Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 VS H22 PRICE

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 VS H22 PRICE

OK I HAVE A 94 HATCHBACK (EG) I WAS CHECKING OUT MOTORS ON JHPUSA.COM AND I SAW THE JDM B16A 92-95 SiR2 170HP /113TQ. Engine Swap FOR 2,200.00 USD AND A JDM H22A 92-95 200HP/161TQ. Engine Swap FOR 2,100.00 I DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND WHY IS THAT LIKE THAT 2 MOTORS ON THE SAME YR ONE 1.6 AND THE OTHER 2.2 AND THE H22 IS CHEAPER AND ITS A 2.2 I KNOW THAT THE MOTOR MOUNTS FROM HASPORT ARE CHEAPER FOR A B16 THEN FOR A H22 BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ? I ACTUALLY PREFER A H22 FOR THE EG BUT ILL LIKE FOR SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN THIS TO ME THANK YOU
Old 09-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 VS H22 PRICE (ILOVEJDM_HONDAS)

Old 09-11-2006, 12:44 PM

Time = money
Old 09-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turn off your caps lock button. It's a pretty good question though. The amount of mods available might have something to do with it
Old 09-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Re: (Tuesdaynightfever)

IS THAT THE EXPLANATION?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: (ILOVEJDM_HONDAS)

b16 = complete drop in.
h22 = a lot of time, custom parts (axles, shift linkage, mounts), and modification.

/thread. and next time, search.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Not to be confused with "THE MAN"

We sell H22's for less than B16's mostley because they are not so popular. And the fact that they are not as well desired means you have to off set that by dropping the price. You do this to make it wanted, the hope that when the buyer gets the hasport mounts and custom axels they also buy it from us. Thats the reason we do and quite sure thats why other shops do so as well.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: (THE GUY)

whats the website for ur company or the company you work for?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:02 PM

go to http://www.hmotorsonline.com , very popular site to buy engines from.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Not to be confused with "THE MAN"

http://www.Rimsandthings.com I'm only there to work for parts now so I you call up there talk to ROb or Bash. Also update Importing whole cars is on pause for a bit since it is illegal now. ( or so we were told by the us customs officer) But thats just a whole other story
Old 09-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (THE GUY)

Alot of shops will sell the h22 complete swaps cheaper than the B16s because they hope that the buyer will buy all the neccasry parts from them. One of my friends got hooked up wih an h22, hasport mounts, and the axles(I think they were also from hasport) for 2900 flat out the door (100 off plus no tax...he paid all cash...he installed it himself)
Old 09-14-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: (broketuner-sol_si)

im going to put in a B16A 2550.00 with motor mounts
Old 09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ as knockout said.. that price is just for the motors.. youll ned many other things to make the swap work .. on the other hand b16 is a complete, easy swap.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ILOVEJDM_HONDAS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im going to put in a B16A 2550.00 with motor mounts</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a good decision. This guy....bad decision:

Old 09-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a simple decision...do you like torque and don't mind the extra hassle then go with the h22 but if you want a drop in swap get a b18c or ls/v-tec. anyway personally i think that i'd go with the h22 for the EG chassis that's what i'm going to go with when i get a swap. torque FTW!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Re: (mighty_sol)

Im going to go with a jdm spec b16a 170hp and ill do a couple of things to it but i thing $2550.00 is a good price for both motor and the mounts, ill be doing this swap with my cousin which he is a mechanic and have alot of experience this will work out
Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like was said earlier, popularity has a lot to do with the price. i presonally have a b20 with a b16 vtec head and i paid 3400 for a complete swap and thats for a fully built motor. where as a lot of place i check wanted around 3100-3400 just for a GSR or an LS/Vtec. those are much more popular engines. my buddy has an h22 in his eg. its pretty fast, and really tourquie (is that a word?) like my b20vtec. only downside to an h series motor is that i believe they are a bit longer than the b series cause my buddie's scrapes all the time. so...just dont lower your car too much.

hope that may have helped.

oh yeah, the b16 parts are much easier to find due to the fact that they are pretty popular and that most bseries parts are interchangeable, whereas an h22 isnt as popualr of a swap. so what you save in money with the h series motor you spend in custom installation and parts.

depends exactly on what you want.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and good choice with the b16. never underestimate that motor.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Earthworm Jim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turn off your caps lock button. It's a pretty good question though. The amount of mods available might have something to do with it </TD></TR></TABLE>

The ammount of mods has NOTHING to do with it. Yes, I suppose it's a very good question, if you consider it's only been covered 50,000 times (not the full 1 million) ALL OVER honda-tech.

Though him turning off his caps lock button I'd have to agree with you .

As for why?

JDM B16's complete drop in, 100% easy as cake no mods neccessary, mounts right up, etc. etc.

H22 requires custom modifications to fit in perfectly, that's the reason it's cheaper, in and of itself it's a harder engine to install and A LOT of people do not want to be bothered with the cutting and **** you have to do to the block (although I've heard rumours of a new mount kit where you don't have to do that now, same w/ the axles) and custom axles and **** like that.

Also, there's the handling effect. Unless you're going in a straight line, the motor's ******* useless. Nice motor as far as power goes (as you obviously read it made nice hp/tq. numbers), so it's good for a DRAG car. It's got a rediculous ammount of understeer though. Reason being - if you ever look at the prelude, you can see it's kinda set back, the weight's more evenly distributed between the front and the back when the engine's included. On a civic it's not, there's too much weight up front and less pressure on the springs in the back. What does that mean? Lower spring life in the front (and since you usually replace all 4, a lot more money in the long run), higher chance of spinning out or going into a slide, and of course, a rediculous ammount of understeer.

I would take the JDM B16a over an H22 if you aren't making a drag application. Though whichever you choose, in the end, it's your decision.

Oh, and btw, I'm running a special on not caring, if you have any flames, I'm not trying to start a B16 vs H22 flame battle, I'm just stating facts mixed with my opinion about it (as in the rediculous understeer might not be "rediculous" for some people).

If you have to flame me and this post go to http://www.idontgive2fucks.org and post your response there.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, there's the handling effect. Unless you're going in a straight line, the motor's ******* useless. Nice motor as far as power goes (as you obviously read it made nice hp/tq. numbers), so it's good for a DRAG car. It's got a rediculous ammount of understeer though. Reason being - if you ever look at the prelude, you can see it's kinda set back, the weight's more evenly distributed between the front and the back when the engine's included. On a civic it's not, there's too much weight up front and less pressure on the springs in the back. What does that mean? Lower spring life in the front (and since you usually replace all 4, a lot more money in the long run), higher chance of spinning out or going into a slide, and of course, a rediculous ammount of understeer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

alot of misinformation here
Old 09-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thahuhstunna)

Isn't the motor like 20lbs heavier????? I can't se that making much of a differnce handling wise.

Also, you have to consider that the h22 is a cable tranny=pain in da ***. A motor swap with a hydro tranny(b16) would be plug and play.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboTagTeam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't the motor like 20lbs heavier????? I can't se that making much of a differnce handling wise.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's closer to 30 or 40lbs heavier than the b16 and over 100lbs heavier than the original sohc. either way yeah, doesn't make a huge difference in handling ability IMO, if it does I guess I just got used to it. And I'm not just saying that without any experience, I owned a B16A EG for 2 years and have driven an H22 EG several times(often after just driving my old hatch) before it was parted out...it was my friends (both were cx hatches). But for my new project I'm going boosted d16z6...much cheaper replacement parts
Old 09-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
H22 requires custom modifications to fit in perfectly, that's the reason it's cheaper, in and of itself it's a harder engine to install and A LOT of people do not want to be bothered with the cutting and **** you have to do to the block (although I've heard rumours of a new mount kit where you don't have to do that now, same w/ the axles) and custom axles and **** like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have to do anything to the block. You only have to make room by removing the right engine mount bracket, and if you have the JDM LSD tranny, notch the frame.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, there's the handling effect. Unless you're going in a straight line, the motor's ******* useless. Nice motor as far as power goes (as you obviously read it made nice hp/tq. numbers), so it's good for a DRAG car. It's got a rediculous ammount of understeer though. Reason being - if you ever look at the prelude, you can see it's kinda set back, the weight's more evenly distributed between the front and the back when the engine's included. On a civic it's not, there's too much weight up front and less pressure on the springs in the back. What does that mean? Lower spring life in the front (and since you usually replace all 4, a lot more money in the long run), higher chance of spinning out or going into a slide, and of course, a rediculous ammount of understeer.

Oh, and btw, I'm running a special on not caring, if you have any flames, I'm not trying to start a B16 vs H22 flame battle, I'm just stating facts mixed with my opinion about it (as in the rediculous understeer might not be "rediculous" for some people).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you could help me out, where exactly are the facts in that misinformed tirade?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Simply, the H22 is a less popular motor than a B16, thats why it is cheaper. Also im my honest opinion B16's are better than H22's...
Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thahuhstunna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alot of misinformation here </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2, syndacate seems to give alot of misinformation.

plus its nothing spring rates cant take car of.

as far as why the h22 is a cheaper engine to buy
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b16 = complete drop in.
h22 = a lot of time, custom parts (axles, shift linkage, mounts), and modification.</TD></TR></TABLE> no more need for anyone to post in this thread

Quick Reply: B16 VS H22 PRICE