Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16 head w/bent valves, sell as is or fix & sell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 head w/bent valves, sell as is or fix & sell?

First of all, around how much is a b16 head worth in good condition? I think it's off the original B16 and unknown miles.

And 2nd, I have a B16 head w/bent valves. I don't know how many valves are bent but lets just assume that they all need to be replaced. How much could I sell it for as is w/bent valves, and is it worth it to pay $100-$150 for all new valves, replace them (myself so it'd be free), along w/valve seals, and sell like that?

TIA for any help, and I think this is my first post in the Civic forum, since I figured this would be the best place to ask.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 head w/bent valves, sell as is or fix & sell? (Hatch_R)

LMK how much you want as is.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b16 head w/bent valves, sell as is or fix & sell? (cambopheonix56)

i'd sell as is you could proly get 150- maybe 200 for it
Old 12-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went and looked at the head and in 1 cylinder the intake valve is definitely bent (it doesn't close and is really crooked), and at least 1 exhaust valve on the same cylinder if not both. Not sure about the other cylinders but didn't see anything.

The thing is, I also have the b16 block to go w/it. It's leaking oil too so it's not in perfect condition, but I was thinking it'd be worth it to fix the head and sell the engine together to get the most money out of it. What do you guys think?

I also have a GSR tranny w/bad 3rd and 4th gears, that I will probably sell w/the engine. (Yea I bought a whole bunch of bad parts )
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 12-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its worth keeping if you want to do anything with your head - like build it.
If you keep it, its the perfect time to upgrade valves, retainers & valve springs AND do a refresher like new seals, etc.

If you just want another stock head, sell yours for $250ish, the buy a perfectly good one for $500ish.

btw.. seeing that your first reply to this thread was someone else automatically want to buy it is a good indicator that it will still sell fast for that price, AND/OR its worth keeping & upgrading.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Re: (EgSalad)

jesus man , your hard on the gear , lol. is there anything you have that aint broke? haha , just kiddin man.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cranny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EgSalad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its worth keeping if you want to do anything with your head - like build it.
If you keep it, its the perfect time to upgrade valves, retainers & valve springs AND do a refresher like new seals, etc.

If you just want another stock head, sell yours for $250ish, the buy a perfectly good one for $500ish.

btw.. seeing that your first reply to this thread was someone else automatically want to buy it is a good indicator that it will still sell fast for that price, AND/OR its worth keeping & upgrading.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm well I'm not going to be using or upgrading the head so I guess I'll just sell as is.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cranny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jesus man , your hard on the gear , lol. is there anything you have that aint broke? haha , just kiddin man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually bought this stuff from a local ricer. He overrevved, bent the valves, and I guess messed the tranny up at the same time. I bought the tranny off of him thinking it was a good tranny with no grinds like he said, for a really cheap price (which I thought he was selling for really cheap because he already has a new swap to put in, and wanted fast money without hassle). He gave me the engine w/bent valves for a little extra on top of the price of the tranny, also really cheap, so I figured I'd take it and probably just sell it for more. It really sucks that the GSR tranny is bad because I could really feel the difference compared to my stock LS one even without shifting hard or revving past 4k, but oh well, I could still probably make a few hundred by selling the engine and tranny as is.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (Hatch_R)

you could fix the tranny no problem if you wanted to. get a couple new syncro sleeves and 75 bucks worth of mainshaft bearings , your good to go again. fix that tranny dude. theres nothing to it , sort of , lol.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cranny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cranny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could fix the tranny no problem if you wanted to. get a couple new syncro sleeves and 75 bucks worth of mainshaft bearings , your good to go again. fix that tranny dude. theres nothing to it , sort of , lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would want to because a GSR tranny would be really nice and I'd have fun learning in the process, but a) I'm not too sure what's exactly wrong with the tranny b) Aren't synchros pretty expensive? And with bearings at about $40 or $50 a piece, it can get expensive.

I made a thread asking what could be wrong with the tranny, but I didn't really get my question answered: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1818119

I don't know if it's just as simple as a bad synchro or two. You can read the thread I made, but basically 3rd grind at all RPMs, the shifter sits crooked leaning toward the driver, and the it doesn't go into 4th unless you tilt the shifter a little to the right.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still undecided... I could probably fix the head for $100 or less and get a good learning experience in the process. Any more pros or cons for selling as is? The thing I'm worried about is that if I try to fix it, the valve seats might be messed up, and I'm not sure where I could find just 1 or 2 valves and valve guides besides ripoff brand new OEM stuff.