Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 TRANNY PROBLEMS *** Just doesnt make sense....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 TRANNY PROBLEMS *** Just doesnt make sense....

OK, swapped in a b16a (sirII) with a b16 trans. The b16 trans had a cracked case. so replaced the case with a new one, when putting it back on the snap ring miss aligned, really no biggie i think :-S i also lost the detent blots that go to the bottom... got the engine and trans all in and now the trans IS STUCK IN A GEAR. what gear i dont know. the shift linkage moves around a little bit , the only noticeable gear you can put it in is reverse.

So we get the axels in and bolted up, try to move the car backwards so roll out of garge, and the wheels are locked, like its in gear BUT ITS NOT! i am so confused about all of this....

where the detent bolts go

Old 04-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 TRANNY PROBLEMS *** Just doesnt make sense.... (98gsrTEG)

maybe you have a bad tranny?
Old 04-02-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: B16 TRANNY PROBLEMS *** Just doesnt make sense.... (98gsrTEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98gsrTEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, swapped in a b16a (sirII) with a b16 trans. The b16 trans had a cracked case. so replaced the case with a new one, when putting it back on the snap ring miss aligned, really no biggie i think :-S i also lost the detent blots that go to the bottom... got the engine and trans all in and now the trans IS STUCK IN A GEAR. what gear i dont know. the shift linkage moves around a little bit , the only noticeable gear you can put it in is reverse.

So we get the axels in and bolted up, try to move the car backwards so roll out of garge, and the wheels are locked, like its in gear BUT ITS NOT! i am so confused about all of this....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you need to find the bolt with the spring, washer, and steel ball, cause the steel ball slide on the shift fork, in turn sliding the synchro in and out.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: B16 TRANNY PROBLEMS *** Just doesnt make sense.... (2lua)

omg....what a hack job.

Stop right there and finish the tranny before you even put it in the car!!!

The #1 rule after building a tranny(building, as in, putting all the parts back together), is to bench shift the tranny through all 6 gears....reverse would be 6. Make sure there is no binding and no excessive drag.

I have seen WAY too many people put trannies together wrong for simple reasons, only to have to remove the trans from the car becuase they failed to test it first.

First off, you NEED the detent ***** and springs with NEW crush washers. 2nd, make sure the ring was on the countershaft bearing properly. And 3rd, make sure the trans spins smooth through all the gears
Old 04-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 TRANNY PROBLEMS *** Just doesnt make sense.... (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omg....what a hack job.

Stop right there and finish the tranny before you even put it in the car!!!

The #1 rule after building a tranny(building, as in, putting all the parts back together), is to bench shift the tranny through all 6 gears....reverse would be 6. Make sure there is no binding and no excessive drag.
I have seen WAY too many people put trannies together wrong for simple reasons, only to have to remove the trans from the car becuase they failed to test it first.

First off, you NEED the detent ***** and springs with NEW crush washers. 2nd, make sure the ring was on the countershaft bearing properly. And 3rd, make sure the trans spins smooth through all the gears</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is most def the #1 rule. Looks like you'll be pulling out the tranny again
Old 04-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You screwed up...take it back down, get the parts and THEN put it back in.
With such a pain in the *** thing as putting the tranny back in, why would you even bother before having everything and testing it first?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

nice to know where my money went...still wished i had all the parts I paid for....
Old 04-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Almo5tFa5t)

another scammer!!! wtf
Old 04-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evs-One)

see thats just it, im not calling him a scammer yet b/c after a lot of fucked up **** dealing with a bad address, i actually got the turbo and turbo housing... but not the other stuff.... and I just cant get in touch with him... I am just saying it is a lack of communication right now i guess.