Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Axle Popped half out, now wont come out of trans???? 6ft prybar..nothing help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Popped half out, now wont come out of trans???? 6ft prybar..nothing help ASAP!!

tryin here too thanks guys...

Ok i just installed an obx lsd and put the axles in,.. but i took the clips off the axles because i was having a hard time getting them in. Well i drive about 3 miles takin it pretty easy cause i have to break the clutch in. Well the axle popped out and i got it towed home and now i used everything from a 2ft-6ft prybar, WONT BUDGE a bit, I even took the right axle out and for a punch and try banging it out through the hole in the diff?... bottom line it wont come the **** out!

can anyone please help me... hopefully the diff isnt messed up.

this a a 91 civic d series btw. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 AM

caught on the diff- did you hear any grinding or a clank before it popped out- try pushing it back in turning it then removing it - take some pics !
Old 03-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle Popped half out, now wont come out of trans???? 6ft prybar..nothing help ASAP!! (shaun311)

did you try jiggling it back and forth while lightly prying? I know to get my dss axles out that is what I have to do. Otherwise it will not budge
Old 03-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Axle Popped half out, now wont come out of trans???? 6ft prybar..nothing help ASAP!! (underpress

So you had an issue getting the axles in, so you removed the clips? Think that perhaps you had some issues from the get go and since you half assed it by removing the clips to force the axles in you caused an even bigger problem?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its a real lsd. pop the other axle out and bang it out from the other side
Old 03-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (a_kaibigan)

tried bangin it in and banging it out... no luck at all... wtf bump
Old 03-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle Popped half out, now wont come out of trans???? 6ft prybar..nothing help ASAP!! (shaun311)

bump, took out the trans and took it back apart still wont budge i am about to drop if off somewhere
Old 04-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just spoke to someone tonight that had the same problem as you. He needed to take the tranny out and use a hydrolic press to get the axle back out. He said it then destroyed his axle.

What he thinks is happening is the way the obx dif is made. Once the c clip goes in it expands and will not close back up when you try and pull the axle out.

Almost like instead of it being coned shaped it is like a square. Kind of hard to explain
Old 04-28-2005, 04:14 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Axle Popped half out, now wont come out of trans???? 6ft prybar..nothing help ASAP!! (underpress

Its your fault for not having the clips in there. They are the only thing that holds the axle in place so it could have been popping in and out and you proly had like a quarter of the spine in and it twisted the **** out of it now its stuck.
Pics will tell us what happened.

Axles can be a pain to install sometimes but you MUST have the clip installed.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once the c clip goes in it expands and will not close back up when you try and pull the axle out.

Almost like instead of it being coned shaped it is like a square. Kind of hard to explain</TD></TR></TABLE>
This makes since but does not apply to this guys problem at all.
Also, when Earl did the comparison to the Quaif he did not say anything about that area of the OBX diff being any different than the Quaif diff. Not saying that I know for sure there the same but I would put my money on the diffs looking exactly the same in the c-clip "coned" area.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:29 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were "square" than NO ONE would be getting their axles out.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem where the shop I had my Quaife installed at, tried putting the axle back in and it wouldn't go in (driver's side). The mechanic then banged the axle with a hammer for like 20min. until it went in. I was pissed. He said one of the splines probably wasn't lined up. WTF? Isn't that his fault? So instead of opening it up again and fixing it he hammers it to death probably breaking or bending a spline.
How the hek am I supposed to take this axle off now if I need to? He banged the **** out of it. Not only that, the front left wheel is further in (towards the motor) than the right side! I think that's because he was also hammering the hub to push the axle further into the differentia. I 'm going to have a mess in my hands too next time I need to get the tranny or the axle off the car.