Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A Timing belt slipped Needs help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A Timing belt slipped Needs help please!

ok so while driving today i went for a quick short trip to a friends..maybe 2.5 miles and about a block before I got to his place I heard a really bad knocking mechanical sound coming from the car and just limped it to the drive way an shut it off right away. once there I pulled the valve cover because i thought maybe something broke and was fked in there but found nothing wrong in there. so with him watching i tried to turn it over but it wouldn't start and he noticed the belt bouncing.......seems that either the belt had jumped timing or maybe the tensioner had come loose an let it jump. I could clearly see that the intake cam or exhaust cam depending on where it jumped exactly was off from each other by about 3 or 4 cam gear teeth. anyways I inspected the belt an found a single small tear/ chunk torn in between the teeth on the belt. I ordered a new timing belt but it wont be here for a day an a half. anyways we went ahead and set the cam gears to TDC and the crank pulley to TDC put the belt back on and tightened the tensioner enough so it wouldn't let go so I could limp it home until the new belt gets in. Anyways once we got the belt back on it started it up but it sounded rather quiet compared to normal and was slow to build up idle....it was hovering around 500 RPM an built slowly to 1000ish, then I started to check the throttle and it was extremely slow to react and build revs....at least .5-1 second reaction to throttle opening and revs built at around 800-1200 per second when holding it over for around 3-4 seconds. then when the throttle was let go revs fell about normal speed but dipped to or just below 500 rpm almost dying but came back up an held between 800-1000rpm idle. when revving the motor it felt extremely weak so we went ahead and advanced the distributor timing to the max so it wouldnt feel so weak and ready to stall. anyways i limped it home just fine but am concerned that its likely bent valves.....im assuming best way to check without pulling the head off is a leak down and comp test right?

all help and advice greatly appreciated

engine OBD-0 B16A partially converted to obd-1
wiring harness 99 DX OBD2 converted to run V-tec
ECU OBD2B p2T
GSR s80/y80 non lsd
Old 07-13-2014, 04:18 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16A Timing belt slipped Needs help please!

A compression test would be step 1, with a leakdown test being step 2, but considering that you actually tried to drive the car with a jacked up timing belt, it's very possible that you damaged the head.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check the timing before you do a compression test. Then correct the timing. Then do a comp test.

If the test proves out fine, you just need to buy and install timing components. No biggie.

If the test is bad...you likely felt up some valves with your piston. Those pistons are so hands-ey sometimes.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah im thinking thats the case since i heard some metallic banging before it totally slipped off but maybe I had some luck and it didnt wreck the valves....but with what it was doing after we reset TDC on everything I just dont know what to think. fingers crossed our improv timing job was just ****.
if I do end up needing to replace the valves anyone have a recommendation on what i should upgrade it with? plan is keeping it all motor
Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE!!!!.......

Ok so today I went ahead and replaced the timing belt and tensioner and adjusted timing to just about perfect from what i could tell and boy It runs damn near perfect like it used to.
anyways I went ahead and did a compression test right after sorting out the timing but before running it so I could get an idea of what to expect from the car and hear are the results
Just FYI this was after the car has sat for about a week so it was totally cold
#1" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />
#2" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />
#3" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />
#4" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />

ok so not too bad across the board aprox a 15psi spread so not too bad I hope for a first gen JDM b16A,although that #4 kinda worries me anyone have a take on that
Now for the weird part after turning it on running it for about 20 mins the driving it for about 2 miles I heard a horrible metal noise and next thing ya know the valve cover portion thats over the cam gears stress fractures right the hell off!!! anyone seen that happen before?
" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />
" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />
Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

..goodluck
Old 07-21-2014, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha that sounds more like it was nice knowing ya..rip lol
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Compression tests needs to be done on a warm engine.

And that doesn't look like a stress fracture. It looks like a hack job.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

For real thats what I thought, as if someone didnt wanna take the valve cover off to put the belt on lol but now how is the timing cover gonna stay on
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
For real thats what I thought, as if someone didnt wanna take the valve cover off to put the belt on lol but now how is the timing cover gonna stay on
A lot of people purposely cut that part of the valve cover for that mAd jDm look yO. They also remove the timing cover for +5hp

See:

Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Why not get a lexin or plexi timing cover instead. OP you should replace your valve cover
Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'm not a fan of that look. It's looks neat sitting there but in real world driving I'm skeptical on how long it will last before something like a rock or whatever finds its way to damaging it.......guess ill check the market place for someone's mad jdm red painted one =P lol
Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK so its not so fixed after all.......

So after thinking everything over at work today I figured hey the belt probably is'nt as nice and tight as i thought and thats what may have helped crack the valve cover......
looks like maybe a bit of belt rub and something getting in there or caught by the belt and rocketed into the timing cover part of the valve cover.

and then I said hey let me start it back up and watch the belts in all there rock solid tightend up glory and found out that nope I royally F#$&* something up...I think

this is a video^
Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow...that video...

Turn that engine off.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah only ran it for about a minute just to see that wow its no where near ok to run......the surging idle thing has been something Ive been trying to get sorted for a couple weeks now...no luck with cleaning the IACV and FITV