Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 swap Loom and Ecu setup

Old 05-31-2019, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 B16 swap Loom and Ecu setup

Hello, Im just after swaping a b16a2 engine from a 2000 Em1 civic into an 1998 ej6 shell, I cant seem to figure out the correct loom and ecu set up, I know the ej6 chasis is obd2a and the loom from the Em1 is obd2b, so do I need to get an obd2a engine loom? What ecu do I use then without effecting the immobiliser, Im very lost any help greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 swap Loom and Ecu setup

you need to find schematics and ecu pinouts for both cars and figure it out. Not hard just takes alot of time=]
Old 05-31-2019, 07:16 PM
Trial User

Default Re: B16a2 swap into a 1997 civic

I have a b16a2 swap with a d16 harness a an obd2 ecu can i just use a conversion from obd1 to 2 onto the ecu or do i have to replace the whole harness.it bogs out some times so i think its cause the harness. Besides that it runs fine.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by conor o h View Post
Hello, Im just after swaping a b16a2 engine from a 2000 Em1 civic into an 1998 ej6 shell, I cant seem to figure out the correct loom and ecu set up, I know the ej6 chasis is obd2a and the loom from the Em1 is obd2b, so do I need to get an obd2a engine loom? What ecu do I use then without effecting the immobiliser, Im very lost any help greatly appreciated.
Use the engine harness that came with your 1998 Civic... and move/modify/lengthen/shorten/add the necessary plugs and wiring to make it all connect to the EM1 B16A2 engine and drop it in. Get the needed plugs from the EM1 engine harness. Trying to make the EM1 engine harness work in the '98 Civic is a giant mess, so unless you are really good with wiring, I advise against this.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
Use the engine harness that came with your 1998 Civic... and move/modify/lengthen/shorten/add the necessary plugs and wiring to make it all connect to the EM1 B16A2 engine and drop it in. Get the needed plugs from the EM1 engine harness. Trying to make the EM1 engine harness work in the '98 Civic is a giant mess, so unless you are really good with wiring, I advise against this.
That's good to know. I was going to take the entire engine harness and hondata from my em1 and engine and drop it into my 98. I guess I'll get both engines side by side and modify the d series harness.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

p2t ecu and obd2a to obd2b conversion harness and a couple other things.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply, what ECU must I use then? Would I have to get an Obd2a ecu from a b16 and would this plug into the ej6 harness?
Old 06-02-2019, 05:36 AM
Seagull Management

I'm guessing by the terminology that you're somewhere in western Europe. If you had an MPFI D-series you can modify the original engine harness and use that. If it was an SFI D-series you wont be able to. If you have the complete EM1 donor car you can swap the engine harness, cabin harness and door harnesses into the EJ6, you just can't use the engine harness by itself with the EJ6 cabin harness. Some of the immobilizers are easily bypassed, some aren't. The European stuff is often different than North American. If yours uses the red learning key I don't believe they are easily bypassed.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8 View Post
I'm guessing by the terminology that you're somewhere in western Europe. If you had an MPFI D-series you can modify the original engine harness and use that. If it was an SFI D-series you wont be able to. If you have the complete EM1 donor car you can swap the engine harness, cabin harness and door harnesses into the EJ6, you just can't use the engine harness by itself with the EJ6 cabin harness. Some of the immobilizers are easily bypassed, some aren't. The European stuff is often different than North American. If yours uses the red learning key I don't believe they are easily bypassed.
Thank you, yes my engine is mpfi d series, I'm not too sure what I need to modify on the d16 harness?, and would I also need an ecu from a OBDA b16 instead of the one from my Em1?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: