Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A Spraying Oil? NEED INSIGHT PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 B16A Spraying Oil? NEED INSIGHT PLEASE!!

im new to this site and **** soo yeah. i have a spraying leak in my 92 Dx Hatchy with a B16A.. JDM mind you. buuut... i dont know whats doing this... i have spray off of oil all the way over to the passenger side strut bay all over my rad hoses my intake and ****.. i need this fixed asap. i dont know what can cause that much of a high pressure spray off?? does anyone know here? i was maybe thinking that it could be my Vtec Solenoid gaskets? or maybe my cam seal or even the dizzy o ring? im not really sure what can cause that far and much of a spray off.... i dont loose a massive amount of oil... i get like 3000km bfore i need to re-up my oil. soo? any one have any sort of an idea lmfao. i am new to the Honda World soo... i am new

thanks

Brandon
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B16A Spraying Oil? NEED INSIGHT PLEASE!!

Check your inner CV Boots, they will spray grease everywhere if ripped
Old 03-07-2010, 02:47 PM

My CV boots... i have heard of those before but dont remember what they are or what it stands for... refresh me? lmao... thanks though man
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Constant-Velocity shaft boots, they are part of your front axles which hold the grease for your CV joints. You should spray off your engine bay and start it up and see if you can tell where it is leaking/spraying from.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:58 PM

REALLY... oh yeah... **** thats *****... if this helps my steering is really really creaky and sounds like its screaming everytime i turn its brutal... is there a connection? lmfao
Old 03-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya that could be your noise/grease problem, look under your car and see if your CV boots are torn
Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably not, the creak is most likely ball joints, and the screaming is probably the power steering pump not sure if you have though because its a swap, also just degrease your engine bay and get it clean to isolate the problem and tell us the area where it's spraying so we can actually try to help,
Old 03-07-2010, 03:12 PM

what will it look like when torn? like where exactly do i look ? and how would it be reaching my upper engine bay and... the spray off of oil on my rad hoses is like on the side facing the engine and a little bit underneath... soo? hmm? im still worried there too and now more worried about the price on getting a new axle and new coots if they are torn
Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM

true say shogee.. thanks on that one ... i was planning on doing it tonight lmao... so i can see where the spray is from... and yeah i have the lower ball joints.. and i hat upper ball joints installed in like july/aug of 09' to correct my camber... my tow was huge off... but yeah i hope thats the issue with the creaking and i do have power steering i included it with the swap... so that could maybe be it as well if that helps... but i will for sure degrease it. whats good for degreaser ? cause ill just spray it on wait a min then power wash it off...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you have 2 CV boots per axle, one on each side. just look at them, it is pretty self explanatory if they are torn plus there will be grease everywhere. When you turn it will make a clicking noise instead of a creak, so i agree the creak probably is a ball joint.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM

ok sweet well i will deffinately look at that tomorrow... is it like a hazzard or threat to have torn Cv boots? like will my car buckle on the highway or what happens? lmao just kinda worried and dont wanna die... you know how it is lol
Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it wont buckle like if a ball joint would break. but if it did break you would have to tow it home.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:48 PM

fuuuck... lol well i deffinately need to get that checked out asap lmfao. if they are torn do i have to replace the axle or just get new boots and have them installed?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can just get the boots replaced if they are torn but sometimes just replacing the axle is cheaper.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:11 PM

THE AXLE COMES WITH NEW BOOTS ALREADY? lol or?? cause i have heard boots cost like 15 bucks a piece and the axle is around 150 including takes
Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if you are doing this yourself instead of taking it to a shop then replacing the boots will be cheaper. Replacing the boots takes more labor so a shop would charge you more for labor and less for parts. And yes a new axle will come with new boots.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:32 PM

repacking CV joints with grease is no fun, and if they are torn, the joint itself is likely no good due to dirt getting in there. These folks are in Toronto:
http://www.torontojdm.com/lite/cart....ategory_id=126 pictures and everything.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:35 PM

lol where would i find a decent after market axle or even stock thats in good condition///and how much is that going to set me back??
Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, its easy to replace the boots. It is however one of the messiest jobs I've ever done. It sounds like you just noticed the fresh splatter of oil/grease which means the boot probably just went out on you. Which also means the bearings are probably still okay. Clean the bearings out thoroughly with degreaser and re-pack them with axle grease and slip on a new boot. The job takes a couple hours, but its much cheaper then new axles. If the boot did rip it is easy to tell. Just look at the axle on each end and check the rubber boot it will be a mess.

The screaming noise is something else. Look into what other people have mentioned.

And to prevent future issues check your boots every time you do an oil change. When you're down there they are in front of your face anyways. They typically start to crack before ripping. Cracked boot = replace
Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM

ok lol... and i have had this spraying issue since id say august of 09'.... i first saw it leaking down the front of the block and around where the head meets the block then i noticed oil spray off cause it was on my hoses all the way over to the passenger side air box bay... and i thought it was my head gasket leaking but it wouldnt spray. and i noticed the creaking in my axle like when it started getting cold like 3 degrees or less outside.... so im not sure i really wanna figure this out
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM

so i found out what it was thats leaking. well i did as you all saqid, got degreaser, sprayed it on my block head and dizzy, vtec solenoid and gaskets and then pressure gently pressure washed away the oil. i went for a rip back to my house. popped the hood and see the leak coming from right at the bottom of the vtec solenoid. where it almost meets the block (but not quite) so i found out that culprit. its not my cam seal that im sure of i took some pics but i have to figure out how to get them on here lol... but question. i cleaned my air box bay of the spayed oil as well. i can see my CV boots are not torn but the passenger side one is however creaky? whats up with that then... just needs to be repacked? and will the solenoid spray oil when im ripping it and can that explain the oil sprayying all over the passenger side of the engine bay? thanks for the help guys!!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it does explain a lot, there is high oil pressure at the vtec solenoid, take it off and check the gasket
Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's probably the distributor o-ring, mine was leaking and it sprays all over the place, I had to clean up the engine then drive it like you did to see where the leak was.

Go to a honda dealership or something and get a new o-ring, its like $2 maybe and really easy to change.

It also could be the vtec solenoid gasket, thats also cheap and easy to change so it wouldnt hurt to replace that too.