Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16 ek hatch wont hold a charge

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 ek hatch wont hold a charge

hi all, well i have a bum situation, my hatch wont hold a charge...one day driving it just died, so now i have but a new batterey in and a new alternator and nothing....still the same s***....i pulled wiring harness and noticed it is hacked the hell up....ontop of it all i really think its an auto harness cause there is some extra clips by the trans....ive tried searching but in the end they all either have a happy ending of just a lose ground. but i have checked all grounds and all fuses and nothing....any help or info would be amazing, or if someone in colorado springs area could come threw and help that would be awesome thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: b16 ek hatch wont hold a charge

First, lets get your symptom properly labeled:

"Won't hold a charge" would indicate that when the car is off, and you have a voltage meter connected to the battery, the voltage is slowly dropping to ZERO over time... like overnight. This means that something is drawing current all of the time, and you must start disconnecting things and/or pulling fuses to various circuits to find the offending device/circuit.

"Doesn't charge, or slowly discharges while driving" would indicate that there is a problem with the alternator or charging wire. Since you have indicated that you have a new alternator, it is unlikely that it is the problem, however, we cannot totally discount it yet. First, disconnect the alternator charging wire from the under-hood fuse box AND from the charging post on top of the alternator. Check for continuity between both ends of the charging wire. If the resistance is less than .005, it should be fine. Next, crank the car and check the voltage output of the charging post on the alternator. It should be 13.8v+ or more. If it does, re-connect the charging wire (turn the car off first) and then retest (yes, crank the car back up) the voltage output at the 8mm connecting screw in the under-hood fuse box.

So, while the car is running, if the voltage is below 13.8v+ when you check the alternator directly, get another one. If the voltage at the fuse box is below 13.8v+, replace the charging wire between the alternator and fuse box.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b16 ek hatch wont hold a charge

well i checked all my grounds and fuses and found nothing then checked fuses alternator and batterey and all checked out...so i pulled my harness and found some split wires from a hacked up swap...so i dont think i wanna run that booty harness any more, so next question would be what are my harness options...its a 98 cx hatch with a b16 from a 99-00 si