Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a no vtec

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a no vtec

hi guys,
I have a '99 si with a b16a in it from japan. Yesterday after work i was cruising home and wanted to get on it real quick. i revved up the rpms but vtec didn't kick on at all. i checked my oil and its full. could this be a bad solenoid? if so, must i have a b16a solenoid for it to work or can it be from some other vtec engine? how could i check to see if the solenoid is kicking on or not? let me know. thanks.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a no vtec (akuma_delsol)

How do you know it didn't kick on? You shouldn't 'feel' VTEC if everything is running properly, and it's tough to hear on the SOHC engines.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a no vtec (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you know it didn't kick on? You shouldn't 'feel' VTEC if everything is running properly, and it's tough to hear on the SOHC engines.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
uh *** if it is a 99 si its a dohc engine i shouldnt even have to say that. was the car properly warmed up? if i didnt let my coupe which had a b16 in it warm up it wouldnt hit vtec these engines need to be at proper operating temp.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: b16a no vtec (gunmetalej)

any codes, caz if you had a bad soleniod you would be throwing a code
Old 12-28-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: b16a no vtec (young noob)

yes, the car was at a normal operating temperature. i always let my car warm up before i drive it. it had hit the day before. it will let me rev pass the vtec engeging point at 5600 5800 rpms, but the vtec doesn't kick on, and IT is a dohc vtec engine so yes i can tell the difference. do you think it could be a bad solenoid or ecu? and how could i check the codes. i don't have an obd2 scanner. any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a no vtec (gunmetalej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gunmetalej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
uh *** if it is a 99 si its a dohc engine i shouldnt even have to say that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry buddy, I misread. People make mistakes sometimes.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok is it throwing codes? if it is the check engine light will be on.

Not sure how checking codes works on obd2, on obd1 you can jump the diagnostic connector using a paperclip and read the blips of the CEL to determine the code.

If your diag. conn. has 2 pins, you can check it in this way.

If the solenoid was bad, it would throw a code, same thing if there was low oil pressure.

Were you full throttle? VTEC wont engage if your part throttle and in the "VTEC Engagement Zone".

If its not throwing any codes im gonna guess that you werent on it hard enough or it is kicking in and you just arent recognizing it...

chances of your ecu being bad are pretty damn slim- and a lot of other stuff would be going wrong too if that was the case
Old 12-28-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok is it throwing codes? if it is the check engine light will be on.

Not sure how checking codes works on obd2, on obd1 you can jump the diagnostic connector using a paperclip and read the blips of the CEL to determine the code.

If your diag. conn. has 2 pins, you can check it in this way.

If the solenoid was bad, it would throw a code, same thing if there was low oil pressure.

Were you full throttle? VTEC wont engage if your part throttle and in the "VTEC Engagement Zone".

If its not throwing any codes im gonna guess that you werent on it hard enough or it is kicking in and you just arent recognizing it...

chances of your ecu being bad are pretty damn slim- and a lot of other stuff would be going wrong too if that was the case </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any codes, caz if you had a bad soleniod you would be
throwing a code</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks for going into detail, so i didnt have to
Old 12-28-2005, 09:18 AM

yeah i just checked it with a jumper harness to check the cel and it is throwing a code 7. what is that? is it different for obd1 and obd 2? let me know.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akuma_delsol)

code 7 obd2 = Throttle Position Circuit??? If your vtec's not working it would probably throw a 22

Modified by Rev2Eight_EM1 at 2:37 PM 12/28/2005
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (Rev2Eight_EM1)

well, i found out my tps is shot. but would that affect vtec?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akuma_delsol)

Yes, because throttle position is one of the triggers for VTEC, along with RPM.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Were you full throttle? VTEC wont engage if your part throttle and in the "VTEC Engagement Zone".</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh.... my car ( d16z6 ) and my friends car ( b16 ) both in 92 civics will engage vtec at partial throttle you do not have to be full throttle... u have to remember.. from honda vtec was not meant to be a power adder.. it was meant to help with fuel economy.. maybe thats just the d series but still... i can hear it open up at 1/4 throttle

yes code 7 tps will affect vtec and really so will pretty much any other code
Old 12-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhh.... my car ( d16z6 ) and my friends car ( b16 ) both in 92 civics will engage vtec at partial throttle you do not have to be full throttle... u have to remember.. from honda vtec was not meant to be a power adder.. it was meant to help with fuel economy.. maybe thats just the d series but still... i can hear it open up at 1/4 throttle
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no. vtec was made for fuel economy, yes. So you use the less aggressive lobe while in low throttle and rpms and the more aggressive lobe at full throttle higher rpms. Do you even know what your talking about?

And no, vtec will not engage at partial throttle. I have a GSR tranny, it is geared very short, i can be cruising at around 90mph and be in VTEC range but not in VTEC cause im not full throttle. THIS IS FOR FUEL ECONOMY. I dont know how better to explain it to you. If your not 3/4-full throttle in the higher rpms vtec will not engage in order to improve your MPG.

If it does engage in 1/4 throttle situations, then every time i cruise 80mph on the highway i would be always in VTEC, and thats simply not the case.

ugh
Old 12-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no. vtec was made for fuel economy, yes. So you use the less aggressive lobe while in low throttle and rpms and the more aggressive lobe at full throttle higher rpms. Do you even know what your talking about?

And no, vtec will not engage at partial throttle. I have a GSR tranny, it is geared very short, i can be cruising at around 90mph and be in VTEC range but not in VTEC cause im not full throttle. THIS IS FOR FUEL ECONOMY. I dont know how better to explain it to you. If your not 3/4-full throttle in the higher rpms vtec will not engage in order to improve your MPG.

If it does engage in 1/4 throttle situations, then every time i cruise 80mph on the highway i would be always in VTEC, and thats simply not the case.

ugh </TD></TR></TABLE> vtec-e is made for fuel economy and negative, vtec can be on without being WOT. All the motors I drove hit vtec partial throttle. ECU reads that the motor has needs to be at load before getting vtec.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNKNOWN_MEMBER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> vtec-e is made for fuel economy and negative, vtec can be on without being WOT. All the motors I drove hit vtec partial throttle. ECU reads that the motor has needs to be at load before getting vtec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

vtec-e is made to use even less gas then regular vtec when it kicks to the higher lobes. thus vtec "economy". All I know if i can be 1/4 throttle in vtec range and it wont kick in till i give it at least 1/2-full throttle.

so what ur telling me is that when im on the highway going 80mph-90mph im always in vtec. That would mean i get about &lt;15mpg highway which is just not the case.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My VTEC engages at part throttle on my b16...but I am running a crome chip. Maybe that has something to do with it
Old 12-28-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: (_gurusan_)

It really depends on what you define as "partial throttle". The ECu must see a certian percentage of throttle opening, engine operating temperature (for USDM motors), and vehicle speed exceeding a certian amount in order to energize he Vtec solenoid.

Yes, a bad TPS on a stock computer will keep vtec from engaging.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

vtec-e is made to use even less gas then regular vtec when it kicks to the higher lobes. thus vtec "economy". All I know if i can be 1/4 throttle in vtec range and it wont kick in till i give it at least 1/2-full throttle.

so what ur telling me is that when im on the highway going 80mph-90mph im always in vtec. That would mean i get about &lt;15mpg highway which is just not the case.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i am not sure on this subject of vtec engagement and and wot or partial, it doesnt help either that i have a d16y7 , but just caz your going 80-90 mph, doesnt mean vtec has to be engaged, that would also depend on what gear you are in, which in turn would affect how high the rpms are...........higher mph+lower gear=higher rpms, higher mph+higher gear=lower rpms