Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B-series reverse is synchronized!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-series reverse is synchronized!

I had my b16 tranny open for an LS 5th, and I got into actually looking at the various syncronizers. From what I see, reverse does have an associated synchronizer!

Take a look at the mainshaft:

When you shift into a forward gear, like 5th, normally what happens is that the synchro sleeve moves partway onto the synchro ring. The synchro ring in turn puts pressure on the cone of 5th gear, and the resulting friction makes the speed of 5th gear match that of the sleeve. When that happens, the teeth on the gear line up with the teeth on the synchro ring, and you finish the shift by locking the sleeve onto the gear.

With the reverse syncro, things are a bit different. The taper ring takes the place of the cone on the gear. The taper ring, in turn, is kept from rotating by the stop ring, which is indexed into the transmission case. When the sleeve applies force to the syncro ring, creating friction between the synchro ring and the taper ring, that friction instead tries to stop the mainshaft from rotating, so that the straight-cut reverse idler gear can drop into place. If you try to shift while the car's moving, the synchro teeth will not line up, and it will be difficult to shift into reverse.

So b-series transmissions are in fact fully synchronized.

Edit: clarified.

Modified by fdavie at 3:21 AM 8/4/2007
Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B-series reverse is synchronized! (fdavie)

You mean your tranny is.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Re: B-series reverse is synchronized! (ke98248)

The image is from the teg manual, my b16 del sol transmission is the same inside, except for gear ratios. I doubt that any b-series trans, type-r included, has a different mechanism for reverse - the shift mechanism would have to be different, and from what I know about the type rs, they didn't create new components for them so much as modify existing ones. It would take a big change to eliminate the reverse syncro.

I'd be willing to bet every B-series transmission has that synchro ring.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B-series reverse is synchronized! (fdavie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fdavie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The image is from the teg manual, my b16 del sol transmission is the same inside, except for gear ratios. I doubt that any b-series trans, type-r included, has a different mechanism for reverse - the shift mechanism would have to be different, and from what I know about the type rs, they didn't create new components for them so much as modify existing ones. It would take a big change to eliminate the reverse syncro.

I'd be willing to bet every B-series transmission has that synchro ring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Peachy, I'm 90% sure you don't have syncros as far as the reverse gear goes.

Lemme go find bense for ya.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: B-series reverse is synchronized! (Syndacate)

now you can shift into reverse while on the highway!
Old 08-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B-series reverse is synchronized! (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great, now you can shift into reverse while on the highway!</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL - not the help I had in mind .

That's not too far outta reach, that happened to my friend in his Camaro. He went for 5th, hit reverse....you ever been in a Camaro doing ~140+ and the rear tires lock the expletive up? Scary ****.

Then the best part about it is theoretically that shouldn't even be possible..but he got it in there....and we almost crashed.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: B-series reverse is synchronized! (Syndacate)

It's a brake for the mainshaft. That's all it does.

When the clutch pedal is pressed and the shift lever is moved to reverse, it stops the mainshaft from spinning and keeps you from grinding the 1-2 sleeve with the reverse idler gear.