Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 Block with GSR head blowing blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post B16 Block with GSR head blowing blue smoke

I have a B16 block with a GSR head. It's all assembled together. I dont know why it's having blow smoke. As a cold start it's fine. But when I drive off it some times blow out blue smoke. It comes and goes. When it does come it blows really bad I can't even see the car behind me. Some one told me that it's like and LS VTEC. I would have to drill a hole on the head because the oil hole doesn't line up with the block and heads. But I'm not sure. So I'm searching for help. Please help!!!!? I'm at the point I just want to quit on it. And the idle is not to great either it idles rough. The engine runs strong but it it doesn't idle well and it blow blue smoke and vtec doesn't work anymore.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Block with GSR head blowing blue smoke

blue smoke is burning oil. head and/or some fittings might not be sealed properly/well enough.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 PM

hey whats man I know I must be burning oil but from where? I talked to one of my friend and he said that the engine that is put together needs some mods because the oil hole doesn't line up like the LS VTEC. could that be the issue?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil holes should line up they are both vtec block and head
my ls.vtec has to be done like that b.c the block isnt made for a vtec head.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM

well he was talking about drilling an oil hole like the the frankenstin motor. But if that ain't it then what is the problem why I'm gettin this blue smoke like I do. Because it do comes and go but when its gone there is no smoke but when it does come there is clouds of smoke. it's so bad you would even want to be behind me. I can even see anyone behind me
Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM

can anyone else help? I really need this car to run well need car for school
Old 01-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Low on vtec fluid.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be the headgasket
Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 PM

Low on VTEC fluid? How do I fill it up?
And yea I think it's the head gasket too but before I do anything to the heads I'm trying to see if there is any other solutions but thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

VTEC fluid is a pain to refill. It's not like brake or clutch fluid you can add to a resevoir. VTEC isn't meant to use fluid since it's a closed system. What you have to do is remove your valve cover and there should be a plug that screws into the head between the #2 and #3 cylinders. But, some engines are weird and they mouned a little resevoir underneath the intake manifold on the back of the block.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

head gasket!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 AM

www.honda-jackass-responses.com

Since its an on-off situation. . . maybe you could try installing a oil pressure gauge? Maybe theres some sort of spike on oil pressure occasionally? Because if it where constant, it would be much easier to diagnose I presume. Do a compression test and a leakdown test. Shouldn't be difficult and you can probably rent the tools or find a nearby shop to do them. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrazyWest206
I have a B16 block with a GSR head. It's all assembled together. I dont know why it's having blow smoke. As a cold start it's fine. But when I drive off it some times blow out blue smoke. It comes and goes. When it does come it blows really bad I can't even see the car behind me. Some one told me that it's like and LS VTEC. I would have to drill a hole on the head because the oil hole doesn't line up with the block and heads. But I'm not sure. So I'm searching for help. Please help!!!!? I'm at the point I just want to quit on it. And the idle is not to great either it idles rough. The engine runs strong but it it doesn't idle well and it blow blue smoke and vtec doesn't work anymore.
how much oil are you burning? like how often do you need to refill? if your low on oil vtec wont engage. do you have any check engine lights? the oil passage is fine.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
VTEC fluid is a pain to refill. It's not like brake or clutch fluid you can add to a resevoir. VTEC isn't meant to use fluid since it's a closed system. What you have to do is remove your valve cover and there should be a plug that screws into the head between the #2 and #3 cylinders. But, some engines are weird and they mouned a little resevoir underneath the intake manifold on the back of the block.
Yea, I remember trying to do this and it really sucks. It's like that time that I was messing with my wiring and accidentally released the factory smoke from the wires. That was a real pain in the *** to catch and shove back in there.

OP - rings or valve stem seals are most likely fried. Blue smoke = burning oil.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 AM

I will open up the valve cover and check it out. But is this why my vtec is'nt working? or is this why my I'm getting the blue smoke? And can it be from the valves being over tighten?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 92'si
how much oil are you burning? like how often do you need to refill? if your low on oil vtec wont engage. do you have any check engine lights? the oil passage is fine.
I drove the car for about an hour the other day for about 1 hour. I let the car sit over night and in the morning I checked the oil and it was half gone. so I refilled it to the right level and drove it again the next day for about two hours and let it sit over night again then this morning checked the oil again and now the oil is almost all the way out to the bottom of the stick The car still smoke the same way like I explained earlier. It comes and goes but when it smoke it smokessss.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 AM

What kind of fluid do you put in the vtec? Is it just motor oil or brake fluid? or?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like your rings are toast. I have never hear of valve stem seals leaking that bad. You need to do a compression/leakdown test. Was the B16 that the block is from burning oil before you got it?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 AM

I had this same problem and came to find out my piston rings were shot. If your oil is going that quick more thatn likely your rings are gone. If you went spining your engine over 9000 rpms for a constant time with stock rings and beefed up valve train your rings are definatly shot. Don't take my word for it do a leakdown test better safe than sorry.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Low on VTEC fluid? How do I fill it up?
And yea I think it's the head gasket too but before I do anything to the heads I'm trying to see if there is any other solutions but thanks
no vtec fluid

lol..he needs help..help em outttt !!! dont f wit his head..he needs his car for school

Originally Posted by leoaa777
Low on vtec fluid.
What kind of fluid do you put in the vtec? Is it just motor oil or brake fluid? or?
nooo vtec fluidd.....wow...

i would say do a compression leak down test...so u can narrow down ur problem...bump so a real honda-tech can u help u..
Old 01-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v8 integra
no vtec fluid

lol..he needs help..help em outttt !!! dont f wit his head..he needs his car for school

nooo vtec fluidd.....wow...

i would say do a compression leak down test...so u can narrow down ur problem...bump so a real honda-tech can u help u..
There is too VTEC fluid, what are you talking about! It's called engine oil!

Seriously, it's either going to be the rings or valve stem seals being the culprit. You can have a shop perform a leak-down test and tell you where you're losing compression.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
There is too VTEC fluid, what are you talking about! It's called engine oil!
lol u got me...and u can check ur vtec fluid by the oil dipstick...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, +1 for me! :D
Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Welll thank you all for the help. But I just checked my spark plugs to see if there were oil in my pistons and plugs. But it looks alil wet but not bad smells like gas. open up the valve cover hoping to sell anything about the fluid for my vtec, but did't see **** obviously I must of gotten fooled. But I did check my TDC it was good ,but my pistions were hella black shiny lookin though what does that mean? And since I am on a huge budget how would I be able to know how to do the leakdown test myself? Can anyone help? I am mechanically incline but I am still learning thank you
Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Black4thgenEF
It sounds like your rings are toast. I have never hear of valve stem seals leaking that bad. You need to do a compression/leakdown test. Was the B16 that the block is from burning oil before you got it?
I got the motor like this already but my brother said it was already smokin when he got it but it sound good and bought it. But when it was smokin he did a tune up and it went away but we swap motors to put it in my car so now it some like crazy. Now I stuck with this crappy **** and don't know what to do. Lookin in my spark plug holes it looks like some high compression piston.

Quick Reply: B16 Block with GSR head blowing blue smoke