Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16 swap running like a bicycle.. need help... no power and feels slower than a lawn mower!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 swap running like a bicycle.. need help... no power and feels slower than a lawn mower!!

i had my b16 swapped in my civic for a while and its been running alright...
before today.. everything was fine... i get torque and power

heres the scene:

i upgrded my stock b16 headers to a dc sports 4-2-1 header..30 mins before i did the headers. i noticed some screeching noise comming from my motor near the distributor or at the distributor... it was probably there before also but it still ran fine,

when i finished my headers, there was still that screeching problem... i did feel the gain in power once my headers were installed, but for some reason now 3 hrs after the headers, my car doesnt have any power... i would have to floor it to take off...
then regain some power in higher rpm

and the problem started like 10 minutes after i rev'd it to 6-7k rpm

could it be the distributor, or my friend said it may be the cam seal...
theres this screeching sound that sounds like nails on a chalk board...

i need help asap... thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW man, open ur valve cover and check if anything is in there. u might have gotten something in there and is messing with ur cams, which are not really cheap.

Take ur valve cover apart and do a little eye inspection in there, check that there is no metal piece laying around and that the cams are not scratched nowhere.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 swap running like a bicycle.. need help... no power and feels slower than a lawn mower!! (xl

check all 3 of your distributor bolts.. they are 12mm.. try to move the distributor back and fourth. if you can do that then thats your problem... your distributor is loose.. either advance it or retard it.. IM gonna say that its loose and that your distributor is "retarded" youll have to move it towards your firewall which is advancing it and will give it more power.. but becareful.. try to keep it centered and a lil advance.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 swap running like a bicycle.. need help... no power and feels slower than a lawn mower!! (xl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check all 3 of your distributor bolts.. they are 12mm.. try to move the distributor back and fourth. if you can do that then thats your problem... your distributor is loose.. either advance it or retard it.. IM gonna say that its loose and that your distributor is "retarded" youll have to move it towards your firewall which is advancing it and will give it more power.. but becareful.. try to keep it centered and a lil advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

will do.. the sound seems like its comming from the distributor rotor, and it sounds like its grinding the cap or something... but will that affect the power...

Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It could... the distributor is the one giving your motor power in the first place, without it, no spark, without spark no power to the crank, without that, car aint moving nowhere... try and check that out, it actually makes sense.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedhks)

yea it sounds like your losing ignition. i had wires go bad on me and i dropped spark in 1 cyl. and it sounded like a lawnmower... do a full tune up just to be sure, plugs, wires, cap/rotor
Old 09-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope my wires are still good, i just replaced it no long ago like a months ago w/ obx racing wires..
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the car starts, and moves, its just that the power response is sluggish... it regains some power after 4k rpm... .. im planning on replacing my distrubutor today.. lets see what happens..

thanks guys
Old 09-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you do that try on your oem spark plug wires. My friend did this and his car ran like a champ afterwards. turns out it was the wires. if this still doesnt work then try and change the distributor CAP and rotor. you can get it from autozone. take a picture of the distributor on the motor. and show us. I want to look at the ignition timing and how the distributor is placed on your motor.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wires are fine, the problem was a messed up distributor, the bearing inside was messed up so it wasnt able to spin freely, which caused a great amount of friction on the rotor to the cap making that screeching noise..

problem fixed... thansk for the help.. and advice