Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B series turbo wont idle anymore

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B series turbo wont idle anymore

Hey guys i recently just got my car dynoed and it ran very well and idled well. Day by day the idle got worse and worse (sitting at a lower rpm) and it came to the point where my car wont even start anymore. Does anyone know what could cause this? Like i said it started really good for a week and then after a week is kept getting worse and worse.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2018, 02:21 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: B series turbo wont idle anymore

either bad tune or IACV going out
Old 10-05-2018, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Contact your tuner
Old 10-05-2018, 04:57 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

tune, iacv, loss of compression, or **** build.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Alright thank you ill look into it from these suggestions. The build is solid, vtec wasnt working so we put a half *** tune on it till i got it to work. So i haven't really driven it. Just idled once in awhile
Old 10-05-2018, 08:08 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by Vryantec
...... vtec wasnt working so we put a half *** tune on it till i got it to work. ..............
That pretty much sums up to a SHITTY BUILD.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
WOWW!! Funny guy, maybe it didnt work because my tach wasnt wired to my dizzy?? Lets not hop on pages and call peoples build shitty, because mines no ebay build. Its probably better than your build so hop off.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Even a good build can break... so don't just assume the problem is the tuner. Reset the ECU and clear out the fuel trims, clean off your spark plugs (or replace them) and see how that goes. If the issue persists, a compression test might be a good test to get an idea about the engine's health.
You have alluded to a problem with the VTEC system, and suggested that the reason that it isn't working is a failure to wire your distributor to the tach. This is incorrect... the distributor reports the RPM count to the ECU, so as long as your VSS is functioning and you have the necessary oil volume, VTEC should work.

It is best to get the engine functioning fully before going to the tuner.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:17 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Alright thank you ill look into it from these suggestions. The build is solid, vtec wasnt working so we put a half *** tune on it till i got it to work. So i haven't really driven it. Just idled once in awhile
WOWW!! Funny guy, maybe it didnt work because my tach wasnt wired to my dizzy?? Lets not hop on pages and call peoples build shitty, because mines no ebay build. Its probably better than your build so hop off.
Unfortunately you have chosen phrasing to give the impression of the feedback you are receiving. As well as you are being hypocritical by thanking one person saying it and condemning the other person saying it.

I'm not saying the opinion is nice or couldn't be presented more tactfully but I am saying it is at least partially if not mostly self induced. Had you not responded in kind, it may have been removed, but **** has been thrown from both sides so the **** sticks.

Focus on the helpful advice in the thread and go from there, and if possible phrase your responses in a way to avoid giving the impression of half assed work.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:09 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

haha...real funny. Remember, I'm not the one making a thread on H-T. You said it yourself about throwing on a shitty tune. What does wiring up a tach have anything to do with VTEC not working? Enlighten us all with your knowledge........
Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

haha...real funny. Remember, I'm not the one making a thread on H-T. You said it yourself about throwing on a shitty tune. What does wiring up a tach have anything to do with VTEC not working? Enlighten us all with your knowledge........
To be fair, I think OP was trying to say they fuqed with the tune which got it running more or less. However the tune is now not really a tune anymore as it's not calibrated to the car as much as morphed into something the car will at least idle on.

I think JRCivic1 covered all the critical possibilities in the event it wasn't the tune or ECU but something mechanical.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

As mentioned above bro go back basic and see why it’s not firing. Engine needs spark, fuel and air to ignite, check compression, check spark from your plug wires without the spark plug and with the spark plug, and check for fuel pressure from fuel rail or fuel filter. Start with those.

also do you hear your fuel pump prime when you turn ignition to second click??? Check your valve lash also.