Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 or SOHC turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 or SOHC turbo?

Hey guys i am in the market to get a b16 motor or a single cam turbo kit for my d16z6 motor. I know for a fact that i can get a street legal turbo kit for my civic and not have to worry about passing smog etc.... and i was wondering if you guys can help me point out the pros and cons of a sohc turbo kit vs getting the b16 motor. Thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B16 or SOHC turbo? (hondacivicsi04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacivicsi04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys i am in the market to get a b16 motor or a single cam turbo kit for my d16z6 motor. I know for a fact that i can get a street legal turbo kit for my civic and not have to worry about passing smog etc.... and i was wondering if you guys can help me point out the pros and cons of a sohc turbo kit vs getting the b16 motor. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would just turbo your current engine or get a b18c1 at least

b16's aren't worth it imo
Old 07-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 or SOHC turbo? (G2 Speed)

i have a b18c1 and love it to death....but the turbos are good they do cause alot of ware but with the propper up grader ie valvetrain and a better cam you should do just fine....but you will like the swap even more. its crazy fast.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:34 PM
tn

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just turbo your current engine or get a b18c1 at least

b16's aren't worth it imo</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I would get a b18 at least. Your d16 can put out more power than the b16 with just some oem mods. There was an article about this in the May 2006 Honda Tuning magazine. I would go with the turbo d
Old 07-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 or SOHC turbo? (curt_9693)

long live the sohc.. the b16 is TORQUE-less.. (no offense to hondas.. but they all are..) the sohc is cheaper to build.. and with f.i. it would spank that b16.. im personally building a sohc turbo.. &lt;33 hopefully this helps some
p.s. b16 cost how much? and turbo kit for your d cost what?

Cody
Old 07-14-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Re: B16 or SOHC turbo? (CodyC142)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by curt_9693 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b18c1 and love it to death....but the turbos are good they do cause alot of ware but with the propper up grader ie valvetrain and a better cam you should do just fine....but you will like the swap even more. its crazy fast. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok well i have 98k miles on my d16z6 motor. Do you think if i add a turbo kit onto it it would last a good while without any major modifications because all i really want is to get around 200hp to the wheels.

PS: sorry if i sound like a noob on here i am just trying to get the right info because alot of people keep telling me differnet things.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacivicsi04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok well i have 98k miles on my d16z6 motor. Do you think if i add a turbo kit onto it it would last a good while without any major modifications because all i really want is to get around 200hp to the wheels.

PS: sorry if i sound like a noob on here i am just trying to get the right info because alot of people keep telling me differnet things.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go for it
I wouldn't push for 200 at the wheels, your stock motor with a turbo kit.. can acheive 200whp, but you would really have to boost it, to the point where you engine wouldn't last a week or two... you could for sure get 160whp..

I'm just saying this so you if you don't acheive high numbers your thinking of you won't be upset.., if I was in your shoes.. this is what I would do... do a homemade turbo, spend least amount of money.. for time being... do a decent tune on it... maybe $600.00 for everything give or take... with tune hopefully, then drive it till it dies.... then swap in a b

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/jyr/
Old 07-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Go for it
I wouldn't push for 200 at the wheels, your stock motor with a turbo kit.. can acheive 200whp, but you would really have to boost it, to the point where you engine wouldn't last a week or two... you could for sure get 160whp..

I'm just saying this so you if you don't acheive high numbers your thinking of you won't be upset.., if I was in your shoes.. this is what I would do... do a homemade turbo, spend least amount of money.. for time being... do a decent tune on it... maybe $600.00 for everything give or take... with tune hopefully, then drive it till it dies.... then swap in a b

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/jyr/</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't listen to crap like this

You get forged rods and pistons along with aftermarket and bearings and you can make 200whp on ur D16Z6 with a good tune and have NO danger of anything blowing...without running 25lbs of boost...

__

I went through all this already, I am in the EXACT same situation, I have a civic D16Z6 with 97k (dead serious about the mileage too) just changed timing belt/wp head gasket isn't that big a deal if it blows and I'm not sure whether to do what I just recommended to you or put together a turbo system and run it.. My cons about the turbo setup is that I don't know anybody who can help me with the turbo tune (never delt with tuning turbo'ed setup and don't know anybody who can), I was thinking either that or the H22 swap (or H2B swap sounds nice as well) - the custom fabrication is a piece of cake, but I still have to decide what I wanna do..so blah, I'm in the same predicament..

I'm a firm believer in a good solid foundation, I don't believe in running a turbo as a daily driver with boost w/o building up the foundation...too much chance of throwing a rod - for cheap and very little labor you can put aftermarket pistons/rods/bearings and eliminate the chance of throwing a rod on daily boost completely and then you can even jack up the boost if you want... You don't need to do anything wiht the valves/valve train unless you want to rev it higher, but you can get dish (high compression) valves if you want which will up the ante on your turbo build...
Old 07-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: B16 or SOHC turbo? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't listen to crap like this

You get forged rods and pistons along with aftermarket and bearings and you can make 200whp on ur D16Z6 with a good tune and have NO danger of anything blowing...without running 25lbs of boost...

__

I went through all this already, I am in the EXACT same situation, I have a civic D16Z6 with 97k (dead serious about the mileage too) just changed timing belt/wp head gasket isn't that big a deal if it blows and I'm not sure whether to do what I just recommended to you or put together a turbo system and run it.. My cons about the turbo setup is that I don't know anybody who can help me with the turbo tune (never delt with tuning turbo'ed setup and don't know anybody who can), I was thinking either that or the H22 swap (or H2B swap sounds nice as well) - the custom fabrication is a piece of cake, but I still have to decide what I wanna do..so blah, I'm in the same predicament..

I'm a firm believer in a good solid foundation, I don't believe in running a turbo as a daily driver with boost w/o building up the foundation...too much chance of throwing a rod - for cheap and very little labor you can put aftermarket pistons/rods/bearings and eliminate the chance of throwing a rod on daily boost completely and then you can even jack up the boost if you want... You don't need to do anything wiht the valves/valve train unless you want to rev it higher, but you can get dish (high compression) valves if you want which will up the ante on your turbo build...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok thanks for the info. Anyways what do you guys think about the edelbrock turbo kit and do you guys know anyone who can sell me a b16 or a b18c1 motor with installation for a good price?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 or SOHC turbo? (Syndacate)

says the man

Stock 5sp '95 EX 97k CAI, Fireball catback, tuned ECU

I possibly have the slowest civic in the world...it really is depressing...think even my probe was faster O.o

Cool

just blow the d-series up, and get a b.. only reason why people stick with D is cause they can't afford any better
Old 07-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Hasn't this question been answered enough times?