Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to replace exhaust manifold gasket? Minor exhaust leak after removing 'pipe A'

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace exhaust manifold gasket? Minor exhaust leak after removing 'pipe A'

1999 Civic SE (Canada) D16Y7 (bone stock)
I'm a beginner so apologies if this question is very basic...

In order to remove the oil pan to replace a leaking oil pan gasket I had to remove part #8 ('pipe A' in the parts manual) in this photo:

I purchased replacement gaskets #20 and #11 to fit when reinstalling the pipe. #20 went on fine, but I couldn't figure out how to replace #11 which is the gasket that goes in between 'pipe A' and the exhaust manifold. Here's what the replacement gasket looks like:

Since I couldn't figure out how to remove the old gasket, I reinstalled the pipe without replacing gasket #11. After starting the car, I noticed a slight leak in this location, so obviously this gasket needs to be replaced. Is there a trick to removing the existing gasket? It looked like it was permanently attached in there. I tried prying it out with a pick set as well as using a heat gun with no luck.

Something else that I wasn't sure about: the existing (installed) gasket was totally flat and flush against the pipe - I'm guessing that this replacement (round) gasket gets squashed when installing - is that right? In other words, I do have the correct gasket, don't I? It's part number is 18212-SF4-000 (packaged as Bosal BSL1640526).

Thanks in advance for any help and advice for this noob
Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How to replace exhaust manifold gasket? Minor exhaust leak after removing 'pipe A

I assume you will have to take it off again, can you take a pic? I assume it is pressed in there, maybe a little wd 40 or pb blaster in the old one, maybe use some needle nose pliers and grab it or, use a screw driver and wedge it in the edge between the pipe and gasket bend it in then use pliers to grab it.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How to replace exhaust manifold gasket? Minor exhaust leak after removing 'pipe A

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll definitely have to take the pipe off again to try to replace the gasket. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo when I had it off the first time. I was hoping that it would go back on fine and that the job would be done.

I did try some penetrant spray (like PB plaster), heat, a pick set, and even a screw driver to try to pry it out. No go! All this effort led me to wonder if, a) I was making a mistake and that the part I was attempting to remove was actually integral to the pipe, or b) if there was some certain method or trick to removing the old gasket.

The reason why it seems to be so difficult to remove is because the gasket sits flush against the pipe with no room to wedge anything in in order to remove it.

I'm hoping someone experienced with this part will come along and know from experience what I'm talking about and offer some specific advice...if the solution is just that I need to really ram something in there - or even use a power tool like a dremel - then I guess that's what I'm wondering. I just don't want to damage the groove on the pipe that the gasket sits in.

Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Trial User

bump!

Can anyone offer some advice on this?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I remember I had had a hard time with this as well. I was able to get the gasket out after stabbing directly into the gasket (with something sharp and durable) really mutilating it and that gave me a shard of the gasket to grab with pliers.

The existing gasket may appear flat but it sits in a groove in the pipe that is only slightly more shallow then the depth of your new gasket, it only compresses it a little as this is a more solid connection then the other more flexible exhaust joints.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You have the right part. You just need to be a bit more aggressive with the pick and screwdriver.

Also, wire brush clean the three exhaust bolts and lightly oil prior to installing the nuts. Then torque the nuts to spec with a torque wrench.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use a scratch awl or old flat blade screwdriver hammer it into the gasket and pry it out dont be a afraid you are not going to hurt the exhaust
Old 04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Trial User

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I was indeed afraid to really try prying it out because I thought I would damage the pipe. I'll be more aggressive.

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Also, wire brush clean the three exhaust bolts and lightly oil prior to installing the nuts. Then torque the nuts to spec with a torque wrench.
I'm a beginner and haven't heard of oiling bolts before. Can you explain the reason for this? The answer will also tell me in what other circumstances this should be done. Also, what kind of oil to use - just regular motor oil? I do have a set of torque wrenches and am making sure I torque everything to specification.

Thanks again everybody.