Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16 vs k20

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 vs k20

what do you think is a better motor for an eg6 hatch...b16 or k20?..and which series of the motor? ex.k20a2
Old 03-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 vs k20 (lilxjay)

You need to search friend.

You are comparing geo metro motor to ferrari motor here.

Do you have roughly $10,000 to put a k20 in your eg or roughly $5000 to swap a b16 in your eg? Which is better? Obviously the k20, and even more when you throw mods on it.

Do some research, you will find a lot of info.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:06 PM

why dont you get what is in between, b18c
Old 03-09-2008, 10:13 PM

Default Re: b16 vs k20 (EJcharlie)

lol, there is also a civette in here..
Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 vs k20 (Lscivic1999)

b18c is funnnn, i love the 6krpm+ powerband
Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have roughly $10,000 to put a k20 in your eg or roughly $5000 to swap a b16 in your eg? </TD></TR></TABLE> how you know he's buying it new a used k20 swap into a eg isnt 10k you can find a wrecked rsx and pull the motoro out...a b16 swap isnt 5k either unless your buying everything brand new my boy did a b16 swap in his eg cost him 1500$....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lscivic1999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, there is also a civette in here..</TD></TR></TABLE>
are you the guy with the ls1 in the hatch
Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so b16 are geo metros of honda motors now? haha
Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Re: (shadohconspiracy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v!taminb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
are you the guy with the ls1 in the hatch</TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;---- he wishes....
Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with part and if your doing the install yourself the k series will be extremely more expensive, i dont know how deep your pockets are and what you are trying to do? Drag? AutoCross? find out what you want to do and see what motor will be best suited for you, personally i would go with the k, but i dont have deep pockets so maybe a gsr would have to do or a bseries type r. K20A2 still goes for about 3-5k . all the junk yards and shops know k series are indemand and expect money for it
Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lscivic1999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are comparing geo metro motor to ferrari motor here.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
a b16 is nowhere close to being a geo metro

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadohconspiracy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so b16 are geo metros of honda motors now? haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what im saying i thought a d16 would be a geo metro not a b16
Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 vs k20 (v!taminb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by V!taminb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo »
Do you have roughly $10,000 to put a k20 in your eg or roughly $5000 to swap a b16 in your eg?
how you know he's buying it new a used k20 swap into a eg isnt 10k you can find a wrecked rsx and pull the motoro out...a b16 swap isnt 5k either unless your buying everything brand new my boy did a b16 swap in his eg cost him 1500$....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, so after you buy a k20 for like $4500 and then buy, mounts, wireharness, header, k-pro, exhaust shop labor, plugs, maybe timing belt, water pump etc if it needs it. All said and done its going to be a lot of money 8-10k.

And i know what your thinking, well im not thinking ghetto. Im fully aware that you can buy a motor and do a cheap *** ghetto swap. Wether you think its ghetto or not is really in the eye of the beholder but not everyone can do the swap themselves. Some people want a clean swap and have to pay full price for everything including labor.

p.s. b16's IMO are not the geo metro kinda crappy, but only when compared to k20's

edit: I don't know about any of you guys, but if im going to throw down thousands of dollars for a swap including motor, im not going to choose a low mileage or high mileage usdm motor. Unless you absolutely have to have a usdm motor, its all around better to go jdm. AFAIK no jdm b16 complete swap goes for 1500 bucks.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 vs k20 (blackdelslo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And i know what your thinking, well im not thinking ghetto. Im fully aware that you can buy a motor and do a cheap *** ghetto swap. Wether you think its ghetto or not is really in the eye of the beholder but not everyone can do the swap themselves. Some people want a clean swap and have to pay full price for everything including labor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well im sorry that you dont have to think ghetto [[do you even know what ghetto means]]maybe you have your mom and dad hand you money to work on your car but i didnt know finding a swap for cheap is "ghetto" i know plenty of pl whos ghetto swap look just as good as a profesional swap
Old 03-09-2008, 10:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OK, so after you buy a k20 for like $4500 and then buy, mounts, wireharness, header, k-pro, exhaust shop labor, plugs, maybe timing belt, water pump etc if it needs it. All said and done its going to be a lot of money 8-10k..</TD></TR></TABLE>

fuel rail and ETC, it will end-up costing you OP around 8ks..

im sure you will be happy with a gsr motor or even a b16, looks like you dont know much about this motors yet...search and good luck.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 vs k20 (v!taminb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">edit: I don't know about any of you guys, but if im going to throw down thousands of dollars for a swap including motor, im not going to choose a low mileage or high mileage usdm motor. Unless you absolutely have to have a usdm motor, its all around better to go jdm. AFAIK no jdm b16 complete swap goes for 1500 bucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

who said anything about a jdm swap for 1500...im sorry not everybody is a rich as you not everybody is willing to spend thosands of $$ on a swap
Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackdelslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b18c is funnnn, i love the 6krpm+ powerband</TD></TR></TABLE>

B18C Here. FTW!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by V!taminb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well im sorry that you dont have to think ghetto [[do you even know what ghetto means]]maybe you have your mom and dad hand you money to work on your car but i didnt know finding a swap for cheap is "ghetto" i know plenty of pl whos ghetto swap look just as good as a profesional swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow.. if your going to debate something atleast be mature about it. Thanks.

Anyways. I didn't elaborate on exactly what ghetto means. When I say ghetto and professional, i dont mean by who does it. You know what sets the two apart? The ghetto swap cuts corners, which technically isn't the end of the world but while you may be buying a header for your new swap that you got from some guy, im making sure that the motor I paid good money for has a new timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, dist cap etc. Or lowering your car on lowering springs if you dont have much money but not saving for a little bit more for a camber kit. I to know many people who skip these things. But why?

And again, finding a motor for cheap is awesome, if someone gave me a b16 swap for $500 i would not have a $500 b16 swap, that would be stupid. I would put some, if not all the money it would have originaly costed me if not for saving money on the motor into making sure the motor was healthy and reliable.

You cant really disagree with that can you?

Not thats its any of your business but no, my mommy and daddy haven't handed me anything since I was 16, which was 5 years ago. These days, I pay my rent, my honda, gas, food, school etc... and what do you know even my motor swaps, what a concept!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by V!taminb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who said anything about a jdm swap for 1500...im sorry not everybody is a rich as you not everybody is willing to spend thosands of $$ on a swap
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look, thats totally fine that you dont have a ton of money for a swap, shoot, i know i didnt when i was young. Just because your not in the position to do it right/the way it probaly should be done, doesn't mean you have to shoot other people down about high costs. Also, if I were rich, I would not be modding a del sol like I am. Sorry If i offended you.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright super simple, blackdelsol you are thinking way to retail. Im not trying to hate and no harm done in this post, but the prices you are saying are outrageous, oh and by the way he said nothing about a jdm b16 or k motor, hes just asking the general difference. First off if lilxjay is going from a d series with no mods or even with mods then either motor especially the k will be way more powerful. In all honestly if you are just getting into it and this is your first swap i would do b16 and as others stated or gsr . With a b16 or gsr you could use the extra cash on top dog bolt ons and get it tuned and have a built motor that is still reliable and able to swap back to d and b series motor with no problems. You are not looking at the cons. If you as stated before have deep pockets then by all means k series is awesome. but as a budget builder, (which regardless what anyone says you will have a budget). overall for the money b series is still the way to go hands down for the cost and down time compared to k series. Im happy with my b and i am soon to go k but i have been in the b motors for the last 5+ years in my cars. So going to k series would only make sense. But in my eyes if you are just getting into it ( which i dont know if you are or not) then go b series. For less then 5 k you could have a poor mans r motor with super nice boltons and cams and tune and have one quick car. for that same money you would only be able to get the k20a2 and mounts and minor essentials for the swap. DOnt forget the additional cutting and modifcations you will run into when doing k series. You do have the option to go mini k aka k20 out of the si hatchs, slower yes, but cheaper = hella cheaper. but downside is in my eyes going through all the cutting and modifications you could have saved time and money and still gone b. But once again this is only if you are getting into it and new to b and k series. but it seriously comes down to compiling what you have seen here on ht and putting it in your head and thinking to yourself what you really want and can you afford downtime and etc.

hope that helps and good luck
Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You n00bs haven't heard of an analogy?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a joke? There's no way this is a serious question. You guys are getting all worked up for nothing.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no one is getting worked up what so ever, just stating my ideas and i dont know much about what he knows. So maybe he dosnt know anything at all or maybe he is hella smart and has been into cars but not hondas. So a question is a question. comments like these ^^^ are worthless where as mine are hopefully useful. I have no clue if this guy is jocking or not, but you were a noob in the past as well. So dont think everyone knows everything on honda-tech.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Research. Figure out which option fits your budget and is a better option for your goals. The k20 is obviously going to be more expensive than the B16, but depending on your budget and application, it may be a better choice.