Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a swap or turboed single

Old 05-20-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a swap or turboed single

ok first off: i cant decide on turboed single or b16 swap. Itll go in a 92 cx.

b16 swap
Ive been doing some research and from what ive read to swap id need a del sol vtec ac bracket if i want ac, and an integra PS pump.
I was wondering because i read it somewhere unless i read it wrong but instead of buying like hassport mounts could i use 94 integra motor mounts for this swap?

Turbo single
Havent done much research, but if i was to buy a full kit brand new, build the sohc to hold to the boost, and getting it tuned properly.

How much would each run if a shop was doing the work? I know swap would run me about 3500, what about turbo?
What would be my best bet?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: b16a swap or turboed single (hondaracing1)

TTT
Old 05-20-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: b16a swap or turboed single (hondaracing1)

pick one, and stick with it.

<FONT COLOR="blue">Pros on the turbo single cam:</FONT>
No extra motor parts to buy at the current time. just slap the kit on there, and you gain instant horse-power. Then, slowly upgrade the motor, and go even faster.

<FONT COLOR="red">Cons on the turbo single cam:</FONT>
That CX motor is rated at something like 78 HP stock. 78 freakin horse power? even with a pre-designed turbo kit from that car, you wont even see as much gian from it as a STOCK b16 swap. Further more, that CX motor is designed for economy and gas milage, putting a turbo on it is only asking it to blow up within a week, i mean hell, the damn thing only has half the amount of valves of a DX motor, which i also wouldnt recommend turbo'ing if it was stock

<FONT COLOR="blue">Pro's on the B16 swap</FONT>
Dual over head cam VTEC. something the CX motor will never know
The power gained from just that swap alone will surpass the SOHC turbo setup
So much MORE up-gradeablility with parts
interchangeability with other DOHC motors. Bottom ends, heads, cams, and so on
You can still turbo the B16 later, and gain even more HP
less limited power... a SOHC can only produce so much no matter how much parts/money you dump into it, a B series will double the power of any single cam, if you put the same comparable mods into them
Reliability and high RPM's. id take a B16 across country WAY before a CX, and you can rap the b16 out to 8k all day long... try that in a 6200rpm rev limited CX motor

<FONT COLOR="red"> Cons on the B16:</FONT>
Price
Time to install, or cost to install
That is all that i can really see on a downside.

either way the choice is up to you... my advice, wait for the b16 swap... its amazing how quickly you get used to power and speed... and it is so addictive, you'll swap it out and turbo the next motor you'll get anyways... id skip it and wait for the b16

either way, stick to one plan, and plan well... dont cheap out on parts, or half assed jerry rigging stratigies. and good luck to you
Old 05-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, if you had a d16z6 I would say to throw a turbo on there and boost it.....but w/ the cx engine, it really won't be as much fun. The b16 will be fun and a much better platform to modify.

I had a 95 ex w/ a fully built d16z6 w/ a custom turbo kit....it was a lot of fun, but now I have a built all motor b16....still alot of fun in a different way. Just about what you want out of the car really.

But about price.....you can piece together a really nice turbo for the d16 for under 2k w/ mostly all new parts tuned and everything.

-jase
Old 05-20-2005, 09:46 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: b16a swap or turboed single (Simple)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Simple &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pick one, and stick with it.

<FONT COLOR="blue">Pros on the turbo single cam:</FONT>
No extra motor parts to buy at the current time. just slap the kit on there, and you gain instant horse-power. Then, slowly upgrade the motor, and go even faster.

<FONT COLOR="red">Cons on the turbo single cam:</FONT>
That CX motor is rated at something like 78 HP stock. 78 freakin horse power? even with a pre-designed turbo kit from that car, you wont even see as much gian from it as a STOCK b16 swap. Further more, that CX motor is designed for economy and gas milage, putting a turbo on it is only asking it to blow up within a week, i mean hell, the damn thing only has half the amount of valves of a DX motor, which i also wouldnt recommend turbo'ing if it was stock

<FONT COLOR="blue">Pro's on the B16 swap</FONT>
Dual over head cam VTEC. something the CX motor will never know
The power gained from just that swap alone will surpass the SOHC turbo setup
So much MORE up-gradeablility with parts
interchangeability with other DOHC motors. Bottom ends, heads, cams, and so on
You can still turbo the B16 later, and gain even more HP
less limited power... a SOHC can only produce so much no matter how much parts/money you dump into it, a B series will double the power of any single cam, if you put the same comparable mods into them
Reliability and high RPM's. id take a B16 across country WAY before a CX, and you can rap the b16 out to 8k all day long... try that in a 6200rpm rev limited CX motor

<FONT COLOR="red"> Cons on the B16:</FONT>
Price
Time to install, or cost to install
That is all that i can really see on a downside.

either way the choice is up to you... my advice, wait for the b16 swap... its amazing how quickly you get used to power and speed... and it is so addictive, you'll swap it out and turbo the next motor you'll get anyways... id skip it and wait for the b16

either way, stick to one plan, and plan well... dont cheap out on parts, or half assed jerry rigging stratigies. and good luck to you
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is not true. I know of turbo'd SOHC's that rape DOHC's allday long. I mean, no one has love for the D anymore. I am building my z6 to push 15-17 lbs. daily. yes, there are more options and potential with a DOHC, but the look on their face when they get beat by an SOHC is just priceless. but it really all depends on what you want. If you want reliablilty go with the B, b/c a stock B will be more reliable than a turbo D that has been properly tuned. Im biased but I say buy a z6, and turbo it. Im an SOHC soldier.

"The power gained from just that swap alone will surpass the SOHC turbo setup"

how is it a turbo'd z6 can put down 200 at the wheels pushing only 6.5 lbs yet a stock b16 can only put down maybe 130 at the wheels??
Old 05-20-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: b16a swap or turboed single (egcoupe94)

look at what hes building and the plan he has with it...

a stock CX motor, with a basic pre-made turbo kit. im assuming this along the lines of a greddy kit, with no intercooler, or BOV. just the basic bolt on kit... i may be assuming the wrong idea completely, but based of the statements included by the creator of this thread.... thats what i came up with

i stand by my statements. this is no built z6 turbo motor... i didnt say that a stock b16 will own a turbo z6 did i? what i DID say, was a stock CX with a basic turbo kit, will not have the power or reliability of a stock b16. get your facts straight.

now if you'd like to argue about **** sizes... please direct all future statements to that brick wall over there... thanks
Old 05-21-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: b16a swap or turboed single (Simple)

no no no its not the cx motor the car currently dont have a motor so if i was to go turbo it would probably be a z6. But yeah i think b16 is what im deciding on, i just gotta do alot more research and find **** out....but thanks everyone
Old 05-21-2005, 06:29 AM
most hood white kid

you said the power gained by the swap will surpass the SOHC tubo upgrade, basically saying it will put out more power. you can get a z6 swap for fairly cheap(400-500) and piece together a turbo kit for about 2000, that right there is cheaper than a stock b16, and would definately take the b16(if properly tuned). I got my facts straight, do you? I do not intend on turning this into an SOHC vs. DOHC thread or N/a vs. Turbo, but by the looks of things, that's where it's headed.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (egcoupe94)

The way I see it, I'd start with SOHC Turbo. Build a cheap t3 kit, tune it cheap. If done right, it'll hang with b16 no prob...for less $$, but more time/work. If it blows, z6/y8 swaps are cheap & plentiful. I'm getting a full ecu/trans/block/axles z6 swap for $250, and have another minus ecu lined up for $200. After you get more cash, a b16 swap can be done, all you'd need is slightly modded piping, swap the t3 for a t3/t04 & get a mani. The old mani/t3 can be sold to pay for a good b mani.

This is my plan after I find an EF & sell my EG-B18. Just look for sohc setups & compair d16 dyno sheets (turbod16.com) to stock b16's...much better torque curve IMHO.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (HiProfile)

Start with the b16.... much more fun... and if you want to go boosting...

boost a b16... choose d16 on 8 psi...b16@ 8psi...

i think that's a differance of 100bhp....
Old 05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
most hood white kid

a b16 @ 8 psi vs. a d16 @ 8 psi is a differece of 100bhp? try again man. there is only about 32 hp more on a b16(usdm w/ only 160 bhp) than a d16z6 with 127 bp. i don't know hwere u are getting a difference of 100 hp.