Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b series engines... all require premium gas?

Old 11-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default b series engines... all require premium gas?

hey guys

i wanted to do an auto-manual swap, but instead i have been thinking of just doing a whole complete swap. while the engine is being swapped, a manual tranny would normally come with it anyways (correct?)

anyhow, i was wondering if all the b series engines required premium gas? its probably not going to be built, or boosted. im just going to be running an NA b-series.

thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (ekcivic9)

I know GS-R engines require premium gas, I'm assuming Type R motors are the same. However, I'm not sure about the b16a series engines.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:26 PM

Yes GSR/Type R/B16 require Premium gas.. says so on the cluster and gas door
Old 11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (JDM-EJ1)

All B series require premium fuel or else the computer will retard the timing and there will be knocking. Also you wont get the max performance out of your B series on regular fuel.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (93SiVtec677)

im pretty sure b18a/b and b20s do not require premium
Old 11-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (93SiVtec677)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93SiVtec677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All B series require premium fuel or else the computer will retard the timing and there will be knocking. Also you wont get the max performance out of your B series on regular fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LShatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im pretty sure b18a/b and b20s do not require premium </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is correct. These are from the Integra RS/LS/GS/SE and the CRV, and they do not require premium. 87 octane is fine.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

humm... well i really would like a swap, but gas prices are a little on the hefty side

what i really want is a manual tranny, but ive come to realize its not worth all the trouble to just swap the tranny.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ekcivic9)

Just do the swap, suck up, and pay for premium fuel.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (litterbox)

yeah premium is only a few cents more
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hehe ok ok. my current d16 is doing pretty crappy gas mileage wise anyways. im only getting 26.

offtopic: LS hatchie your post count is at 999!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
offtopic: LS hatchie your post count is at 999!</TD></TR></TABLE>

?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LShatchie)

I used to use plus, 89 octane on my hybrid. It never knocked.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">humm... well i really would like a swap, but gas prices are a little on the hefty side

what i really want is a manual tranny, but ive come to realize its not worth all the trouble to just swap the tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with the size of a gas tank in a Civic the extra cost is minimal. I wouldnt decide on a swap based on that.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (ekcivic9)

87 Octane will give you more low end, as it is a less controlled slighly more volatile burn, and the detonation in fact acts like timing advance in older engines. Hear me out....

100 Octane is a very controlled burn, the least volatile mixture you can get without additives. 100% Octane, 0% Heptane.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

Heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

Everything in between is a mixture, the less controlled, the less top end, the greater potential for peak low-end torque however (low rpm).

The more controlled, the slower burn, the more top end.

Anyone who runs 94 Octane and then switches back to Petro 91 for example, will know what I am talking about. It feels like the car as more bottom end, more torque, it certainly doesn't feel slower, and on the other hand, you switch to 94 Octane, it certainly doesn't feel faster.

Its like installing cams in your car, you go to a higher profile cam, your peak toqur will drop, but your peak HP will climb. Since torque is all you feel in a car, your car will actually feel slower, even though you are making more HP.

Continuing....

Any car that achieves peak fuel mileage, is done on 87 Octane fuel, UNLESS... your car is not running properly on 87 Octane to begin with, as you have the time advance set to high, compression to high etc, wher eyou would actually achieve better fuel mileage, if you decreased the timing advance and lowered the compression, so it would not ping, at the cost of less top end.

Higher octane gives you the ability to make more HP, more top end, more higher end torque, but on a properly tuned low compression engine, low revving, you will achieve better fuel mileage on low octane fuel then high octane fuel, as the actual charge is faster burning, more volatile, AND, the slight detonation (its not really detotnation more accurately defined as a slight pre-ignition) that does occur, acts like timing advance, and your engine won't ping.

Try it out in your car if you don't believe me, run 87 and then 94. Also there are several studys on the net on fuel mileage vs octane. Take a peak before you say I am full of it."

~Copied from http://www.winnipegheights.com, user BV1~
Old 11-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (transpar_nt)

^^^^^

t3h pwn
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM

i have a higher compression b16a and put premium in it just because i used to have a premium only car so im used to it....and with higher compression motors you want a higher octane
Old 11-08-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (transpar_nt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by transpar_nt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its like installing cams in your car, you go to a higher profile cam, your peak toqur will drop, but your peak HP will climb. Since torque is all you feel in a car, your car will actually feel slower, even though you are making more HP.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually i'll disagree with you here. cams will add to peak torque, but just at a higher rpm. you dont lose peak torque, and if you do, its a tuning problem. If cams made your torque drop, you wouldn't gain any horsepower based upon how horsepower is calculated, provided that you dont just rev it alot higher than you did before the cam install.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just do the swap, suck up, and pay for premium fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (LShatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LShatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im pretty sure b18a/b and b20s do not require premium </TD></TR></TABLE>

throw a vtec head on there and they will or they will ping.

i think he means all b-series that are vtec...

Modified by j4yd3um4lyf3 at 12:19 PM 11/9/2005
Old 11-08-2005, 07:04 PM
* B A N N E D *

? = do i need premium for all b-series engines
answer = just quit being a ***** and do an engine swap

lol i love 92-00 civic forum

the answer is b-series VTEC engines require premium, bot not the rest (CR-V has no premium requirement, or an integra LS as mentioned above)
Old 11-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGmikeH22)

its 10 cents more for 91 here in iowa and 20 cents more for 93, so it will cost you 1 or 2 more dollars a tank.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:20 PM

High Octane is only for high compression engines. If you hear knocking in your engine it has nothing to do with what type of gas you putting in. Octane only helps high compression engines so they wont pre-ignite. (I can better explain it if i was talking to you) Octane slows the flash point but puttin premium doesnt make your engine run better it just makes high compression engines work the way their were design to do
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (masteraj88)

hey as long as u dont live in california, u dont need to worry about gas prices. anyways just swap the motor cause its only like 15-20 cents more for premium.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas? (91civicDXdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually i'll disagree with you here. cams will add to peak torque, but just at a higher rpm. you dont lose peak torque, and if you do, its a tuning problem. If cams made your torque drop, you wouldn't gain any horsepower based upon how horsepower is calculated, provided that you dont just rev it alot higher than you did before the cam install.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I was just quoting some useful info from another site. I wasn't necessarily meaning to say that you should put premium in your civic/integra, but rather explaining how the manufacturers come up with their "premium only" mantra.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: b series engines... all require premium gas?

I have a b18 and they guy i bought it from never told me to run premium in it so im guessing he never did either. I have been running premium in it since i got it. Will it fix itself if i do that now? cause it didnt pass emissions, the hydrocarbons were to high. I need some ideas for how to pass or what is wrong. It has a short ram intake and a nos kit but nos was never used. It sounds like it might have a misfire. Could that be why I am not passing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: b series engines... all require premium gas?