Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Automatic Vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Vs. Manual

Well Im new to Hondas. After rolling my blazer, im now forced to get a little car. Plus they will be better on gas

My question is, Is a Manual faster than a Auto? Im guessing it is, but what kind of preformance hit am I going to take If i get a auto?

I perfer a manual, but there's a nice auto Civic sitting down at a local car lot, and its tempting. Guess im just getting impatent on getting a new ride.

Thank You everyone!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:16 PM

Im never going back to auto. Manual ftw do it
Old 05-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Vs. Manual (shellshock)

A lot of people are prolly gonna tell you to wait and get a manual cause they are better on gas + performance. You could get the Auto if you like but they are not as good as the Manual. You could always do a auto to manual swap by searching for the parts in the Honda Marketplace for sale forum. Hope I helped!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Automatic Vs. Manual (madcrossover)

Actually, autos are better for gas mileage if you do a lot of Hwy driving, as the revs are kept lower at speed.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually I'm fairly sure that a 5 speed would be better than a 4-speed auto. Why? If you have 5 gears as opposed to 4, you most likely will be at a lower gear ratio at any given speed.

Depends on the gear ratios.

To answer your question though, get a manual. It's more fun, easier to fix, more reliable, better on gas (in most cases), and isn't lame like auto
Old 05-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Vs. Manual (shellshock)

Go with a manual. You can see here where this poor guy was attacked for wanting an auto, haha. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1620313
Old 05-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jorsher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jorsher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually I'm fairly sure that a 5 speed would be better than a 4-speed auto. Why? If you have 5 gears as opposed to 4, you most likely will be at a lower gear ratio at any given speed.

Depends on the gear ratios.

To answer your question though, get a manual. It's more fun, easier to fix, more reliable, better on gas (in most cases), and isn't lame like auto </TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, no.

Usually, the more gears you have, the closer they are together (in regards to ratio). 4 speed automatics have longer gears. Longer gears = lower revs = wallet friendly when used mainly on the hwy.

Btw, Honda has a tendency to use shorter gearing on cars equipped with VTEC.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't live in a trafficful environment, or don't mind shifting a lot in traffic, get the manual. If you hate shifting a lot, don't mind the minor loss in power and lack of control, get the automatic.

Can't drive manual yet so I'm stuck
Old 05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (jtchinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtchinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you don't live in a trafficful environment, or don't mind shifting a lot in traffic, get the manual. If you hate shifting a lot, don't mind the minor loss in power and lack of control, get the automatic.

Can't drive manual yet so I'm stuck </TD></TR></TABLE>

what's the big deal with traffic? I do it everyday, after work up, uphill.. it's pretty simple don't even need your hand on the shifter just use your feet keep it in first, hold clutch and gas, when you need to move beacuse no need to release clutch all the way since you will be slowing down in 5 seconds
Old 05-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G2 Speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what's the big deal with traffic? I do it everyday, after work up, uphill.. it's pretty simple don't even need your hand on the shifter just use your feet keep it in first, hold clutch and gas, when you need to move beacuse no need to release clutch all the way since you will be slowing down in 5 seconds</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all preference. I'm not hating on the shifting, I'll find out when I learn stick if I mind or not. I know some people who don't care just because stick is that much fun and they love controlling their car, then some who loathe and hate stick and will never go back because they hate shifting. And your explanation makes it seem more complicated.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (t0p_sh0tta)

like I said, depends on the gearing. Some 5spd trannies will give you better mileage at certain speeds than certain auto trannies will, depends on gearing and speed.

And it depends on the car as to what the gearing is like, there's vtec engines with "economy" gearing and those with "performance" gearing.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (jtchinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtchinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's all preference. I'm not hating on the shifting, I'll find out when I learn stick if I mind or not. I know some people who don't care just because stick is that much fun and they love controlling their car, then some who loathe and hate stick and will never go back because they hate shifting. And your explanation makes it seem more complicated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course learning it isn't the easiest thing and honda trannies to learn on aren't the greatest, but once you get the hang of it no big deal... the first week, if you are in traffic your left leg will be dead tired lol

Seriously, Manual is the way to go