Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B Cruz's hardships with JDMtheory.com...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B Cruz's hardships with JDMtheory.com...

Well I have been patient long enough… words can’t describe the anger I am feeling. I purchased a Sir-G clip from JDMtheory.com…
Originally Posted by My letter to Geoff(May 9th 2004)
To Geoff,

I purchased a 94-95 Sir-G Integra motor swap for my 1992 Civic CX hatchback and
had it picked up by Edison Jacinto on March 25, 2004 for installation. Inside the
car was a brand new OEM replacement clutch(complete pressure plate, clutch disc,
and throw out bearing), OEM Honda timing belt and OEM water pump.

At that time you lent me a Spoon Sports chipped p72 ECU because you informed me
that the ECU that came with the clip was damaged and that you would replace it with a stock p72 as soon as the next shipment arrives.

The car was then received on Wednesday the 31st. I took it for a drive and everything
was fine except it made a louder than usual whining noise in reverse. I then contacted
you and and you told me to bring it to Niki Tam @ Acutech. I brought it in on April
9th. Niki took it for a drive and agreed that it was infact louder than normal and
it could have been caused by a bad bearing or reverse gear. He stated that he was
too backed up to work on it and it would be better for me to bring it back the following
Friday.

I brought it back in the following Friday but he said he wouldn't get to it until
sometime that week. Niki told me it should be ready by Saturday or Sunday at the
latest. I called Saturday and he said he was backed up again until Tuesday at the
latest. I called Tuesday but he said it wasn't done yet and to try back tomorrow.
I fully understand how a shop can get backed up with many customers dropping in
through out the day so I didn't rush him and I told him to take his time and let
me know when it will be ready. I picked it up on the 22nd and drove it home. On
the way home, I would get stuck at stop lights as the transmission would not let
me get in gear. It would lock me out of 1st and reverse and it would just let me
in second, third and fourth when I was at a stop. Also when I was on the freeway,
I noticed that the vtec wouldn't engage. So I proceeded to limp home. When I got
home, I noticed that the Spoon Ecu has been replaced with a chipped US p28. Also
I know the transmission was removed because it was spray painted a cast silver which
most transmission shops do when they remove it.

I gave you a call that same night and you told me to bring it in to Niki again the
next morning. I brought it in to Niki the following morning and he noticed it wouldn't
go in gear and concluded that it was due to a combination of my flywheel not being
resurfaced and my clutch master cylinder that was leaking.

I ordered a brand new OEM Honda clutch master cylinder and seal from Honda and installed
it. Again same symptoms... I still can't put it in gear when I am at a stop. Also
the transmission feels very notchy and it will grind if forced in gear.

I have owned a couple of Hybrid hatchbacks and I have never experienced ANY of these
problems. I have had a 94 civic hatch with a 95 GS-R motor, a 95 DX coupe with a
95 GS-R motor and a couple of 94 and 95 LS Integra's... one of which Ferd owns now.

I have been very patient Geoff and have been very understanding of the situation.
I have used the majority of my days off and a few hours of missed work to get my
car to the shop this passed month.

I need a resolution because my patience is running out. It sucks to spend $4000
on a $2500 car for it just to sit in the garage because it is not safely drivable.

I would appreciate a real 'fix' on the transmission situation by either getting
a completely different tranny or fixxing the transmission that I have thouroughly.

Give me a call at 510-XXX-XXXX

or reply back Geoff.

-Byron Cruz
I never got a e-mail reply back… which is playing it safe on their part.

I called Geoff a few times on May 10th, the day after I sent out this letter from my cell phone. He didn’t pick up. Okay maybe he is busy… Riiight… The next day comes and I call him but this time I turn off my caller ID and what do you know… he picks up the phone and quickly says he just read my e-mail and that he was actually talking to Niki on the other line discussing my car. Hey what a coincidence. He assured me he would call me back as soon as he got off the phone with him…. But he didn’t….

So I wait until the next day (which is the 12th) and he says he was busy but he has arranged for me to drop my car off at the shop so they can inpsect the tranny and replace what is defective.

I dropped my car off on the 15th of May and assumed once again I would be in good hands.

I give Geoff a call on the 18th to see what was up about my car and too see if there is any news. His response was “Didn’t you just drop off the car on the 15th?” I am not at the shop right now give Niki a call. Hmmmm… Ummm okay… So I call Niki and he says “ Umm we are working on it right now and we are still trying to see what is wrong. Also we sent out the ECU to the guy that does our chipping and we’ll get it back in time for you before you pick up your car”.. . So I say okay… my **** is getting worked on… Well later that afternoon I went to visit my bro in law which happens to be in the same city as the shop. So I swing by and what do you know… my car is on the street. :angry: Appears to be untouched.

I give the shop a call again on the 22nd(my car has been there for a week now) and Niki’s reply was its on the lift right now and we are checking it out… but wait a minute didn’t they say the last time…. Hmmm never mind. Okay… So I leave them alone for the next couple of days… My mind is going crazy and I have been Honda-less for so long. It has been a big inconvenience for me commuting-wise which I have been forced to carpool.

I get a call on the 27th and Niki says I installed the wrong clutch or it is defective and I would need to pick up my old one and buy another one…

Well ****… I just spent $350 on that clutch and now I have to purchase another one? The springs were getting a little grinded down and the fingers on the pressure plate were rubbing it. Okay so this time I get a Daikin OEM replacement clutch which is another $300 out of my pocket and I drop it off. Well since they are such a great shop, they charge me $200 for labor.

I pick up my car on the 28th and I was lucky enough to catch Geoff at the shop. I went up to him in his car and I told him ‘Let’s go for a ride’. I want you to know what condition I get my car back in.
So he hops in and by then the car has been warmed up. He hops in and I ‘gun it’ down the street…. And what do you know… no vtec cross-over still. The transmission feels a little better but it still locks me out of 1st and the reverse doesn’t engage properly 50% of the time.
Geoff knows this and he quickly says “I have access to a p72 or a p30 right now but its across the bay at a friends house. I’ll talk to Niki about it tomorrow and I’ll give you a call… WTF?

Haven’t heard from him since ….

So here I am stuck with a JDM B18C with a shitty tranny and a p28 that runs off the stock settings. Oh BTW I was going to drive it to work today but I noticed a coolant leak and my brother in law pointed out that my reverse light doesn’t work.

JDMtheory.com is a subsidiary of Acutech Auto in South San Francisco.

This isn’t slander by anymeans… I am just sharing my experiences with these companies….

If you are from NorCAL, then IMO you should go with a more respectable local company like Rcrewracing.com or even get a motor shipped out to you from importautosalvage.com.

Oh and about _ _ _ _wracing.com, I was going to go through them but when I first met Geoff, he says that a few people went to _ _ _ _ but ended up going to JDMtheory because when they do swaps, they don’t change the oil, they just add more and use the old filter. I don’t know if that’s true or not but all of my dealings with _ _ _ _wracing.com has been excellent from my past projects.

B_Cruz

edit: I have a p72 from them now. tranny is still ****.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (b_cruz)

that sucks. hope you get everything straightened out.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

Damn that sucks. Good luck homie!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn that blows ***, man....goodluck on getting your car running right.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

somebody better know somebody that help him out cause thats bs like a ****
Old 05-30-2004, 12:01 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

WTF I would be seriously pissed off and I would have some deep personal problems with that guy.

That's gay as hell, sorry to hear man.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:01 PM
NW94RS

damn dude that blows i know that i will be going with rcrew for my swap.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:02 PM
New User

ouch, well dam guess I'm not getting my gsr brakes from them
maybe they will read this and rememdy the situation......right this time
Old 05-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (RoaringTurtle)

B I would start looking for a lawyer with the quickness...I hate shady people.

:MAD: for ya bro
Old 05-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that definataly sucks the big one, hopefully resolution to the issue come soon for you. I just hate some of the shady stuff some shops do. As far as R Crew Racing, Dan P. is nothing but a stand up guy, nothing but honest, he came thru for me on few occasions, back in the days of the old hybrid board. I defianlty would recommend him to anyone, never heard a problem with his dealings.

as far as ECU, PM me, I am going to do ya favour.

Old 05-30-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (eg6ajk)

Good looking out for us NorCal folks.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

for shady businesses

if business is tight, things are too hectic, or you're too busy to do
your work properly and as promised,
then dont take on the work in the first place is my opinion.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RoaringTurtle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ouch, well dam guess I'm not getting my gsr brakes from them
maybe they will read this and rememdy the situation......right this time </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that sucks... and sorry for taking up your time that one evening when I brought the ECU to you....

I almost died when I found out what the specs of the ECU were when we hooked it up to your computer..... CAN YOU SAY TOOO LEAN FOR A DOHC!?!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought the situation was shitty when you first told me about it, but man.. they're only getting shadier and shadier
Old 05-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jcarothers)

damn that sucks, looks like i wont buy anything there.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jcarothers)

OUCH !! i hope you get thing worked out man !
Old 05-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

That sucks big time...time for the BBB.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (BauleyCivic)

well from what i understand some of the employees are members on here
so i hope that they will man up on this.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (bucbaby)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmtheory.com site &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
B18C - 96 INTEGRA SiR / GSR

COMPLETE SWAP

ENGINE

TRANSMISSION

ECU

DOHC VTEC 1797cc 180BHP @ 7600 RPM

$2950.00

IN STOCK - PLEASE CALL TO ORDER </TD></TR></TABLE>
doesn't really specify what ecu they give you though

also from the site<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmtheory.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
JDM theory used to be a "word of mouth" shop only, with one thing in mind, quality products, fast transaction and the best customer service. Advertising, Stickers and Web postings were not even a thought. But due to the numerous JDM fans' and loyal customers' requests we were encouraged to set up a website that will cater to anybody who is "All About Japan".
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First and foremost I dont **** with parts from any website with jdm as the first three letters of their company name. I dont care what the reputation.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (137)

wtf... oh hell nah...........

i was reading this bullish, then i saw 'across the bay'... 'south san francisco'....

such ******' shady dealers in the bay area! if no resolution is met, spread the word to the bay community, they will NOT recieve any more clients.......
Old 05-30-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (jdmsiR20)

It amazes me how these kind of shops stay in business. Help the next guy out and report them to the BBB, and keep the word out about this shop. Theres alot of
H-T people in that area...bad word spreads fast.

Good luck man.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDMtheory.com… the next Osaka? (RangerDan)

yeah BBB is my next step.... too bad its a long weekend but I will contact them very soon.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck man...
Old 05-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn that sucks byron...hope everything works out ok..

Quick Reply: B Cruz's hardships with JDMtheory.com...