Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Axles wont fit and you are sure they are the right ones???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axles wont fit and you are sure they are the right ones???

*****MY BAD ...THIS SHOULD BE IN EF - SOMEONE PLEASE MOVE*****

Just posting this for future reference for someone who ends up in the same predicament as me.

Background: Baught a set of axles for my EF, tried to put em in...they wouldnt go in all the way. I asked the store if they were sure those were the right axles...they assured me they were. So I tried a little of convincing with a hammer and I think I managed to break the differential dooing so.

After much swearing and installing another tranny, I checked the axles with another set from antoher company...the set from the other company fit like a glove and was no the same as the ones I had....I complained to the store for selling me the wrong axles. They got me another set of axles which fit in the tranny.....I was happy until I found that they didnt fit the knucles...ends up these axles were definately not the right ones. Complained again...store had no clue what to do....gave me another set of the 1st ones I tried and said maybe the 1st time they were missboxed.

That was BS as the axles looked the same...nevertheless I tried. After some convincing the passenger side axle went in. Great. I tried the driver`s side and it was giving me the exact symptoms as before. Nevertheless, I found the problem ...and I had been given the right axles in the 1st place.

Here is the solution if someone ever needs it:

Symptoms: You got some axles, you are sure they are the right ones, yet they only go partly in the tranny....stay about 1 fingers width from the seal and wont clip in. This can be caused by 2 things:

1. Your C clip is bend out of shape and is too wide.

Solution: Pry it out, compress it with a vice, or other. Re install it...do this until the C clip is tight on the axle.

2 . This comes from improper grooving of the axle...I suspect the groves are pressed into the axle and no cut out. You`ll notice that at the end of the axle, the groves are not as deep as they should be.

Solution: Take out a dremel with a grinding stone, and grind the groves into the end of the axle.

In my case I had a combination of 1 and 2...once I did this, the axle slid in on the 1st shot.

Modified by Jet Black at 5:17 PM 12/3/2003
Old 12-03-2003, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Axles wont fit and you are sure they are the right ones??? (Jet Black)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jet Black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Solution: Take out a dremel with a grinding stone, and grind the groves into the end of the axle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how about no