Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Automatic VS Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic VS Manual

How is it that a car with a manual transmission can be so much faster than an automatic, even if they are the same car?

and btw, how much $$ are we looking at to do a auto to manual swap on a 2000 civic dx? I'm looking for a little more fun out of my car, and I think this might be a easy solution.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1500 bucks for an auto to manual convert w/ used parts, use the search in the future.

And a manual is faster becuase it has more gears, you can shift fastrer, and rev higher.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Atheist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Atheist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And a manual is faster becuase it has more gears, you can shift fastrer, and rev higher.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is all true, and in addition to that, a manual transmission takes less power to run, so more power actually makes it to the wheels.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (okman16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by okman16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is it that a car with a manual transmission can be so much faster than an automatic, even if they are the same car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Manuals arn't always faster. In a RWD car with a good auto trans, especially a turbo car, will beat the living snot out of a car with a stick launching off the brake and a 2-step. On a 5/6-speed car you can only run a 2-step or anti-lag, both of which arn't nearly as effective as the brake + 2-step.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (boosted92)

Why auto's are slower:

1. It has a torque converter, and loses more power to the wheels than a manual
Manual Tranny: 15% loss of power to the wheels (roughly)
Auto Tranny: 20% loss of power to the wheels (roughly)

2. Auto's shift slower than we do (usually, with the exception of AMG Speedshift, BMW SMG, 300ZX / supra turbo auto's, stuff like that)

3. Auto's usually shift before redline...I drove a 95 EX auto and it was shifting at 6,600 RPM...redline was 7,200 RPM

4. Usually 4 speed compared to a manual 5 speed...longer gears = slower acceleration
Old 10-02-2003, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (BauleyCivic)

Also, if you are racing the car in a situation where you actually take corners, a manual is a must. An automatic will not allow the driver to revmatch while downshifting as you slow the car down for a corner. Also you cant hold a gear a little longer (if you are on a straight approaching a corner and approaching redline with only a few seconds left before you must begin braking, you can hold the gear past the red line whereas an automatic will not allow you to do so. This are race situations where a tenth of a second can count.

Im not sure you are going to be pushing your car to the limit like that (i know im not) but the manual allows you to launch the car better. (im going with stock 98 Civic auto vs manual here). The Automatic launches like VERY slugishly. The car has no power down low, and with out being able to launch from high RPMs the car bogs down. The civic auto will also shift before redline, robbing you of power. The shifts are slower and the gears are taller in the auto tranny which also slow the car down greatly. The automatic tranny will lose even to a manual tranny equipped car w/ less HP. Our family owns both a 98 Civic EX auto (127hp) and my car a 98 DX manual (106hp). The manual equipped car, even with 20 lee horse power and the relatively tall gears for a manual tranny will smoke the EX. Off the line, and throughout any reasonable lenth race (to say 80).

Not only supieror in a straight line, the manual improves the cars speed through the corners. When exiting a corner, you can smothly accellerate using clutch/throttle modulation, where as the shift in the automatic is VERY harsh causing the car to break traction (understeer in this case) when cornering at/near the cornering limit.

Go with the manual tranny out of a Civic EX, it has the shortest gear ratios! you will be impressed! Rick
Old 10-02-2003, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (RickChew)

They make automatic trannys shift slower because the slower the shift the smoother it is. But theres always ways around it. Like get a shift kit. Or a lockup torque converter. Dont know if they're available for hondas though.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (RickChew)

Yeah...basically Rick reiterated what I said and added some stuff about manuals being better for racing as well as on the street
Old 10-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (BauleyCivic)

don't forget better mpg!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Ekay

Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (Sketch_hs)

no way in hell a human can shift faster than an auto tranny
Old 10-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (AutoEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no way in hell a human can shift faster than an auto tranny </TD></TR></TABLE>

true yes..but you know you want a 5 speed..we all know
Old 10-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Ekay

Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (WongFeihung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WongFeihung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

true yes..but you know you want a 5 speed..we all know </TD></TR></TABLE>

i 0wnz j00 in m4d traff1c y0!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (AutoEK)

i 0wnz j00 in m4d traff1c y0![/QUOTE]

puahah!!
Old 10-03-2003, 01:16 AM

if your gonna get a manual tranny swap, u might as well get the whole engine swap...its very much worth it since u have a dx....all the tranny parts are already bolted together and mainly you'll just have to go to a junkyard and get a pedal assembly from a manual car and master and slave cylinder...a couple odds and ends too but a swap with everything together would be best, especially if your gonna be spending some good money and gonna be witout a car for awhile, make it worth it...
Old 10-07-2003, 05:50 PM

Default Re: (hondatool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondatool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your gonna get a manual tranny swap, u might as well get the whole engine swap...its very much worth it since u have a dx....all the tranny parts are already bolted together and mainly you'll just have to go to a junkyard and get a pedal assembly from a manual car and master and slave cylinder...a couple odds and ends too but a swap with everything together would be best, especially if your gonna be spending some good money and gonna be witout a car for awhile, make it worth it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much do you think it is to stick a 200hp rsx type s engine w/ a manual in there? or a 160hp si engine w/ manual?

keep in mind it would not be installed by me, i suck at teh cars.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:45 PM

anyone?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:48 PM

Default Re: (okman16)

perfect timimg for this thread &gt; i am looking at buying a 95 civic dx with a blown auto tranny. if I want to do a swap from auto to manual:

1. how much will it cost with used parts
2. what parts do I need for the conversion
3. what is the best place for me to go for them
Old 10-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integra dave)

im in the process of doing the auto to manual swap right now...i have all the parts so far minus the clutch and brake pedal and all ive spent so far is 255$ and i found the pedals for 40 so that will bring my total to about $300
Old 10-07-2003, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (midorigreen)

how about the answer to my questions #2
Old 10-07-2003, 06:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by midorigreen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im in the process of doing the auto to manual swap right now...i have all the parts so far minus the clutch and brake pedal and all ive spent so far is 255$ and i found the pedals for 40 so that will bring my total to about $300 </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not very expensive at all,

why did the other guy say its $1500 ?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (okman16)

it all depends on how good of a deal you can get your parts for..a friend of my is hooking me up with a few parts for free so i saved a little bit

tranny
clutch
flywheel
flywheel manual bolts
clutch master clyinder
slave clyinder
clutch hardlines
clutch pedal
brake pedal
shift linkage
shifter
ecu
shift ****
those would be the main things

and on a 92-95 civic you will have to reweld on a rear tranny mount but on a 96-00 your all set..
Old 10-07-2003, 07:02 PM

weld it on? **** it its probably better to just ge the auto huh?
this is basically just gonna be a winter beater
Old 10-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integra dave)

1 benafit to auto's
if you have a boosted auto you dont need to worry about spool time for all the gears cuz your throddle is always open
i still perfer manual though
Old 10-13-2003, 04:37 AM

Default Re: (mist Si)

is it safe for me to assume that all I need to do the auto tranny swap is the tranny itself or are there other parts involved in that swap too?
Old 10-13-2003, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Automatic VS Manual (okman16)

how come noone has mentioned that the auto tranny is a smackload heavier than an manual tranny yet?

Quick Reply: Automatic VS Manual