Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16a barely moves, idles weird after sk2 intake swap*******PLEAS HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 B16a barely moves, idles weird after sk2 intake swap*******PLEAS HELP

Okay here's the issue and it's driving me nuts. I have a Del Sol with the JDM b16a sirII. The car has ran great and I have not had one single issue since engine swap, over 1 year. I recently just changed to a skunk2 proSeries intake manifold which is bored 70 mm, and a skunk2 throttlebody 70 mm. Aem fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator. I put on an exhaust header and also an aluminum radiator at the same time. Okay so here's my issue after installing everything and checking for fuel leaks on the rail I started the car and it started right up. I adjusted the idle to about 6-700 to start. After letting the car run for a little while it would randomly drop an idol and then raise up every minute or so. When I push the gas slowly seems to rev just fine. But if I press the gas fast it seems to have a pause then rev and sometimes it's boggy on the rev. So after letting it sit and idle for a while I decided to drive it around the block. When I take off slowly it's very boggy and when I push the gas the car barely moves but the engine is revving. If I Floor it and try to go fast the engine just revs and the car barely moves. I adjusted the tps to the same ohms as on stock TB (.623 in my case) sk2 TB eliminates IACV. I don't believe it's a vacuum line (there is only 2 on the manifold and I plugged them with my finger and the car revved right up and pulsed on revving. I spayed carb cleaner to check for a manifold leak and it seemed like the rpms went up by not quite sure.

WOULD INTAKE MANIFOLD LEAK CAUSE THIS?

also if I put rtv sealant on manifold gasket and re torqued it would that work.

Please keep in mind that yesterday the car ran perfect. O2, cat, everything was fine.

I also don't have a fuel gauge to set the regulator, I kinda just left it where is was until I can adjust it properly (what pressure should I set, 43ish?)

Please help with this issue as this is my daily driver. Thanks a bunch
Old 06-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16a barely moves, idles weird after sk2 intake swap*******PLEAS HELP

Also when idling it will be at 1200 sometimes and the 2-300 sometimes. It's not back and forth but changes every few minutes or if I rev it when it's high it seems to get lower
Old 06-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16a barely moves, idles weird after sk2 intake swap*******PLEAS HELP

So I still haven't figured it out. I rechecked the tps...closed = .5v and open = 4.6v. Also it's idling pretty rough (shaking my mirror). And also if I push the gas a little it will pause (no sound) for a split second and if I hold the gas in that spot it starts spudering bogging and backfires a little. PLEASE HELP!! was thinking of taking off manifold and putting som rtv sealant on that bad boy so I can know for sure its not leaking and rule that out
Old 06-20-2015, 06:39 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You replaced your FPR, didn't properly set it, and you're wondering why your car isn't running right? I'm sorry, but is this meant to be a trick question?
Old 06-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Is timing off? Started car with 1 injector no plugged in

I swap my intake manifold and when I was testing to see if it ran I started the car after this it was running like crap and I looked and noticed one of the injector wires was not plugged in. Now the car runs like crap bogs down backfires with this cause my timing to go off
Old 06-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok just so you can laugh at me.....remember I said I left the regulator where it was. WELL is was all the way off. All I did was open it a little bit and poof car runs like it did. I know I know, I'm a moron! Live and learn.

Now time to take it for a good tune.
No any good places near Anaheim,ca?
Old 06-20-2015, 07:28 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Church Automotive Tuning |

Be ready for his dyno to make you feel inadequate. He's good at that.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha yeah, I'm not expecting much. I still dumb founded on how this went over my head. I was about to go through timing next.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Is timing off? Started car with 1 injector no plugged in

Are the plug wires and injector clips installed in the correct firing orders?