ******!! Damm.. but anyways thanks for the sarcasm and info at the same time
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
If oil pressure was a problem, VTEC wouldn't engage at all.

fm
Thanks thats what i thought as well just wanted to get someone elses opinion
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I just don't think this is going anywhere productive.