Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Axle question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle question

93' Hatch - Ok, so I researched some old threads and seem to come up with the same info I'd give someone asking me this question. I can't get the passenger axle in the trans. Also, I can't budge the axle nut. I didn't have it off before, I just popped the ball joint to pull it out of the trans. Is there anything thats out of the the ordinary or is this just a standard procedure deal? Is the nut reverse threaded maybe? Is there a trick to getting the axle to click into place? Please help! Thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Axle question (dagimp415)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dagimp415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">93' Hatch - Ok, so I researched some old threads and seem to come up with the same info I'd give someone asking me this question. I can't get the passenger axle in the trans. Also, I can't budge the axle nut. I didn't have it off before, I just popped the ball joint to pull it out of the trans. Is there anything thats out of the the ordinary or is this just a standard procedure deal? Is the nut reverse threaded maybe? Is there a trick to getting the axle to click into place? Please help! Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

it can be a pain sometimes when the axle doesn't want to go into the tranny.
just take a rubber mallad or a hammer and tap it at the base of the outer joint.
make sure you do not hit the outer shaft (where it goes through the spindle) or you will damage the shaft and/or threads and the nut will not go on.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle question (dagimp415)

OOPS... you are supposed to loosen that nut first with a BIG A-- breaker bar. (Before you even jack up the car.)

The nut is not reversed threaded. (lefty loosey....)

Um you can either put the car back together and use a breaker bar or call a friend with a impact wrench.

it takes some work to align the shaft up to place it in the trans.
make sure there are no burrs on the splines and apply a little bit of oil to the splines.

Your first axle job is always fun. it's like a hazing ritual for hondas.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 AM

I've broken one breaker bar so far and the impact was usless. I've done axles plenty of times on several different Honda models. Its just this one thats giving me trouble. The others I have done were all B-series so I aws just curious if there was a trick to the D-series or something unorthadox about them. I guess I'll stick to it with the standard methods. I just bought two new axle nuts b/c I'm about to cut them off!!! Thanks guys
Old 08-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dagimp415)

Rent a big fu*kin impact wrench.