Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AZ reps keep hocking Seafoam for my 93 civic....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AZ reps keep hocking Seafoam for my 93 civic....

I am skeptical about adding anything into my fuel or oil like this, but AZ keeps hocking/pushing it every time I go in the store even when you guys helped me with my ICM issue a few days ago (Thanks again by the way)

Has anyone ever used this? If so, why? Not knocking it, just curious of the results in a 92-95 civic........

Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AZ reps keep hocking Seafoam for my 93 civic....

I would HIGHLY recommend this product for anything engine wise.

I used to worth with a Car Dealer and everytime he was about to get emissions done on a car he was selling, he throw Seaform into the engine.

Always came back with Zero Emissions. Even on a EK sedan he picked up that was initially blowing blue smoke.

I would like to mention that you can just do this yourself. It's a 2 minute process.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So does this stuff go in the tank or the oil ?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gas, oil, and vacuum line, there are tons of threads on seafoam if you search.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1/3 into the engine oil, 1/3 into the fuel tank, and 1/3 into the intake manifold (take the brake booster hose off while the engine is running and slowly add it in.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lifted326
So does this stuff go in the tank or the oil ?
The directions are on the damn can.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just dont go driving around blowing smoke like all the other idiots.. They didnt read the directions on the can either!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're going to add it to the crank case, make sure you do an oil change within 100 miles after seafoaming.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
The directions are on the damn can.

OP, do some research on SeaFoam. Some advise against it on high mileage engines because it cleans carbon build up and other things which could be the only thing keeping your engine together. Just one thing I've read. SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All:

I have not read the can, because heck I just say no thanks and keep moving.

I did not know if this was a sales push for an AZ product or what.

I know nothing about this stuff except that it is constantly being pushed on me, its on sale, will make my car seem new, cures cancer, and will possibly resurrect Jesus ... again....

So that is why I asked others running older civics like myself to see if they have used or trust this stuff. I just did not want to keep saying no to something that would possibly help the old car, but I did not want to take a reps word either.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM
The Grumpiest

You could have taken 5 seconds and did a Google search.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...w=1581&bih=791
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I seafomed my car a while back did it thru the intake mani and poured some in the gas tank never did the oil cause I had just done an oil change to the car prior to it and didn't want to do anoother one. Everything went well a few months after I did a tps change and looked inside the mani and you can see where it cleaned out etc it improved my mpgs a bit
Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on mileage, etc. you could take everything apart and clean it by hand.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had to replace spark plugs as well when using seafoam
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not know if this was a sales push for an AZ product or what.

I know nothing about this stuff except that it is constantly being pushed on me, its on sale, will make my car seem new, cures cancer, and will possibly resurrect Jesus ... again....
What we consider every sales period (four weeks), there is a sales item or "checkout challenge" as we call them. So yes, they are pushing it because of it being a "on sale" item.

I hate it when some parts people lie every sales period just to push an item. They constantly say something is "best" from period to period.

Make your own informed decision about what you want to use and go from there.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you always save everyone time and do it for them lol
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the past 3 emission checks (over 6 yrs) I have had the garage add it, and I pass every time. No ill effects, and I have a high mileage engine.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Google search tells me the same things from everywhere including what should be on the can.... I wanted to know from people who work on older cars..... not people who guesstimate or take it for granted.

So instead of doing a search... I figured I would ask people with civics and where else better to do that than a Honda site in the Civic EG section?

I just wanted friendly thoughts on the matter ....... I mean its not like I am holding you at gunpoint to post on the thread...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@kab00m

Thanks this answered what I was looking at from a sales perspective. I did not get it because I have never gotten the same story twice from a sales rep.... What does it do.... is usually followed by a host of stories... I just never believed in the magic snake oil fix is all.

@shawnpepper, speedjunkie_g35 and jdmem205

This is really what I was looking for.... trusted experience with other EGs. I looked around on the internet and mostly found quotes by people on other sites that seemed as if they were posted by Seafoam themselves..... like "Seafoam strategically cleanses the interior of my car on a regular basis".... seriously what person that works on their own car talks like an info commercial salesman? So for REAL car answers you come to REAL car guys... at least in my book anyway so I was not listening to eMechanics and NetTechs around the net whom have never had to get oily smudge off of their hands in their life....

Thanks guys
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Google search tells me the same things from everywhere including what should be on the can.... I wanted to know from people who work on older cars..... not people who guesstimate or take it for granted.

So instead of doing a search... I figured I would ask people with civics and where else better to do that than a Honda site in the Civic EG section?

I just wanted friendly thoughts on the matter ....... I mean its not like I am holding you at gunpoint to post on the thread...
In which thread on the internet do you not get the same answers you've gotten in this very thread? Every time this question gets asked the SAME DAMN ANSWERS always pop up.

My experience? Used it per directions. 2 months later, blown engine. Before application had car for 3 years with no issues.

The reviews are ALWAYS mixed. Now if you're just looking for someone to tell you that it's "okay" then you got that. Other people haven't been so lucky in using it either and will tell you NOT to use it. Your choice which group you believe is more credible and want to listen to but no new ground is ever broken in the the "great Seafoam debate".

This "wanting others opinions" crap is just crap when the same opinions are being given year after year.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Trial User

First, im not downing seafoam but... well, Seafoam is a petroleum based product. So, adding Seafoam to anything other than the fuel I see as stupid, AND a waste. I was in an engine building class for 2 years, while there i media, glass bead, shell and sodium blasted ALOT of intake manifolds and other engine parts intoduce to carbon build up and other varnish. For 15 minutes I worked on an intake manifold with high pressure media to get off this carbon and you BARELY seen a difference. SO....gotta ask yourself, how much good do you think this seafoam will do to remove carbon... *answer* NADA!!

You dump 1/3 into your booster line, stall out your car, risk fouling good plugs and damaging cats and o2 sensors. Wait 15 minutes to let it "work" start up your car after...and its a miracle!! 15 years of carbon just came right off, right? I mean you see a lot of smoke when you start, so it must be working right? NOPE! its a placebo effect, you see smoke b/c seafoam is petroleum based, just like burning oil. In your mind the car is running better....

In short, done use it that way. doesn't help anything
Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AZ sucks i worked for em. my regional manager was alway like push it make sales etc. then he'd cut your hours just as fast, so i quit and went to make real money as a machinist. now im applying to work at my local Honda dealer.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

^ side note....working for a honda dealer sucks as well.

all auto related businesses make money on the "upsale" ie you come in for an oil change, and you leave with a A/C service, new cabin air filter, maybe a trans flush etc. Thats where the profit margin is.

However, Honda is one of those few businesses that aren't into the upsell, which is great for the people who own honda's, but suck for the people working there on a commission.

I worked at a Honda dealer 8 years ago, as a service writer, and couldn't barely make enough money to pay for gas to get to the job. I went to work for a chevrolet dealer after and made literally 4x as much a week. Chevy had NO problem with the upsale---hell if we DIDNT upsell it would be a meeting about how your not selling enough. Thats why every trip to the dealer your air filter/cabin air filter need to be changed-- because they pay $4 for em, and charge you $49.95.

At the chevy dealer---it was a 20k/week sales minimum. 80% of our pay was just commission---it was great. Honda wasn't into the upsell. At Honda they had a rule with our dealer to get hired you had to start in the oil change bays,unless you had ASE master certs--and years of experience. Even those master techs got paid 20/hr and were told to make it up on OT. Went to chevy and they paid their B techs 34/hr.

Worlds apart.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats because at a chevy dealership every car that comes in is falling apart. i could have paid for both of my cars with everything thats gone wrong with my one cavalier.

i imagine that was just the dealership you were working at though. any place anywhere is about the upsell. its how they make money. any oil change place ive been the two tire shops and one garage.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

^ I *think* its all honda dealerships are against the upsale. Actually I think it'd be much better worded as they aren't as into you "pushing" services on people. They are happy to just do an oil change, and to follow the reco maint guidelines, instead of....

Service Writer- Just had the tech look over your car and he noticed your transmission fluid is looking quite dirty at 39k miles, for 175 we can change it for you today and I can have a 2nd tech do it so you'll be out of here in about 10 mins.

Customer- are you sure I need it?

Crooked Service Writer- I wouldnt drive my car like that, you see with the dirty trans fluid, you run the risk of harming your transmission. You see you can either spend 175 today or 4k in 6 months when the transmission goes.

Customer -well I guess

Honda or at least as far as I know isn't into that. At least we weren't allowed to do that. If Honda Says trans fluid is good til 100k, its good til 100k unless its under SEVERE circumstances, etc.

I wouldnt trust chevy, or anyone at autozone.