Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Autozone rads question. Please look inside if you use one or know someone who has

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autozone rads question. /RESOLVED

car: 94 civic ex coupe d16z6, daily driving spirited driving daily.

tried searching and could not find a clear answer. Well, I need to replace my rad cuz of a leak. I wanted to know if the autozone rads are any good. After rifling thru the threads I have gathered some pros and cons. But wanted to get everyones opinion on this.

All alum rad(mishimoto,goodspeed ebay) I hear they are heavier,thicker so take up more space, and really doent offer that much of a cooling performce over stock.

Autozone rad - lighter, thinner, lifetime warranty. autozones are everywhere. cheaper

Last edited by driveslow; 04-08-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Autozone rads question. Please look inside if you use one or know someone who ha

I have an autozone radiator on mine now and it does great! i have had no problems at all with it.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Autozone rads question. Please look inside if you use one or know someone who ha

cool, so far thats one vote for the autozone one.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a daily, and not turbo'd or anything that would necessitate needed more cooling capacity, I can't imagine why an Autozone would underperform as compared to OEM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by driveslow
car: 94 civic ex coupe d16z6, daily driving spirited driving daily.

tried searching and could not find a clear answer. Well, I need to replace my rad cuz of a leak. I wanted to know if the autozone rads are any good. After rifling thru the threads I have gathered some pros and cons. But wanted to get everyones opinion on this.

All alum rad(mishimoto,goodspeed ebay) I hear they are heavier,thicker so take up more space, and really doent offer that much of a cooling performce over stock.

Autozone rad - lighter, thinner, lifetime warranty. autozones are everywhere. cheaper
i use the autozone $89 one, no problems what so ever and fit perfectly.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Napa one I think it cost me 60, works fine.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The autozone one should be fine.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

www.rockauto.com

I would also recommend a 94-95 DelSol Vtec radiator for Eg's. They are a perfect swap and they are dual core radiators. Many people with boosted B18's run these with no issues. It costs about the same as the stock replacement with much better cooling. Rockauto is also an awesome place. I can typically buy and pay to ship from them cheaper then Autozone or Advance, and I even get a 10% discount at Advance.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by driveslow
They are not that much heavier than a stock radiator. Maybe a pound or two, but that's it. Aluminum is a fairly light metal. The reason they are thicker is because they are dual core. But the additional thickness is very minor; it's only about an inch thicker.

If you have a lightly modified DD, you won't notice a difference in cooling. You're probably better off with a autozone rad if you are looking to save money.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought an ebay one for about $45 for my ej8 which worked fine until i totally it a year later. I doubt cooling is any difference between oem/oem replica. I would say longevity would be the thing to be concerned with here and therefore I would have to trust Autozone over ebay because they have a name to protect.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM

so far all of the autozone parts I have used have been great (knock on wood). so far no known issues with autozone rads, thats good news.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had an Autozone radiator and it works fine too, even when my car overheated because of a leaky headgasket it still performed well. Now that the headgasket was replaced I have had no overheating issues whatsoever, even in summer using the AC.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A rad is one of those things that just doesn't really concern me. There are no moving parts, no electronics, basically all you have to worry about is corrosion resistance and making sure it doesn't leak where the core meets the tanks. Remember that stock D-series rads work just fine for a B-series swap, so no I wouldn't be at all worried about running an Autozone D-series rad with a stock D-series.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 AM

just picked one up and installed it. 1 question. I noticed it was double the thickness. Does this mean its dual core?