Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b series rebuild help/ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default b series rebuild help/ideas

Hello, I currently have a b18b1 in my 93 civic hatchback, that is losing quite a bit of oil, from both burning and leaking. So, I planned on rebuilding it and I wanted to get some help on what I should do, before I start doing anything.

First off, I planned on buying a b20, to either do a b20v build or just daily it until I get my b18 rebuilt.
To kind of give some idea, of what I'm wanting to make in terms of power, somewhere around 300-400 hp on pump gas (we don't really have e85 in my area).
I obviously plan on going turbo with those kind of numbers, but not right away, so I would still want to motor to be enjoyable to drive until I do turbo it. If it is similar power to my b18, I'm perfectly fine with that.
I'm really unsure what kind of compression I should go for. I've read that high compression isn't as reliable on a turbo setup compared to low compression, but I know that, a lower compression motor can be kind of sluggish if it is N/A. So, what would be a good middle ground if I plan to turbo it later?
With the numbers I want to achieve, do I need to do any head work whether I go b20v or ls (valve spring, retainers, cam, etc.)
If I rebuild the motor and I change the compression and so on, will I have to get the car re-tuned?
My budget is around the $2500-$3500 area, so if you have any part recommendations or ideas, I mostly care more about reliably more than anything, so if you have any suggestion that would work best for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: b series rebuild help/ideas

A simple rod and piston setup with ARP head studs and hardware will be your best bet. Eagle H beams with Wiseco pistons are a tried and true combo. Shoot for 10.5ish to 1 compression.

You don’t need head work, but it’s never a bad idea. A basic spring and retainer upgrade like Supertech is a good choice. Valves and guides/seals only if they are needed, and porting is really your preference.

Basically as long as you’re rebuilding, replace everything that you sensibly can maintenance wise to make sure it will be running like new when you’re all done.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
A simple rod and piston setup with ARP head studs and hardware will be your best bet. Eagle H beams with Wiseco pistons are a tried and true combo. Shoot for 10.5ish to 1 compression.

You don’t need head work, but it’s never a bad idea. A basic spring and retainer upgrade like Supertech is a good choice. Valves and guides/seals only if they are needed, and porting is really your preference.

Basically as long as you’re rebuilding, replace everything that you sensibly can maintenance wise to make sure it will be running like new when you’re all done.
Ok, a lot of useful information, thank you, I just have a few more questions.

What exactly is effective compression ratio, I understand that it involves your static compression ratio, with a certain boost level, but what does it exactly mean? Is their a number that would be considered dangerous?
Should I go for a ls/v or b20v setup or just stick non-vtec?
If I stay with my b18b1, should I get it machined at all?
Lastly, after the rebuild is all said and done, would it need to be re tuned?
Old 09-08-2018, 10:32 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Going vtec will be worthwhile. B20v is good, but LSV will hold more power on stock sleeves. Of course it should be tuned, if changing compression or cams it is necessary, and even if just rebuilding it is always beneficial to tune.

As far as what you mention regarding “safe” compression, it all comes down to the tune. 10:1 range for static compression ratio is a good middle ground for where a safe tune can be achieved with turbo on most fuels. Any lower and you are giving up all your power out of boost. Any higher and tuning and fuel quality becomes much more critical.

Last edited by 2x0; 09-08-2018 at 11:15 AM.