Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a cold start high idle, surging off cold idle-NOT FITV or IAC problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 b16a cold start high idle, surging off cold idle-NOT FITV or IAC problem

So obviously, there are plenty of threads out there talking about sticky IAC fixes, and FITV coming unthreaded and the obvious but sometimes tricky vacuum leaks.

This is for those out there that have gone through the TPS, IAC, FITV, MAP, etc.. My issue came from incorrect install of 70mm TB and Skunk 2 Intake

I recently got back in the the scene looking for a Golden Era ek1, and upon coming across an immaculate LOW MILEAGE eg6 that was put together with love and knowledge for an unbeatable price the choice was easy.

The reason for the great price was the majority of ancillaries were removed in prep for NA street build.

Few hours into the reassemble it was the moment of truth, and after bleeding the cooling system (because a trapped air pocket can also cause the haunting/surging), full inspection and hoist check i moved to find the suspected vacuum leak.

Contacted seller regarding the idle and he assured me she was purring before the tear down, although he had swapped the stock intake for the Skunk2 and 70mm TB while the car sat.

1st ck'd the intake for leak w/ carb clean (when you have a vacuum leak and ck'ing w/ any type of flammable aerosol you are looking for the idle to drop in rpm's) Found the top cyl 3 & 4 intake bolts loose upon further ck the combo of thickness from the thermal gasket and s2 intake only left 2 threads exposed. Hence there were a few stripped threads pulled the intake and the trusty tap & die set out (8mm x 1.25 i wanna say was the thread pitch) some new nuts and no more "intake" vacuum leak.

To my dismay still w/ high idle

Back to the can-o carb clean.. Found another vacuum leak @ TB to intake.. Pulled TB and found old stock style TB gasket that was not sealing the FITV chambers

used old TB gasket as template w/ some universal gasket paper from an old.,. OLD, Turbo build and just added the lower missing section in my stencil, and cut out with x-acto blade and sucess!

Hope this helps someone out there struggeling with the dreaded surging idle.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b16a cold start high idle, surging off cold idle-NOT FITV or IAC problem

Sounds like a vacuum leak