Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

autozone break pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autozone break pads

my daily driver is starting to squeak...

are autozone break pads fine? dont need anything special

also when you change out your pads do you need to do anything to the rotor? like re-surface it or anything?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: autozone break pads (wsop)

me i don't use autozone anything. don't like them. i would got to honda and get the pads from them not much of a price diff. you may want to think about resurfacing the rotors if they are really old or have deep channels in the rotor. pads work best when making contact to a flat surface.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:52 AM

Any aftermarket supplier of brake pads are fairly comparable to each other so.. depending on how cheap of pads you want? Rotors definently get them turned(if possible) or replace if needed.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: autozone break pads (HitEm'Up)

there is much of a price difference. autozone brake pads go from like 20-40 and the dealer will take you for like 60+. plus rotors should always be turned when doing brakes, also get the disk brake quiet and some caliper pin grease. do it right the first time and you will be happy you did.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: autozone break pads (built562)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by built562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plus rotors should always be turned when doing </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually rotors don't always have to be turned. Although its wise to do so and you can't really go wrong with that, GM shop manuals for years and years have said not to turn the rotors unless deemed nessasary. This is because even with mild grooves (fairly smooth) the pads will wear to fit very quickly and work just as well. Of course if they are glazed or have deep grooves you should replace/turn the rotors.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Autozone brake pads =

There's a oil substance (I can think of the name) that keeps brake dust down and keeps them from squeaking (as much).
Old 07-12-2005, 06:37 AM
Electrician

I've been running on $30 AutoZone pads for the past year. No squeaks, no problems.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the $11 lifetime replacement pads no problem,
Old 07-12-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsleepercivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got the $11 lifetime replacement pads no problem, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, hell yeah thats what im rockin.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 AM

well i think you should go for it. And go get Ceramic Pads, only $40 from $25. Not much of a difference, I have drilled, slotted rotors (brembo) with Ceramic Pads from Auto Zone. 2 yrs, no dust, no problem, nowear what so ever! And if you have blank rotrs (which you probably do) resurface and turn, just dont do one or the other! Remember brakes saves lives, without'em your gonna be another road kill
Old 07-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: autozone break pads (*****est_raver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been running on $30 AutoZone pads for the past year. No squeaks, no problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

works fine for me too
Old 07-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: (93_eghatch)

I thinktone of the main things with brake pads is to break them in properly, when I turn my rotors and get new pads I drive really easy for the first 300 mi or so. about a month after I put them on they work great with no noise, I dunno just my to $.02
Old 07-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsleepercivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thinktone of the main things with brake pads is to break them in properly, when I turn my rotors and get new pads I drive really easy for the first 300 mi or so. about a month after I put them on they work great with no noise, I dunno just my to $.02</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is key. i dont think many people know that you need to break in brakes. the best way is to do a series of accelerating and slowing down with outa complete stop. go 40mph, brake firmly to about 5 mph but do not stop, do this about 10 times and then go easy on them for the first few hundred miles and they will not sqeak and wear evenly
Old 07-12-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (built562)

from my experience, you want the best pad you can afford for your type of driving/use as opposed to rotors, which I buy from the cheapest source.

I use axxis ultimates in all my cars... for the civic, it runs about $30-40 for a set of front pads. Turning rotors is not such a great idea and if you think your rotors are in bad enough condition to turn, replace them instead with ones from autozone, etc.

Don't forget to flush the brake system with a good quality fluid. I use Valvoline Super Syn for street applications.

BTW, squeaky brakes could just mean that they are dirty... when's the last time you cleaned washed out your brakes?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Definitely get the ceramic pads, especially if you have wheels.

My HX wheels were filthy, even between my weekly car washes. They keep the dust level way down.

The only problem with ceramics is that they're harder (i think) and will wear down your rotors faster than a softer pad.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to look at what material they are made out of. I don't know which one is good (I think it was carbon-metalic). Usually the one that is most expensive at autozone will not sqeak.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:58 PM

Just go with the economy stuff unless you plan to race the car or something.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: autozone break pads (HappyCamper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Definitely get the ceramic pads, especially if you have wheels.
My HX wheels were filthy, even between my weekly car washes. They keep the dust level way down.

The only problem with ceramics is that they're harder (i think) and will wear down your rotors faster than a softer pad. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well i have had mine on for 2 yrs, no wear on my rotors at all! so i am not sure but i think the soft ones are worse on your rotors! my civic had stock rotors before with the soft stuff from suto zone and it ate my rotor. well i had alot of grooves in them (too much to be exact), but still ran fine. I would suggest you to go out and get drilled slotted rotors and slap on some ceramin pads. East installation process!! took me 1 hr to do!!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 AM
* B A N N E D *

Friends of mine used to have a contract with Autozone, they manufactured transmission fluid filters for Autozone.

But now basically the Autozone brand = Made in China
Aiding the decline of manufacturing in the United States even more
Old 07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

certainly nothing wrong with them, but if you're going to be doing any sort of spirited driving they aren't going to hold up. i'd recommend an axxis ultimate as a good bang for your buck.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mike C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">certainly nothing wrong with them, but if you're going to be doing any sort of spirited driving they aren't going to hold up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I echo that statement. In the meantime, My local Pep Boys carries Hawk, And Ebc pads at very competitive prices. I'm a long time Hawk pad user, and had to have my pads shipped to me, now i just have to drive 2 miles to get them. Just an option you could check out. Hawk= long life, and great stopping power.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iggyracer)

I was thinking of that. Autozone now carries Hawk. I've heard good stuff about them.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:43 PM

i have autozone pads.. there fine
Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bendix/honeywell brake pads for 25 bucks at a local shop

honeywell is the same company that makes oem oil filters for honda
Old 07-14-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: (lazie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honeywell is the same company that makes oem oil filters for honda</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep... honeywell=fram

Quick Reply: autozone break pads