Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

axle mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle mystery

hey guys im new to this forum not really new to hondas but im stumped right now. i got a 93 civic coupe with a 95 b18b swap s80 tranny blah blah. anyways the passanger side axle works fine but the driver side axle is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches too short and ive checked everywhere and cant find the right one. the one i have is from a 94-01 integra. does anyone know which one i need? maybee there is a longer half shaft i need or somthing?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: axle mystery

can anyone here help me?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as i know regular teggy axles should work just fine

90-93 integra axles, 94 up integra axles,94-97 del sol vtec axles,or 99-00 civic si axles should all work
Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you post pics? did you replace it? the 94-01 axle should work
Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah ill post pics tomorrow. what do u want pics of the axle? the half shaft goes into the axle if that helps. i thought i got the right one today but the ends were wrong. when you do the swap do you need special mounts to make everything line up? i got the car with the swap already in it but was all apart cuz he didnt know how to put it back to gether. anyways he said he put in a new axle and did one pull and snaped it. well it wasnt snaped it came apart and ripped the boot cuz its too short. hes a dumb ***
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT use DA axles or halfshafts. I bet thats what he used.
Any integra LS axle 94-01 will work. GSR too but only passenger.
Unless you have a gsr halfshaft then u can use it on the driver too.
Or he may have gotten an auto halfshaft?? they are shorter than manual.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ1_CRIS_909
DO NOT use DA axles or halfshafts. I bet thats what he used.
Any integra LS axle 94-01 will work. GSR too but only passenger.
Unless you have a gsr halfshaft then u can use it on the driver too.
Or he may have gotten an auto halfshaft?? they are shorter than manual.
DA axles work fine, but you need the use the matching halfshaft and axle seal on the driver's side, all '90 - '01 passenger's side B-series axles are the same. RS/LS/GS/RS-R/ITR axles are all the same other than ABS vs non-ABS (except JDM '98+ ITR)
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or you can use B16 delsol axles and halfshaft or 94-01 integra's I'm not sure if 99-00 civic will work correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm i guess i was wrong... I was just always told never use DA parts in a swap unless its an ef...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, how do you tell if the half shaft is from an auto or a manual?
EJ1_CRIS_909 u said if i use a gsr half shaft i can use the passanger side so the gsr half shaft is female end? and do you know if it is the same size or longer? cuz i found one axle that was almost 2 inches longer but it was male splines on both ends.
and also i was looking at the tires and if you measure from the shock mount to the end of my tire my driver side is like almost an inch differance from the passanger side. ***** bent maybee? im still looking for my camera cord so i can post a pic of the difference thanks for the help guys
Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The best thing to do is to measure it up to a manual halfshaft and see if its the same or not.
The passenger side, Any axle fits.
But If u have a gsr halfshaft, it has two male ends. And the driver axle has one male and one female.
Ya try and post pics so we can figure out exactly what ur talkin bout.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright sorry i still cant find my camera cord and now my camera died and i cant find the charger.fml. anyways i measured my half shaft and i measured one from my 94 rs automatic and they are the same size. so can anyone else confirm that the manual and auto half shafts are actually different sizes? thanks
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way if they are the same size, my half shaft has two male ends so is there one with a female end for the driver axle?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mavvrik

90-93 integra axles, 94 up integra axles,94-97 del sol vtec axles,or 99-00 civic si axles should all work
Have to use the 90-93 intermediate (half) shaft with those.

Originally Posted by EJ1_CRIS_909
Hmm i guess i was wrong... I was just always told never use DA parts in a swap unless its an ef...
My EH2 has them. You have to use the DA trans seal like 94EG8 said.

Originally Posted by dopehouse
by the way if they are the same size, my half shaft has two male ends so is there one with a female end for the driver axle?
Why do you want to know that?

The DA half shaft is female on the axle end.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mavvrik

Have to use the 90-93 intermediate (half) shaft with those.
so if i use a 90-93 half shaft it will work? i have 94-01 axles. is the90-93 shaft longer?

Why do you want to know that?

The DA half shaft is female on the axle end.
just wondering cuz the setup i have now is like two inches to short and i found an axle that is about two inches longer but its male on both ends and so is my half shaft
Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone? ive been trying to get this car running for like two weeks now and cant find the answer. if anyone knows if the manual half shaft is longer or if i need to use the da half shaft like somone said and what do i need to use it? thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Seagull Management

The manual halfshaft is different, not sure if it's longer or not, but it's different.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

different like how though? if the splines are different then i got a manual one cuz my half shaft is in the tranny right now. if its the same size then what do i need to use the da half shaft and does anyone know how many splines it has on the female end?ALL I NEED IS TWO INCHES
Old 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Resident Gearhead

I just don't see how a DA half shaft and axle is the best solution. You'll have to get the shaft, and an axle and the seal remove what you have now and reinstall the new stuff.
Getting incorrect length axles is apparently common. I really think that is the issue.

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The manual halfshaft is different, not sure if it's longer or not, but it's different.
Originally Posted by dopehouse
different like how though?

Here is some pics talk about the difference between auto and manual half shafts and axles.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...2680462&page=2

Originally Posted by gabebauman
So last night my friend Court came over to lend me a hand on the hatch dilemma.
I pulled the intermediate shaft and cv shaft off the car.
We studied both new and old intermediate shafts side by side and could not find any differences in the two, (again...thanks for letting me borrow one Sean).

I marked the loaner shaft with blue tape so there was no way to mix them up.

At first glance, they look identical.

So I proceeded to install it onto the engine/transmission. The shaft slid into the diff fine but when I rotated the bracket end up to mount up to the block...it wouldn't go all the way up against the block. OH GREAT! Now I'm like...hmmm...ok...pull it back out and Court and I proceed to examine the two intermediate shafts a little bit closer this time.

Well what'll-ya-know...they are indeed different. (check out the bracket)

Loaner shaft on the left, shaft that came off my car on the right.

5spd intermediate shaft = Part # 44500-SR3-J01

Automatic intermediate shaft = Part# 44500-SR3-J81

So now that we have that fancy intermediate shaft info out of the way. Let's move on to the real issue at hand. Obviously...this leads us back to the axles.

Exhibit A - (AutoZone Duralast Driverside 94-01 Integra GSR CV Shaft)

Inside the female end...it was infact locking in properly with the c-clip on the intermediate shaft and there were no signs of destruction.

Court and I begin to lazer-vision the two axles.

The two outer CV joints are the same length...they have a bit different shape on the ends...but we inserted them into both into the back of the hub and the spline shaft stuck out the exact same distance so that was fine.

Next we move over to the outer CV joints..."Look at this!" Court exclaims. Maybe this is your problem.

You see it?

Well...let's just check this for accuracy. Original axle on the bottom.

Close...but no cigar. AutoZone GSR axle on the top.

Ok...I'm kind of excited at this point...this just may be it. Since you're here Court. Want to help me throw these Ex knuckles/brakes back on my car so I can throw these poor excuses for stopping of Cx front brakes in the gutter? Sure...let's do this.

Now it's Thursday morning. After an amazing time at my 8am dentist appointment, (6th month cleaning - no cavities - yay!) I zip over to the local Napa Auto Parts store on Douglas to see if they have an axle that will work for me. Two days prior...I had Dustin pull a 94-01 Integra LS driver side CV shaft off the shelf and set aside for me just in case it indeed was the axle that was the problem. Sure enough...both of my mismatched length axles in hand...I examine the LS CV shaft and compare it to mine. We have a match!

AutoZone 94-01 GSR top and AutoZone 94-01 LS bottom.

Look closely. Remember how my old axle was shorter than the AutoZone axle? Looks like this Napa one may be a winner!

So, if you managed to read/skim thru the above babble...you'll see that I may have come to a conclusion with this five month ordeal. Of course...I'm still at the office and haven't had time to actually install the Napa axle yet...but I will definitely update you all when I do get around to it later tonight.

I can't believe that I never caught this. Neither did Cottman.

Thank You & God Bless.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i ordered a gsr axle today maybee that will work. my axle is the same size as the new ones that gabebauman had on the bottom of the pics. and i def have a manual halfshaft. if this doesnt work i know i guy that will lengthen the axle for me an inch in a half or whatever and that will get me by till i get a new body i guess fml haha
Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 AM
Resident Gearhead

Please, whatever happens, come back and post the solution to your problem. You'll figure it out, not to many things it could be.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i did try the gsr axle and it was a little bit longer but it was still stretched to the max. im gonna go look into gettin it welded tomorrow or the next. i dont know what it could be if anything is bent. any ideas?nothing looks bent but i cant tell for sure. all i know is the passenger side tire is inside the fender and my driver is a little outside the fender.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bent subframe. Car ever been in a bad accident? You might wanna take it to a shop and have them take the frame measurements to make sure it not twisted. I've seen this a couple times at work. Ever had problems getting it 100% properly aligned?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its been a while since i posted on here but i think the frame is bent. i havent been able to drive it because i was building the motor up ls-t, and im still waiting for the engine management. but anyways i went threw every single honda/acura axle and nothing comes close. frame has to be bent and im just gonna find a new body. thanks for the help fellas(way late thanks haha)
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Seagull Management

The only other thing I can think of is the car was previously an automatic and someone didn't use an auto to manual swap mount or cut the automatic pocket mount off the frame rail and weld on the manual version. Normally it causes issues with the passenger's side axle more so than the driver's side though.

Quick Reply: axle mystery