Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Axle Problem with Pictures - Bad Auto Zone Axles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Problem with Pictures - Bad Auto Zone Axles?

****** NEW UPDATE TO END ALL OF THIS MADNESS ***** May 10, 2010 on bottom of page 3.

* UPDATE *

So I know I got bad axles from Autozone. I tried to return them for my money back on both sides. They won't let me. If its a lifetime warranty, then they should be able to return my money. It doesn't make sense at all for me to have to come back and fourth to waste their time and resources on replacing my axles. And the customer service was horrible. I spoke with the store manager and after he tried to state it may be my fault instead, I started going off on him. Now I can't even refund my money back for some crappy axles that I don't want.

To keep it simple, Im using a b16a2 transmission.
My car has been vibrating lately during acceleration. After replacing the axles, I found out that the passenger side axles seem kinda short. Check out these pictures to see what I'm talking about.

Right here, you can see that the new axle is in place

In this picture it shows that I haven't put on the axle nut just yet however, it looks short

Now in order for me to put the axle nut in, I had to pull the axle towards the wheel hub

As you can see the axle nut is in

The lower ball joint is in as well

However, in these pictures it looks like its not right. As though the axles are short

My question is it normal to pull the axle towards the wheel hub in order to put the axle nut on? Maybe this is whats causing my vibration.

Last edited by raidacaipo; 05-10-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle Problem with Pictures

doesnt look normal to me. i have a b16 in my eg coupe and my axle boot isnt stretched or binding in anyway.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem wwith my integra, i had to pull it out to make it fit as in it was too short
Old 05-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just to let you guys know these are temporary autozone axles... I first tried using the 99 civic si axles and then I returned them for integra axles only to find the same problem.. Im gonna guess this is the reason for my car vibrating when I accelerate on 1st, 2nd, to 3rd on low rpms..
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

H2B?

Not normal to have to do this to get the axle nut on. Try to return the axle if you can and compare it to the new one.

EDIT: posted before I saw your last post.

Honda-Tech Member

what car car?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99_EM1
what car car?
97 Civic Cx hatchback

Originally Posted by mcvtec
H2B?

Not normal to have to do this to get the axle nut on. Try to return the axle if you can and compare it to the new one.

EDIT: posted before I saw your last post.

Yes h2b setup with B series motor mounts on QSD kit

Originally Posted by ggDOHC
i have the same problem wwith my integra, i had to pull it out to make it fit as in it was too short
are you getting vibrating problems as well?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2-0 nigggga!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd have to agree also, doesn't look right, but wish you luck on getting it all dandy!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no its not normal, ive always had to jam the wheel hub back onto the axle.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 300whpej
no its not normal, ive always had to jam the wheel hub back onto the axle.
yeah thats what I remembered doing also.. The only thing that could be extending the wheel hub an inch away is the lower fork where you put your ball joint in.

But everything looks normal. Could it be something like the inner/outer tie rods thats being extended or something?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that outer tie rod looks really fresh, did you just replace it before having this axle issue? was it put on the same number of rotations it took to pull it off? if not try leaving the axle relaxed (normal) and see if you can get a thread or 2 to catch from the axle nut. if so hit it with an air/impact gun.

i recall my passenger side axle does have a similar problem, but 220 ft/lbs worth of impact gun takes care of it.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 300whpej
that outer tie rod looks really fresh, did you just replace it before having this axle issue? was it put on the same number of rotations it took to pull it off? if not try leaving the axle relaxed (normal) and see if you can get a thread or 2 to catch from the axle nut. if so hit it with an air/impact gun.

i recall my passenger side axle does have a similar problem, but 220 ft/lbs worth of impact gun takes care of it.
Yes I actually replaced my outer and inner tie rods as well as the boot that holds it. Then I went to get an alignment done. I also replaced the ***** joints and I got a wheel alignment so my suspension setup is really fresh.

Even if I could get a thread to catch when the axle is relaxed, the axle nut is just going to pull the axle towards the wheel hub. Kinda similar to how I had to pull it with my hand in order to put on the axle nut.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look "normal" to me either. Once I have my axles in place in the tranny I usually have to move the hub out and then back down on the axle and then slide it onto the axle, then put the nut on. I don't have an H2B setup though. Still doesn't look normal. Looks like that would put extra stress on the axle joint on the Tranny end making it fail prematurely.

Just my .02. Good luck getting this squared away.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting.. Here's my hypothesis. I think if I'm able to pull the lower control arm more into the lower ball joint that might pull the wheel hub a little closer. It does look kinda odd wouldn't you agree? Like too much gap between the lower ball joint?

^^^ that shinny part you see on the ball joint is like a spacer. It won't let me go up any higher possibly to protect the boot from smashing against the lower control arm when I tighten it. Maybe If I replace the ball joint? its brand new
Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to the store and look at all the different B series axles and compare....find one that's a bit longer then the one u have installed...........
Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never seen the spacer looking thing, my lca sits as flush as i could get it with the ball joint.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
I have never seen the spacer looking thing, my lca sits as flush as i could get it with the ball joint.
yeah.. same with my old ball joint. If I think about it, the problems started after I installed that new lower ball joint.. I have an extra one so I think Im going to have a look at it tomorrow and see if I need to replace it.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well for 1 your lower ball joint is loose i would make the axle short...and i bought a couple axles from auto zone napa etc and i got some bad ones that were brand new...Bent cut to short etc...but ya if thats not problem...The driver and passenger side axle hubs that go into tranny is different...The driver side got splines all the way up to lip so can go all the way into half shaft& passenger side has half splines so it stops the axle...so u might have a driver axle in pass?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Trial User

I would compare with the old one come out of the car 1st, if it is shorter then prolem solve. However, did u do anything to the driver side?? If so, what did u do??
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazy mai-tai
I would compare with the old one come out of the car 1st, if it is shorter then prolem solve. However, did u do anything to the driver side?? If so, what did u do??
I don't have the original. I didn't do anything to the driver side. Everything seems fine. Ever since I replaced the lower ball joint for the passenger side, I realized that the axle was busted too and need to be replaced so I got an axle at autozone and changed everything in one day. Im gonna guess its the lower ball joint. As indicated in the picture above, I think the LCA needs to be pulled up higher to the lower ball joint. This will close the gap and give me an inch of clearance for the axle nut to go in without having to pull the axle out.

Originally Posted by SlaminSohCivic
Well for 1 your lower ball joint is loose i would make the axle short...and i bought a couple axles from auto zone napa etc and i got some bad ones that were brand new...Bent cut to short etc...but ya if thats not problem...The driver and passenger side axle hubs that go into tranny is different...The driver side got splines all the way up to lip so can go all the way into half shaft& passenger side has half splines so it stops the axle...so u might have a driver axle in pass?
No theres no way I can mix it up. I dont even think a passenger axle will fit in the driver side axle. As for the axles being bad at autozone, I dont think thats the problem either. I even made the worker at autozone compare axle lengths for me and they are the same.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^~~~~post *****
Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ERm if your cars shaking just reg driving you need new rotors. your axle looks fine try rotors.
if thats not the case then take the axle back get a completely different one and compare them get one slightly longer than the other one bro.
haha axles worse part of a honda.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Getownit
ERm if your cars shaking just reg driving you need new rotors. your axle looks fine try rotors.
if thats not the case then take the axle back get a completely different one and compare them get one slightly longer than the other one bro.
haha axles worse part of a honda.
hrmm.. maybe it is the rotors? I also noticed it shaking when I brake.. Maybe I need a resurface? or just new rotors. Thanks for the insight
Old 05-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump in the midnoon for yah matey.. argg!

Quick Reply: Axle Problem with Pictures - Bad Auto Zone Axles?