Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

axle length issues; trans noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle length issues; trans noise?

hello HT, ive been fixing my car as i drive it and after putting in a new steering rack and both axles i took it in for an alignment. while on the rack they showed me the half shafts were pulling out of the trans and spilling gear oil all over the place. i got in to drive it home and got a terrible grinding noise upon sharp turns. i limped it home, put it back on the stands, and slammed them back in with a rag-covered inner tie rod tool and a hammer. i then filled with some 10w30 and drove it. i haven't checked the level but they look like they're both still in where they should be. however the horrible grinding noise is still going on during hard right turns.

did i mar some gears in the trans? should i lift and re check after checking the fluid level?(tomorrow morning) not only is it grinding though, it sort of binds up as well. it'll stop the car if going slow enough and turning sharp enough. i ordered the d15 axles from rockauto, corresponding to my motor which i assume has the stock trans, the ones with the hearts; for 45 dollars a pop.

car is a 95 hatch with the d15b7
Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Re: axle length issues; trans noise?

First of all, you don't need any tools to insert the axles back into the transmission. Manual power should do the trick just as long as the spline meets up with the tranny. Don't ever force them in or you will have issues. Axles aren't as expensive as a transmission. Sounds to me the axles were installed incorrectly the first time. That's why they popped out.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no they were in correctly; c-clip popped and everything. and i only had to pop them back in with tools because everything was still installed. i rotated them before hand to make sure the splines were still where they should be and then used the tools to pop them back over the c-clips from a manageable location which was near the wheel instead of trying to muscle them in laying on my back as a quick alternative to pulling everything apart again
Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no ones had noise like this? after half shafts at full lock? i'm going to get my brother to run it on some jack stands for me and turn full lock so i can see where exactly its coming from, hes gotta find the time though and our schedules don't really correspond