Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16 in 93 eg swap help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 in 93 eg swap help needed

I have searched on here for a while and have not found all the questions I need so here goes...

Engine: b16a 5-speed
Car: 93 hatch CX 5-speed

What motor mounts can I use? I'd like to stick to using stock honda mounts to keep the price down. I'm not looking for anything fancy here.

Will I have to buy anything to use the transmission? If so then what?

Same question for shift linkages?

Will the ECU that came with the engine work fine?

Now, what will I have to do to the wiring harness? I know I will have to take care of the O2 sensor but other then that, I dont know of what to do or how to do it?

And anything else anyone might have to add, advice, steps, etc...everything is appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance,
Cody
Old 02-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Re: b16 in 93 eg swap help needed (WhiteTsiAwd)

Mounts:
Old 02-18-2006, 09:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteTsiAwd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have searched on here for a while and have not found all the questions I need so here goes...

Engine: b16a 5-speed
Car: 93 hatch CX 5-speed

What motor mounts can I use? I'd like to stick to using stock honda mounts to keep the price down. I'm not looking for anything fancy here.

Will I have to buy anything to use the transmission? If so then what?

Same question for shift linkages?

Will the ECU that came with the engine work fine?

Now, what will I have to do to the wiring harness? I know I will have to take care of the O2 sensor but other then that, I dont know of what to do or how to do it?

And anything else anyone might have to add, advice, steps, etc...everything is appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance,
Cody</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you choose to use that transmission you'll need a cable-hydro conversion kit. The only two manufacturers I know of that make it are Hasport and JDMshit. Info on the Hasport kit can be found here:
http://www.hasport.com/Product...C.htm
You can see what is all included by clicking on "Installation Instructions". It basically makes use of your stock hydraulic system, and mounts the slave cylinder to the transmission. You can piece your own kit together with a little creativity, but the engine mount included in the kit is a different length than any oem mount. You can use the top tranny mount from a 94+ integra, but the tranny will sit lower than it should and isn't recommended. I am using the Hasport kit right now and don't have any complaints whatsoever, just remember to bench bleed the slave before installing it!

You'll need a shift linkage from a 94-01 integra. You can also use one from a 90-93 integra, but the shifter will sit about an inch closer to the dash. Note that the 99-00 Si is a different chassis and the linkange won't work for this application. Also the one from the 94-97 delsol vtec won't work because it has a couple extra bends.

The ecu that came with the engine will be obd0, which you can use if you either:
1) Convert to obd0 (not recommended as obd1 is much better for tuning)
2) Buy a conversion harness.
OR you can sell it and buy an ecu from a 94-95 delsol vtec, or have your civic's ecu chipped to perform the functions and base map of the proper ecu.

You'll need an obd1 b-series engine harness, or you can use the one from your civic (the wires to a few of the plugs will have to be extended). Use the oxygen sensor. I think the CX injectors are 190cc and not 240cc like the other obd1 civics/integras, in which case you'll need some from a 92-95 civic/integra/delsol. You'll also need a distributor from a 92-95 gsr or a 94-95 delsol vtec.

I'm assuming you have the axles with your engine/tranny? ...good.

I'm almost certain the B pipe (from the header to the cat) won't line up properly on your car, but I'm unsure of how exactly. A muffler shop can cut/weld for $15.

That's all I can think of right now. I don't claim to be any sort of guru on this stuff, but I did a ****-ton of searching/learning in preparation for my swap and picked up a lot of info along the way. If you have any more questions I'd be glad to help!

Modified by transpar_nt at 3:24 PM 2/19/2006
Old 02-19-2006, 10:32 AM

Alright, well I do plan on using the transmission that came witht the engine because it has LSD and I figured I would have to have the conversion kit, so no big deal there. However when buying it, the mount that comes with it is for the tranny obviously, so thats one less mount I will have to aquire from other places, correct?

So shift linkage from a 94-01 integra. I'm just curious, but why from an integra? Why not from, say a del sol or something of the same size? And with the 94+ integra, the shifter will sit fine?

As far as ecu's go, what would you prefer? From what kinda car and the code if possible?

Now, for wiring harness's, if I used the stock harness from the car, then would all the sensors hook up fine, and I would just have to extend a few wires? I wouldnt have to splice anything into anything would i? And if so then what?

Also, I know that the engine comes with some of the harness from the car it was in. The engine came out of a friends 91 CRX by the way.

No, the axles didnt come with the engine/tranny, so what kind of axles should I get?

As for the injectors, couldnt I just use the injectors that came with the engine?

Also, anything else you can think of that would help would be awesome, and thanks for taking the time to write what you already have. Thanks to anyone else who posts up as well.

Cody
Old 02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (WhiteTsiAwd)

is the tranny cable clutched or hydro-clutched? if it came out an EF....you may be in a world of hurt, the B16 might be OBD-0
Old 02-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the tranny cable clutched or hydro-clutched? if it came out an EF....you may be in a world of hurt, the B16 might be OBD-0</TD></TR></TABLE>
The tranny is cable and the b16a is obd0. I explained this already and posted the answers to those issues.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Re: (transpar_nt)

I used a chipped P28 with my swap and everything is fine. My motor is from an Integra XSI so the axles fit already. You'll need DA integra axles and if I were you, I'd order the Hasport motor mounts. Mine came with the cable to hydro conversion. Everything was perfect...lifetime warranty on the mounts too. Can't beat that

I used my harness off my D16Z6. I think you can use the CX harness...just have to wire up vtec
Old 02-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTsiAwd
Alright, well I do plan on using the transmission that came witht the engine because it has LSD and I figured I would have to have the conversion kit, so no big deal there. However when buying it, the mount that comes with it is for the tranny obviously, so thats one less mount I will have to aquire from other places, correct?
Correct.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So shift linkage from a 94-01 integra. I'm just curious, but why from an integra? Why not from, say a del sol or something of the same size? And with the 94+ integra, the shifter will sit fine?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The 94-01 integra has the exact same chassis as the 92-95 civic. You need a linkage from something with the same chassis and a B series motor. You could also get one from a jdm EG SiR. The linkage from the delsol is shaped differently to clear a crossmember that doesn't exist on the civic. Yes, with the 94+ linkage the shifter will be in the exact same spot as before.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as ecu's go, what would you prefer? From what kinda car and the code if possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>
For the ecu the best thing would be from a 94-95 delsol vtec, and its a P30. There are a couple others that are made for larger engines that will work, but I'm not sure if the fuel maps will affect anything on your smaller engine. They are the P61 from the 92-93 gsr (1.7L), and the P72 from the 94-95 gsr (note that there are also p72's for 96-01 cars, but you need one from a 94-95).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, for wiring harness's, if I used the stock harness from the car, then would all the sensors hook up fine, and I would just have to extend a few wires? I wouldnt have to splice anything into anything would i? And if so then what?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Assuming you extended a few wires, yes, your civic's harness will hook up fine and that is all that's needed to be done to it. This is also assuming you're using a 92-95 distributor and injectors (which you'll need to be compatible with the ecu).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, I know that the engine comes with some of the harness from the car it was in. The engine came out of a friends 91 CRX by the way.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You won't be able to use that harness because its obd0. Basically most of the plugs are different. Using an obd1 (92-95) harness is WAY easier and better than changing everything to obd0. Trust me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, the axles didnt come with the engine/tranny, so what kind of axles should I get?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The following is quoted from "Chad" so you can be sure its correct:
Passenger side axel:
99-00 civic SI
94-97 Del slow Vtec
90-01 INTEGRA RS/GS/LS/GSR/ITR(us only)

Drivers side axel:
if you have 90-93 haft haft
90-93 integra any model

if you have 99-00 si haftshaft/ 94-01 gsr/itr/ls/gs/
94-97 del slow vtec halfshaft
you need
94-01 INTEGRA, 94-97 del slow vtec 99-00 civic si

ABS DOES NOT MATTER...

you can run abs axels in a non abs car!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the injectors, couldnt I just use the injectors that came with the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No. The reason being is that they are peak and hold (unsaturated) and you need saturated (92+). This can be overcome by using a resistor box, but there's also the fact that the injectors that came with the engine have a different electrical plug than what you need.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, anything else you can think of that would help would be awesome, and thanks for taking the time to write what you already have. Thanks to anyone else who posts up as well.

Cody</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-19-2006, 12:23 PM

Default Re: (EG6 PSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6 PSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll need DA integra axles</TD></TR></TABLE>
You don't need them specifically. To the OP, make sure that if you do use DA axles that you also use the corresponding halfshaft. Its different than the others.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6 PSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used my harness off my D16Z6. I think you can use the CX harness...just have to wire up vtec</TD></TR></TABLE>
Good point, I forgot about that. You'll need to run an extra wire to the vtec solenoid. If you want an easy, modify-free solution to your wire harness issue you can always get one from a 94-95 delsol vtec or a 92-95 gsr.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell the cable tranny and get a itr tranny. i believe u can use the driver side mount from the cx onto the b16a. use the cx harness and wire the vtec straight to the ecu. u will need a 94-01 integra shift linkage, L bracket , and both stabilizer mounts. u will also need a obd-1 distributor
Old 02-19-2006, 12:41 PM

Once again, thanks for all the information. Got a couple more questions.

If I decided to use DSM injectors, I know I need the resistor box. I will probably end up going this route since I come from a dsm back ground, and I like wit 2 other dsmers, so the parts are not a problem, question being, what all would putting dsm injectors in the car entail?

Also, I have access to a b18b1 also, would this be an easier swap? Details to back up would be nice...

Thanks,
Cody
Old 02-20-2006, 12:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteTsiAwd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once again, thanks for all the information. Got a couple more questions.

If I decided to use DSM injectors, I know I need the resistor box. I will probably end up going this route since I come from a dsm back ground, and I like wit 2 other dsmers, so the parts are not a problem, question being, what all would putting dsm injectors in the car entail?

Also, I have access to a b18b1 also, would this be an easier swap? Details to back up would be nice...

Thanks,
Cody</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you go with the B1 you'll be able to use the shift linkage that comes with it, the transmission won't require a conversion kit to use, and the mounts will all be correct. If the motor is a '94 or '95 you won't need to change the distributor or injectors either, and the harness will be 100% plug and play. To give you a simple answer, the b18 will involve a lot less work and less money invested in other parts to make it compatible with your car.

The LS won't be quite as fast as the b16, but I find it more enjoyable as a daily driver. The biggest thing holding the b1 back is its transmission but that isn't hard to solve.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Well if I ended up buying the b18 then I was going to buy a friends b16 tranny since it has better gearing. And ya the engine is a '94 so i can use the injectors and distributor i guess.

And what about the mounts? Will the stock integra mounts work for the eb? If not then what mounts will I need?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteTsiAwd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if I ended up buying the b18 then I was going to buy a friends b16 tranny since it has better gearing. And ya the engine is a '94 so i can use the injectors and distributor i guess.

And what about the mounts? Will the stock integra mounts work for the eb? If not then what mounts will I need?

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (transpar_nt)

you cant use the drivers side mount from the integra because it has three holes when b16 only takes two so either get it from the jdm 2nd gen b16 or the Del Sol b16. i know i have a b16 in my 93 coupe.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:06 PM

I was meaning would the stock integra mounts work for the b18b, not for the b16, i think i've pretty much ruled out the b16 for now...

And transpar_nt, thanks a lot for all the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Cody
Old 03-29-2024, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 in 93 eg swap help needed

Hey guys just came across this thread hopefully someone can help me out. I just replaced the whole suspension on a buddies 93 civic cx that got a b16 swap. I'm having an issue with the axles. I ordered DA integra axles. They seem to fit but seem a bit short? When I tightened the axle nuts it seems to have pressed the hub in more and froze it up. Looked behind and it looks like the axles don't seat all the way into the hub. Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2024, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Take the wheel bearing dust shield out of the back of the knuckle and then re-insert the outer spline of the axle into the hub. DA axles are slightly too short for the EG chassis... DC's are the proper fit.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-31-2024, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dust shield is removed. I did notice the axle seemed slightly extended (too small). Will have to try DC axles I suppose.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looked up the DC axles and it seems they are the same part number as a DA integra on rockauto. Are they the same or should they be different lengths?
Old 03-31-2024, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-31-2024, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The axles are different... if RockAuto has them both listed as the same part number... they are wrong.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:31 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

you only need to remove the dust ring in 88-91 chassis

90-01 integra passenger axles are all the same length. non abs cars will have no abs ring while abs cars have an abs ring. thats the only difference

90-93 integra driver side axles have a male inner joint and work with 90-93 integra intermediate shaft
94-01 integra driver side axles have a female inner joint and work with 94-01 integra intermediate shaft

those axles themselves are the same as well just different inner joints. you can use the corresponding intermediate shaft and axle and they will work on 90-01 integra/92-95 civic/96-00 civic

to the guy having axle issues. you said you replaced the suspension on the hatchback. what did you replace exactly and what did you replace it with? i also noticed you have a castle nut on the end of the wishbone bolt. that is not correct and that bolt is in backwards. the bolt head always faces towards the front of the car and the nut faces the back. easy way to remember

not sure whats going on axle wise but i would try a different axle and see what happens. the QC on these has gone to **** since they are all made in china and cost the part stores less than 10 an axle. so it not fitting properly doesnt surprise me. you might have to go through a couple before you find on that fits
Old 04-01-2024, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll continue looking into the axles. Rockauto does have all passenger axles as same part number for all integra and 00 civic si. I'll check local parts stores around for part numbers.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hasport
you only need to remove the dust ring in 88-91 chassis

90-01 integra passenger axles are all the same length. non abs cars will have no abs ring while abs cars have an abs ring. thats the only difference

90-93 integra driver side axles have a male inner joint and work with 90-93 integra intermediate shaft
94-01 integra driver side axles have a female inner joint and work with 94-01 integra intermediate shaft

those axles themselves are the same as well just different inner joints. you can use the corresponding intermediate shaft and axle and they will work on 90-01 integra/92-95 civic/96-00 civic

to the guy having axle issues. you said you replaced the suspension on the hatchback. what did you replace exactly and what did you replace it with? i also noticed you have a castle nut on the end of the wishbone bolt. that is not correct and that bolt is in backwards. the bolt head always faces towards the front of the car and the nut faces the back. easy way to remember

not sure whats going on axle wise but i would try a different axle and see what happens. the QC on these has gone to **** since they are all made in china and cost the part stores less than 10 an axle. so it not fitting properly doesnt surprise me. you might have to go through a couple before you find on that fits
I replaced pretty much everything. Inner outer tie rods, upper and lower control arms, lower ball joint, new wheel bearings, new axles, everything went well until I went to tighten the axle nuts and noticed this issue... I tried 2 different axles already same issue.

Quick Reply: b16 in 93 eg swap help needed