Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B-series and D-series engines?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-series and D-series engines?

I was wondering if putting in a B-series motor in a 94 civic ex would fit just like a D-series motor? if not then what would I have to do?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (roykanyon)

a B is way better than a D...but go to the search feature at the top and look it up...
this question has been asked 47846756948358 times......
Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (JDM RuLeS)

No it wont fit like the d-series. You will need B-series motor mounts, alxes, shift linkage
Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

direct bolt on!! even better then d-series motor get a 95 gsr!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (JDM RuLeS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM RuLeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a B is way better than a D...but go to the search feature at the top and look it up...
this question has been asked 47846756948358 times...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Very subjective statement: "B is way better than a D" - I can't justify paying the amount people pay for a B16A for 11 more ft-lbs of torque than a stock Z6.

Though yes, it's been asked billions of times, OP should have searched.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roykanyon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wondering if putting in a B-series motor in a 94 civic ex would fit just like a D-series motor? if not then what would I have to do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

As Panda EG6 said, you need B series mounts, B series axles, B series transmission, B series shifter linkage, and the correct ECU, then some misc. wiring on some of them (nothing super hard, a little plug cutting if you're putting an OBD-I engine into an OBD-II car (or vice versa) but if it's the same OBD it's just plug swapping or maybe adding wires for VTEC or the IAB's.

Though it's easy as ****, cheap as ****, and it's done on a daily basis so there's tons of info on it.

Some people recommend going to hmotorsonline.com - they sell engine swaps - complete swaps, not just the shortblock, too.

Though they want a lot of money for their "100% start up warranty" - you can shave like 30% off their prices (or more) if you buy locally/go to a junk yard to get the motor - but of course you don't get the guarantee of ~30k on the motor + 100% startup.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (dc2_poojan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2_poojan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">direct bolt on!! even better then d-series motor get a 95 gsr!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

???? Go on.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Very subjective statement: "B is way better than a D" - I can't justify paying the amount people pay for a B16A for 11 more ft-lbs of torque than a stock Z6.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What about the 45 more hp? B16As can be had for like $1800 for the whole swap. There's no way in hell to retain factory driveability and reliability and gain 45hp on a D series for $1800. Dont hate.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roykanyon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wondering if putting in a B-series motor in a 94 civic ex would fit just like a D-series motor? if not then what would I have to do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Search. If you buy a B series as a "complete swap" FROM A REPUTABLE SUPPLIER, you will need nothing else. You will only have to run a 1 wire sub harness for knock.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM

Meh it fits just boost the d like a real man.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Re: (soupE so JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soupE so JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Meh it fits just boost the d like a real man.</TD></TR></TABLE>
wtf???????

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What about the 45 more hp? B16As can be had for like $1800 for the whole swap. There's no way in hell to retain factory driveability and reliability and gain 45hp on a D series for $1800. Dont hate.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you ...and their far more worth putting performance parts on to...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Re: (soupE so JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soupE so JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Meh it fits just boost the d like a real man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your D boosted?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's no way in hell to retain factory driveability and reliability and gain 45hp on a D series for $1800.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have to disagree with that, although we'd have to qualify the use of "factory" in that statement. "Factory" as in 15 year old, 150,000 miles "factory"? Cuz I could easily put nitrous or a custom turbo kit onto a low mileage JDM D-series motor for less than $1800, and it will outlast the same car with the stock motor. That is what most of us are talking about when the D-series is brought up.

I don't disagree with the fact that the B is a stronger motor and a better platform for people whose goals are "as much power as I can afford". But the fact is, most people's goals are to have a well balanced, fun to drive, street car. For the majority of us, there is a strong case for arguing that a D series is better suited to that goal.

I have a 120whp stock-ish D-series that gets 35+ mpg. (If I ever discipline myself enough to cruise below 80mph (not easy on 600-800 mile trips), I know I would be topping 45mpg. My goal is to turbocharge it for around 180-ish whp and still retain the mileage and reliability that I have now. This is by no means a far fetched goal. I have no need/desire to exceed 180hp having driven several similar cars with that much power. If I wanted a drag car, I would build my stock Integra.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't disagree with the fact that the B is a stronger motor and a better platform for people whose goals are "as much power as I can afford". But the fact is, most people's goals are to have a well balanced, fun to drive, street car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do agree with the idea of a well rounded daily driver. The fact of the matter is though, B-series is really nice for daily driving. Although you only want 180whp on the d-series, you will still have to turbo, tune, buy the parts, and have the know how to boost. Having a stock B series motor making a little less bone stock, isn't always a bad idea to have on the street. I'm all in for turbo D-series, but its pretty apparent that B-Series motors are more "well rounded" than D-series motors. With D-series motors, if they aren't turboed or fully built, then they are pretty used for grocery getters, or are temporary until the swap money comes To the OP, if you buy from an authorized dealer as said before, a complete swap sould be 98.5% plug and play
Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Base numbers:
B16A - 160HP 111lbs/ft TQ
D16Z6 - 125HP 106lbs/ft TQ

Okay, I see 35HP and only 5lbs/ft TQ more. $1,800+ for a B16A swap, and thats all is gained.

$0 for a D16Z6 (from his already '94 EX), $500-$1,000 for a custom turbo kit, and he'll be gaining much better numbers than a B16A. Also, possibly $800+ leftover for tuning and anything else he wants to do with his money. With the right setup and tuning, it is possible for a turbo D-series to get 28+ MPG.

I'd rather spend about $1,000-$1,500 for a B18B swap over a B16A. Torque &gt; horsepower. B18B w/ shorter geared tranny (B18C/CR, B16A) is better than a stock B16A.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And to the OP, please <FONT COLOR="red"><u>Search</u></FONT> before you post ask questions.

You'll find the majority of the information you need in here:
NEW FAQ'S INDEX - '92-'00 Civic / Del Sol
Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM

Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (skip.two)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skip.two &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Base numbers:
B16A - 160HP 111lbs/ft TQ
D16Z6 - 125HP 106lbs/ft TQ

Okay, I see 35HP and only 5lbs/ft TQ more. $1,800+ for a B16A swap, and thats all is gained.

$0 for a D16Z6 (from his already '94 EX), $500-$1,000 for a custom turbo kit, and he'll be gaining much better numbers than a B16A. Also, possibly $800+ leftover for tuning and anything else he wants to do with his money. With the right setup and tuning, it is possible for a turbo D-series to get 28+ MPG.

I'd rather spend about $1,000-$1,500 for a B18B swap over a B16A. Torque &gt; horsepower. B18B w/ shorter geared tranny (B18C/CR, B16A) is better than a stock B16A.</TD></TR></TABLE>

JDM B16A = 170HP.

I never said the turbo D wouldn't be faster than the stock B16A. It's not gonna be anywhere NEAR as reliable as a solid B16A swap. Not even close.

Factory reliability is still maintianed with the B16A swap.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

JDM B16A = 170HP.

I never said the turbo D wouldn't be faster than the stock B16A. It's not gonna be anywhere NEAR as reliable as a solid B16A swap. Not even close.

Factory reliability is still maintianed with the B16A swap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

realiablity is all in the tune, If you have a Properly tuned Turbo D-series and Maintain it well, then there is no reason that it shouldn't be as realiable as a Stock B-series.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (Speed_1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed_1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

realiablity is all in the tune, If you have a Properly tuned Turbo D-series and Maintain it well, then there is no reason that it shouldn't be as realiable as a Stock B-series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a weird theory. The stock B series is more solid motor than a stock D series. But you're saying that a turbo charged D series will be as reliable as a stock B series? In what universe?

Reliability is not all in the tune. Tuning doesn't completely cancel out the physical and mechanical forces going on inside the motor. It's still an open deck, cast internal, non reinforced, ECONOMY motor. The lengths that OEMs go to make their turbo setups reliable is very extensive. Read the specs on a stock SR20DET or 4G63 or 2JZGTE or RB26DETT for example. Then read the specs on a D series. Compared to those engines, the D series may as well be made from paper and spit.

People keep saying that a ghetto $1K turbo kit on a D series is reliable. Compared to what? A Yugo with a clogged fuel filter and a 200 shot?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what gives the jdm b16 10hp more? is it the compression ratio?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

omg not this subject. OP- go to the hybrid forum, grab a big *** starbucks coffee and read read read.

the rest of you...come on man. seriously. is this needed, AGAIN? threads like this show that even opinions can be wrong.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (povs9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by povs9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what gives the jdm b16 10hp more? is it the compression ratio?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes. It's got a 10.4:1 CR, IIRC.

But yes, these threads have been beaten to death. Anytime anyone asks a question about anything, people jump in with the "boost it" answer. There ARE reasons not to boost a car. The OP wasn't asking if he should boost his D series.

I'll defend my points, but I wont jump into some guy's thread where he's asking what size turbo to use and say "F that!! put a B series in it!!!"

If I cant answer the question, I dont.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
* B A N N E D *

I suggest you just decide which you want to do. Either turbo your D and have a fast fun ride or complete a B series swap and have a fast fun ride. Either way it's up to you.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's a weird theory. The stock B series is more solid motor than a stock D series. But you're saying that a turbo charged D series will be as reliable as a stock B series? In what universe?

Reliability is not all in the tune. Tuning doesn't completely cancel out the physical and mechanical forces going on inside the motor. It's still an open deck, cast internal, non reinforced, ECONOMY motor. The lengths that OEMs go to make their turbo setups reliable is very extensive. Read the specs on a stock SR20DET or 4G63 or 2JZGTE or RB26DETT for example. Then read the specs on a D series. Compared to those engines, the D series may as well be made from paper and spit.

People keep saying that a ghetto $1K turbo kit on a D series is reliable. Compared to what? A Yugo with a clogged fuel filter and a 200 shot?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Try PMing lets say.. Dustin (BauleyCivic), and tell him differently.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But yes, these threads have been beaten to death. Anytime anyone asks a question about anything, people jump in with the "boost it" answer. There ARE reasons not to boost a car. The OP wasn't asking if he should boost his D series.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Which actually started with somebody stating "B is way better than a D." And you'd just happen to want to be defending somebody that said something with such ignorance and irrelevancy.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 AM

Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (skip.two)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skip.two &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Try PMing lets say.. Dustin (BauleyCivic), and tell him differently.

Which actually started with somebody stating "B is way better than a D." And you'd just happen to want to be defending somebody that said something with such ignorance and irrelevancy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont need to PM anyone. A turbo D is NOT as reliable as a stock B series with bolt ons. It's not possible.

I wasn't defending anyone's statement. When syndacate said that the B16A is not worth it because it only has 11 more lb/ft of torque, I mentioned that he conveniently left out the 45 extra HP.

Even if the other guy's statement about the B being better than a D seems crude, think about it. It's 100% true. The B series IS a superior motor to the D series. Name one stock D series that makes more or as much HP as any stock B series (actually, I think the JDM D16 dual cam made 140hp...which is about the same as a B20 or LS...so that single anomoly being excluded). The B series also responds better to mods. It has a more performance oriented design. Better oiling, better internals, better rod/stroke ratios, 2 cams, better flowing head, better trans gearing with LSD options. The list goes on. It's a superior motor to a D series. How can you argue that? It would be like me arguing that the B series is superior to the K series. It would be a ridiculous statement.

Your argument may be that a turbo D series will make more power than a bolt on B16A for less $$...but that's pretty much where the advantages stop.

You can't possibly be naieve enough to think that a slapped together turbo D series is going to be as reliable as a stock B series with bolt ons. Again, the B series STARTS OUT as a more solid/reliable platform for performance use. So how does turbocharging the D series suddenly make it more solid? It's impossible. Think about what you're implying.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL @ this thread.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B-series and D-series engines? (onsetofpurity)

wow...BSerious is correct.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont need to PM anyone. A turbo D is NOT as reliable as a stock B series with bolt ons. It's not possible.

You can't possibly be naieve enough to think that a slapped together turbo D series is going to be as reliable as a stock B series with bolt ons. Again, the B series STARTS OUT as a more solid/reliable platform for performance use. So how does turbocharging the D series suddenly make it more solid? It's impossible. Think about what you're implying. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, and now you're stating something you think isn't possible without knowing facts, or even trying to learn. Sure a B-series is a nice starting platform, which I did not say I didn't agree on. But you're stating that any D-series turbo setup cannot be as reliable as a stock B16A. A B16A2 in a Civic estimates around 26/31MPG. There are people with turbo'd D-series that also get the same mileage. With the turbo proper setup and tuning, it is possible.

I've suggested a person for you to talk with, and has more knowledge about this subject. But obviously your stubbornness and pride doesn't want to be wrong. Which makes this conversation pointless. Have a good one, sir.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B-series and D-series engines?