Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b series build advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b series build advice plz

im in college and the budget is low and its not about to change. i have a gsr motor with a freshly rebuild head but bad rings. the plan for a while has been to rebuild with jdm b16 pistons and go the N/A route.
but of course the option of boost is alwasy lurking in the back of my head.

things i want from my build.. reliability (goal is to make it last 150k miles), N/A power of 200whp, boost power of 250whp. and budget. must be as cheap as possible. lets say 2,500 (not set amount)

so with my budget here are my options.
1. continue as normal and rebuild my gsr for 200whp and lots of reliability

2. sell my gsr short block with bad rings and buy another one without bad rings. then small turbo application (T28 gtir or internal wastegate T3)

3. sell the gsr long block and buy a ls and turbo that with similar setup or possibly evo3 16g.
[getting the ls makes up for reliability cuz of how cheap the short blocks are if i ever blow anything.]

yes i have searched and have not found any1 with similar delema as i.
yes i know "power,reliable,price. pick 2" i get it.. but some ways of doing things are cheaper than others just because you spend less doesnt mean its less reliable. good deals are out there.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: b sereis build advice plz

Just keep the gsr, and build it for boost, and then install a turbo kit when your are able to afford one.

Make sure you have a good tune, done by someone who isn't stupid.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b sereis build advice plz

the best option always has to cost the most and take the most time doesnt it? lol

and yes i trust Mikey from ProFunction as the best tuner around.

was kinda hoping to be done with the motor this year

if i did that id prolly just rebuild with gsr pistons .25 over stock sleeves and stock cams
wouldnt spend money on resleeving and getting forged internals for a meer 250whp lol
Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Master Detailer

Default Re: b series build advice plz

That is do able on stock internals.

But you never know what your goals will be in a year or two.

If this were id build the block, stock sleeves are just fine.
Pistons,rods, head studs, and gaskets
Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya oem honda everything is the plan. from pistons and rings to bearings and washers.
and already got head studs.

i still havent decided. my buddy is with you and says wait wait wait for turbo. but 200whp all motor this spring sounds mighty appitising compared to another year or possibly 2 years of stock gsr.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Master Detailer

Thats true, However you wont be doing that N/A with all stock internals.

If you want boost, rebuild the stock gsr block, then pick stock ITR/CTR cams, with valve train. Then you'll have a pretty nice N/A motor, that will still be good for boost down the road.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Answer me this: Whats more important? A dyno # or a track time?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Thats true, However you wont be doing that N/A with all stock internals.

If you want boost, rebuild the stock gsr block, then pick stock ITR/CTR cams, with valve train. Then you'll have a pretty nice N/A motor, that will still be good for boost down the road.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya my gsr head already has itr cams and valve train in it. And no, a dyno number or a little drag racing slip arnt important to me. The car will just be a fun daily driver and a few road racing events each summer

But ya maby rebuilding with gsr pistons and keeping my itr cams won't be so bad.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Master Detailer

Wont be bad at all, all you need is a good tune.

Gsr's do great with boost.

My friend's old setup was like this, stock gsr block, except for itr pistons. Pnp'd gsr head, all ITR valve trian, ITR cams. makes 335whp, and he daily drives the car. It has over 10k miles on it with 0 problems, other than a pesky little oil leak we cant seem to find.
He doesnt beat on the car, however he drives it hard, he has a pretty conservitive tune (per tuner), gets good MPG and is pretty freaking quick.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by angryhillbilly
im in college and the budget is low and its not about to change. i have a gsr motor with a freshly rebuild head but bad rings. the plan for a while has been to rebuild with jdm b16 pistons and go the N/A route.
but of course the option of boost is alwasy lurking in the back of my head.

things i want from my build.. reliability (goal is to make it last 150k miles), N/A power of 200whp, boost power of 250whp. and budget. must be as cheap as possible. lets say 2,500 (not set amount)

so with my budget here are my options.
1. continue as normal and rebuild my gsr for 200whp and lots of reliability

2. sell my gsr short block with bad rings and buy another one without bad rings. then small turbo application (T28 gtir or internal wastegate T3)

3. sell the gsr long block and buy a ls and turbo that with similar setup or possibly evo3 16g.
[getting the ls makes up for reliability cuz of how cheap the short blocks are if i ever blow anything.]

yes i have searched and have not found any1 with similar delema as i.
yes i know "power,reliable,price. pick 2" i get it.. but some ways of doing things are cheaper than others just because you spend less doesnt mean its less reliable. good deals are out there.

The main problem is you want something for nothing. We all have dreams, but the reality is something done right is not cheap. Sometimes we all have to be content with what we have until our circumstances change. Cheapness shows when it comes to cars. Please don't be upset at my post because I'm not trying to be rude....just real. I would forget the whole idea of boost right now because if your budget is not great then that should be way outside of it. I'm just now building my second car after years of having to get other things in my life straightened out. Not what I wanted, but it was the right thing to do.

Plus, if your budget is not great, why would you want to risk blowing up a motor? That really makes no sense regardless of how you twist it. If you can afford to blow up and engine, then your budget is not as tight as you say. Based off what you said, blowing up an engine should be the one thing you are trying to avoid.

Good luck with it all.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eksessiv
The main problem is you want something for nothing.
Pretty sure he said his budget is about $2500. That's not a whole lot, but it certainly isn't nothing. He could pick up a used LS motor and piece together an entire turbo setup for that much, using mostly brand new parts.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 8YourV8
Pretty sure he said his budget is about $2500. That's not a whole lot, but it certainly isn't nothing. He could pick up a used LS motor and piece together an entire turbo setup for that much, using mostly brand new parts.
Well, as I previously said I was not trying to be a jerk. So please know that.

My main point is nothing great is usually cheap. And if his budget will be tight for a while, why build something that could possibly blow up the engine? To each their own, but just throwing that out there. $2500 is a nice chunk of money to build with though.

Is it possible to save money longer, or is this something you have to do now?

Last edited by eksessiv; 01-05-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: addn