Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Automatic Type R

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Type R

Ok, here's the problem (if you think it's a problem):

I love Honda Civics, and my wife loves Honda Civics. I love my 1992 Honda Civic CX with supercharged B18C1 motor. She loves her 1996 Honda Civic EX automatic with VTEC.

Herein lies the problem. She can't drive a standard. She just can't. She's tried, and it just won't work. She's 4'11 with short legs and arms and the Honda was never designed for short women with poor armstrength (for extended drives).

I love more power. 127hp in that four door is snail slow. I want more power. The D series critics tell me I'm wasting my time upping the power on the D series engine. (I don't entirely agree, but I'm considering my options).

Here's my pipe dream, and tell me what you think.
The obvious choice is swap. But, the USDM swap that makes sense is not enough. The Integra LS B18B with automatic transmission is a natural. But, it's only 150hp. Several thousand for 23hp seems steep. Ok, then, why not use a B20? Sure. No problem. Mate it to a B18B automatic, why not? Well, if you're going to play mix and match with engine/tranny, why not have it all?

B18C5 with VTEC with automatic. I know, seems silly. But, when you look at the most powerful motors that Honda makes (the F1 motors) they are mated to nearly automatic transmissions (just under driver control), and for the consumer market, the Acura V6's are most often mated with automatics (except of course, for the NSX).

The problem here comes with ECU issues. There aren't any USDM OBD-II (96-98) ECU's in automatic versions that can control this combination stock. I'm going to have to chip it. My best thoughts so far are a p28 automatic ECU chipped to fuel a DOHC ITR motor.

I'm asking for thoughts. Forget converting to manual. Can't happen. The wife MUST have automatic. I've thought about turbo and supercharging, but with the D series motors, this isn't cheap, and for the price, I can upgrade torque and not hack around with the fueling with a swap.

What's your $0.02?
Old 09-08-2002, 09:26 AM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Automatic Type R (shawnhayes)

Why don't you take the C5 and swap the B18c1 into your wifes ride...? Or better yet just turbo the D-series...?

That will save you alot of the B-series "auto" swap headaches and you will be putting out close to the same amount of power...?

Just a thought...

Old 09-08-2002, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Type R (JV)

dude cmon now...F1 tranny does not = production automatic.

they are not even CLOSE.

you would soon regret this decision.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm probably talking out of my ***, but didnt japan get a B18C1 with an auto?
Old 09-08-2002, 09:33 AM
RIP ILL: 26Jan1945-02Feb2017 -&- JLVK: 14Jun1925-13Dec2016

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in JDM-land, the 3rd gen integra SiR-G (the GSR equivalent) had an optional auto tranny. now, i have no idea if this is the same or differently geared tranny than the non-VTEC tegs, but it's something worth looking into, right? I say get one of those, and you'll be set (read: JDM B18C w/auto tranny!). just make sure you get the ECU with the swap, and you wont even have to chip the ECU!
Old 09-08-2002, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (Antonio S)

dude cmon now...F1 tranny does not = production automatic.
I know, I know. Automatics, though, are not purely crap just because they are automatics. Some companies make very good automatics. I don't know how well a Honda automatic will stand up for this kind of horsepower, I'm just fishing. (caught you, didn't I?)

Shawn

P.S. - tell me why I'd regret it. I've heard some things from people in the know about Honda automatics, but I need more info to talk me out of the thought.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sell it...save...get a v6 accord..be done...
Old 09-08-2002, 10:03 AM

Why don't you take the C5 and swap the B18c1 into your wifes ride...?
Crossed my mind, but I'd still be talking about a B-series auto swap there.

Or better yet just turbo the D-series...?

That will save you alot of the B-series "auto" swap headaches and you will be putting out close to the same amount of power...?
This is definately in contention in my pipe dream. But, I'm worried about the D-series transmission. I'm not sure how tough it is. Because of this, I've also considered a supercharger (a much smaller power boost, and the lack of any turbo lag). These still aren't cheap (and a B-series swap can be found for about the same).

Does anybody know about fitment. I've just assumed here that the automatics have the same ease of swap as the manuals. I mean, the B18's just bolt in by using new motor mounts. They seem almost made for the swap. Are the automatics the same (i.e. the same motor mount points? Just different actual mounts), and are the clearances the same? This would, obviously, affect the decision.

Shawn
Old 09-08-2002, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (JaeOne3345)

sell it...save...get a v6 accord..be done...
Nice thought, but too big, and definately too fuel inefficient. Both mine and my wife's cars now get 30MPG. It'd be hard to give that up. (plus, think of the neato factor of doing it anyway)

Shawn
Old 09-08-2002, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

neato factor? Dude, that kinda **** would get you laughed at.

I mean, who RUINS a B18C5 with a ******* slushbox?

That's ******* sacreligious.

Honda was never designed for short women with poor armstrength .
Ummm...dude...when was the last time you saw a Japanese chick that was six foot and beefy?

ALL Japanese cars are designed for smaller people. I fit just about perfectly in Jap cars, but German seats and such are just too big. I really want an E36 M3 but I'll probably never get one because the seats are too wide, and I slide around.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

quote:
The obvious choice is swap. But, the USDM swap that makes sense is not enough. The Integra LS B18B with automatic transmission is a natural. But, it's only 150hp. Several thousand for 23hp seems steep

Also, keep in mind the amount of torque that will be added with an LS or CRV motor. I think it would be more than enough to fullfill your...... "cough, cough".....err, I mean HER need for more power. If not, throw on a header/filter and squeeze a little more out of it.

[Modified by rodrez, 7:33 PM 9/8/2002]
Old 09-08-2002, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (Mojo-Jojo)

neato factor? Dude, that kinda **** would get you laughed at.
I mean, who RUINS a B18C5 with a ******* slushbox?
That's ******* sacreligious.
Ummm...dude...when was the last time you saw a Japanese chick that was six foot and beefy?
ALL Japanese cars are designed for smaller people.
1. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?
2. Learn to spell if you're going act smart - "Sacrilegious" you idiot.
3. Contrary to your ignorant opinion - small Japanese women don't drive many Hondas, and when they do, they drive the automatics (that's why GSR's in Japan have automatics), and on top of that, they have good armstrength.

I didn't need that kind of garbage. If you can't say something smart or constructive, shut up.

Shawn

[Modified by shawnhayes, 8:17 PM 9/8/2002]
Old 09-08-2002, 11:24 AM

well from experience, we tried to fit an auto b18b in a 95 civic coupe, the passenger motor mount didn't fit. next, i've seen the auto b16 for sale on ebay, so buy that, take the tranny, sell the long block to me(j/k), buy the b18c5 see if the lsd fits in the auto b16 tranny, if not sell the c5 tranny to me (seriously) and u either have an auto b18c5 with lsd or without lsd. it's just a thought, i don't really know if the auto b16 longblock is the same as the manual or if the tranny is interchangable, but it's worth a try, just check with someone who really knows, oh by the way the auto b16 is jdm i've seen it go for around $1000. my .02 peace

[Modified by buddha429, 8:25 PM 9/8/2002]
Old 09-08-2002, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (buddha429)

well from experience, we tried to fit an auto b18b in a 95 civic coupe, the passenger motor mount didn't fit.
Ah HA! Was there any way to make that fit? (different mount, commercially available mount, etc.)

next, i've seen the auto b16 for sale on ebay, so buy that, take the tranny, ... just check with someone who really knows, oh by the way the auto b16 is jdm i've seen it go for around $1000. my .02 peace
This is what I'm fishing for. I don't know if the automatic B16 is any different than the automatic on the B18B. If it isn't, I'm definately getting the read that I'm going to have to cut/fabricate/juryrig all kinds of stuff to make this work. NOT your friendly neighborhood B18 manual swap at all. If no one HAS been able to make this work without major fabrication, maybe it's not possible.

I just can't imagine that I'm the first to think this up. Can't be.

Shawn
Old 09-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the B-series autos have a seperate ECU for the automatic tranny. Someone had said the wiring was a pain and not worth it. I had considered a ls swap in my wifes 00 civic ex but decided against it just for the fact it's not worth it.

A better option would be to sell the Civic or trade for a Integra LS with a auto. You will have to pay more but not as much as the b18c5 swap would cost. Turbo the LS motor and you'll have a decently fast car.
I know you may have reasons not to get rid of the car but if your open for options I would consider that. Or you can do what I'm doing and getting my wife a 5-speed and she has to learn or else she don't go no where . She said it's the only way she'll learn and she's prepared to learn because she's tired of being slow.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (nsxmatt)

A better option would be to sell the Civic or trade for a Integra LS with a auto. You will have to pay more but not as much as the b18c5 swap would cost. Turbo the LS motor and you'll have a decently fast car.
I know you may have reasons not to get rid of the car but if your open for options I would consider that.
There is literally too much blood, sweat, and tears on our cars to let them go. In all honesty, all your suggestions make intellectual sense, but love is blind (and deaf, and dumb, and stupid), and we LOVE these cars.

I'm thinking supercharger or turbocharger with these thoughts. Maybe the B16 automatic from Japan is a nice thought.

Shawn
Old 09-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe the B16 automatic from Japan is a nice thought
Better yet get a 96 thru 98 jdm b16a automatic that would be the perfect fit. I am not too sure if the automatics have a ecu of their own. I know the auto trannies have some sort of solenoid but in all honestly the only thing I can see that controling or monitoring is the ATF pressure.

If that's too much trouble, then just get a JRSC for her D series. Im sure that will give the car a little more uumph. Is not like she races her car all the time. I think that would be the less headache option. I know a friend of mines with a D series with a JRSC/Zdyne/50shot combo doing 209 whp with a perfect a/f ratio.

Hope that gives you a little help senor !

Old 09-08-2002, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (Alberto)

I have also heard that the Auto trannies have to have a seperate ECU and that it is a nightmare to wire up.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (Alberto)

dude, go for it! just for all the bullshit involved, i give you props. **** them people too ignorant too read the whole post and know what you want. do it, be happy, and have fun. the only concern i have is that, from the info i have, honda trannies arent too beefy. im thinking N/A, anny auto tranny for a B-series will work on a b-series. she will be a little stressed with a type R, but ya know. :D i think if you turbo or super that d-series, your gonna have tranny probs. those d-series autos trannys REALLY look shaky. just my .02 cents.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Automatic Type R (87posCRX)

B18C GSR motors had an optional auto tranny.

Good luck, it shouldn't be that hard.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (Reid)

B18C GSR motors had an optional auto tranny.

Good luck, it shouldn't be that hard.
Beginning to get some trickles about JDM GSR's having automatics, and possibly it fitting without modifications. More and more interesting.

Shawn
Old 09-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, I've got it!!!! I've got it!!!! The answer to your question lies here:

Be done with the one you have, and get a wife who can drive stick.

Seriously though, I thought there was no hope in teaching my g/f how to drive stick, but she is very proficient at it now. I'm sure with a lots and lots of patience and a spare clutch, she should have it figured out in a week, tops.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Automatic Type R (Lynx)

Be done with the one you have, and get a wife who can drive stick.

Seriously though, I thought there was no hope in teaching my g/f how to drive stick, but she is very proficient at it now. I'm sure with a lots and lots of patience and a spare clutch, she should have it figured out in a week, tops.
Tweet!

Personal foul.

Fifteen yards. Player ejected for unnecessary roughness.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how bout a h22 auto? just wondering.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Type R (CoolKat)

how bout a h22 auto? just wondering.
I have seen a h22 automatic accord pull a 14.7, not bad for an auto .

Quick Reply: Automatic Type R