Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 turbo SWAP in EK 96 Civic Hatch.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 B16 turbo SWAP in EK 96 Civic Hatch.

I have been doing some research on swaping a b16a into my civic. I can't find the right information, manly about motormounts and obd2 to obd1. I know about the conversion harness but what ECU should I get and I plan on boosting later down the road. I am doing this swap in march 2010 and I am trying to find out all the info I need and if I have the funds I am going to turbo at the same time of the swap. So I need a parts list for the motor I mean everything and a good turbo kit. And another thing should I get a hydro or cable transmission? Also should I keep the b16 tranny or get the GSR? I want to put bigger breaks on the front and great suspension with rear disc breaks. Any help will be great. Thanks for reading. When I do the swap I am going to do a step by step thread on it.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 turbo SWAP in EK 96 Civic Hatch.

basically you need to get a B16a2 out of a 99-00 civic SI.. then get the conversion harness to run an OBD-1 ECU.. a good ECU to use would be a p28 and then get it chipped to run to your specs.. the tranny that comes with the swap is hydro and i would leave it that way.. dont bother swapping the tranny out unless you boost.. the b16 tranny is optimal for an NA set up with short gears for good acceleration, the GSR would work better with boost bc the gears are longer and youll have better traction as far as suspension and brakes just do some research and pick out what fits your goals best.. whether you want a track car with no body roll or somethin thats a little smoother for daily driving... hope this helps and good luck
Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got a couple months try the faq's a lot of good shet there.
Try search. Or google. GL
Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lasky
basically you need to get a B16a2 out of a 99-00 civic SI.. then get the conversion harness to run an OBD-1 ECU.. a good ECU to use would be a p28 and then get it chipped to run to your specs.. the tranny that comes with the swap is hydro and i would leave it that way.. dont bother swapping the tranny out unless you boost.. the b16 tranny is optimal for an NA set up with short gears for good acceleration, the GSR would work better with boost bc the gears are longer and youll have better traction as far as suspension and brakes just do some research and pick out what fits your goals best.. whether you want a track car with no body roll or somethin thats a little smoother for daily driving... hope this helps and good luck
Ok I see what your saying. I know that I need the motor and ecu but what drive shafts do i get for my year I would like a strong set and this is going to be a daily driver. So you say the b16a2 and a p28 ok. So what else do i need?
Thanks for the help
Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need 99-00 si axles, or any integra axles (besides type r) will work. best place to get some is napa or a good store like that. autozone and schucks axles have bad reps and are out of balance sometimes.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lasky
B16 tranny is AWESOME for boost. i run it on my setup and would hate to have anything longer. staying in boost for half a seconds longer wont make a difference, your turbo would spool up faster anyways. the b16 tranny will get you down the track faster also. just my opinion, its your car.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok Thanks for the info. Do i need a different shift linkage? And what about the A/C do I need the one from the integera as well? I wil have more question just keep coming with info. Thanks to all
Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a B16 swap write up somewhere? Preferable in a EK. Thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so you want to swap, go boost, be a daily driver, and have A/C? How much power are you looking to get? are you going to build the block and head? What type of turbo manifold would you want? these are all going to limit your options.

my suggestion would be that if you want A/C and be a daily driver, get the b16a longblock out of the 99-00 si, gsr tranny, an edelbrock or greddy turbo kit that is made with daily driver's in mind, a big enough intercooler if you get the greddy kit without the intercooler, and be happy with about 300-340 whp, which is plenty.

another random thought would be if you want to run foglights. usually if you do you are going to have to cut some piping and turn the intercooler upside down.

some good info: http://www.hondahookup.com/info/engine_swap_faq.php

how to swap (no pics): http://www.howtodothings.com/automot...da-engine-swap
Old 10-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I find it interesting that someone who has not done a swap yet is contemplating installing a turbo at the same time.

I would say you have quite a bit of research to do before you should attempt a project like this. The little gremlins youll have to trouble shoot will probably bog your project down and might cause some serious issues under boost.

Everybody has to start somewhere but jumping in and doing a swap + boost yourself with very little hands on knowledge is asking for trouble.

Make some friends who are Honda mechanics and have them help you along the way with just the swap....after learning basic turbo theory and researching other setups maybe you might have them help you put a custom kit together once you know what you want to accomplish.

Or do it all by yourself and blow up a B16 or two.

Best of luck OP