Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Axle stuck in tranny, this happen to anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle stuck in tranny, this happen to anyone else?

If you dont feel like reading please skip to the last line and help me out.

So I went to take my driver side axle out today to fix a slow drip of fluid from the seal. The axle gave me a little trouble going in as well but NEVER expected what happened today.

I got everything apart in no time and started to try to pry the axle from the tranny...wouldnt budge. Ok maybe its the little 12" pry bar so I get out the 24" one and give it a try and nothing. I tried for an hour and a half to tap on it while I was prying, pry with 2 bars, yanking from the outside, and it would not come out. There was nothing holding this thing in but the ring past the spline in the tranny.

My father had come over and I tried prying ahile he pulled from the outside, tapping and prying while he pulled and nothing. At this point I was already going to swap the brand new axle for another because I hated this one if I got it out so we tried without carring if we tore it up. We wraped a 20,000 lb tow strap to the hub end and tried yanking it of course this ending with the boot coming off and bearings exposed and yep you guessed it axle housing still in the tranny! We then tried putting the tow rope on the housing piece stilll in the tranny and nothing it almost moved on the jack stands but did not budge in the tranny.

Enough rambling, has anyone ever run into this and how can I get the stupid axle out of my transmission???
Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have had this happen a couple times there is a to called a pickle fork looks like a pitch fork you will hammer it between the tranny and axle works every time for me
Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, pickle fork and bigger hammer. you can also try a prybar, little on one side, little on the other till it wiggles out. this is normal btw, the keeper ring inside can be a pain
Old 12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same **** happened to me one time on the driver side driveaxle. But I was trying to get out of a half shaft.

Like 4 different times I put the car on jackstands and tried for several hours, and could never get it out. At the end of one day and trying for almost a week, i broke down and took it to a shop cause I was so pissed I couldn't get it out...
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherEJ
has anyone ever run into this and how can I get the stupid axle out of my transmission???
Yeah, and it was pretty miserable too. I ended up putting a large muffler clamp on the inner joint and bolting a piece of heavy chain to it and bolting the other end of the chain to part of the front suspension, I don't even remember specifically what I bolted it to anymore, it happened a few years ago. Anyway, I pryed on the chain with a bar and got someone else to hit the inner joint with a hammer and it finally came out. Alternatively you could take the other axle out and use a long punch to hammer it out from behind, the only thing you'll probably only be able to do it if its an LSD tranny.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THC07
yes, pickle fork and bigger hammer. you can also try a prybar, little on one side, little on the other till it wiggles out. this is normal btw, the keeper ring inside can be a pain
I thought about the pickle fork but where do you get one that will fit around the spline part of the axle? Or I guess it doesnt matter because by the time the prongs get to there it will be out enough for the ring to be compressed. I have done axles before and they always came out and went in super easy. maybe those were just flukes.

I will try it but highly doubt it will work since we were yanking on it so hard and it wouldnt budge but hopefully it will.

Thanks to everyone for the input