Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Automatic Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Flush

I'm doing normal maintenance and want to flush the trans fluid. I dont see any DIY's on this and I was told that an auto flush is not like a manual flush and a machine is needed to flush the auto trans. Im assuming they mean to bleed the trans cooler. Can anyone just write out a quick DIY on an auto trans flush? The Helms manual seemed pretty vague.

The trans is having minor issues and I'm going to flush it to see if I can alleviate the problem. It's my daily and it IS staying as an auto

Is it as simple as level the car, drain and refill or is there more to it?

This is for an Automatic 1994 Honda Civic EX

This is all the Helms says

Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Flush

at our dealership when we do a "flush" we do a drain and fill 3x instead of the normal 1x drain and fill
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ekb16
at our dealership when we do a "flush" we do a drain and fill 3x instead of the normal 1x drain and fill
Thats basically it, if you hook up a honda transmission to a power flusher you will destroy it. Drain and fill with honda fluid.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what ive been reading. is there a trans cooler that i have to worry about on a 94 ex coupe? if not then ill just flush it like i would a manual car, go through all the gears, flush repeat til its flushed 3x over.

the only thing worrying me is this "machine" thing i keep hearing about. im assuming thats for the trans cooler.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by imbest123
thats what ive been reading. is there a trans cooler that i have to worry about on a 94 ex coupe? if not then ill just flush it like i would a manual car, go through all the gears, flush repeat til its flushed 3x over.

the only thing worrying me is this "machine" thing i keep hearing about. im assuming thats for the trans cooler.
Trans cooler is just a piece of brass tubing that runs through the lower rad tank, you can disconnect both lines if you want to and blow compressed air through the pipe.

The machine you keep hearing about is to power flush a transmission, it circulates fluid through the transmission under pressure, it also blows the internal transmission filter (which is really more of a screen) all apart inside the transmission getting dirt and debris where it shouldn't be. Most automatic transmissions have a pan and a replaceable filter, hondas don't, hence why you shouldn't power flush them. I think you're reading into this a little too much, simple drain and fill a few times, if that doesn't help your transmission or torque converter is probably bad.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Trans cooler is just a piece of brass tubing that runs through the lower rad tank, you can disconnect both lines if you want to and blow compressed air through the pipe.

The machine you keep hearing about is to power flush a transmission, it circulates fluid through the transmission under pressure, it also blows the internal transmission filter (which is really more of a screen) all apart inside the transmission getting dirt and debris where it shouldn't be. Most automatic transmissions have a pan and a replaceable filter, hondas don't, hence why you shouldn't power flush them. I think you're reading into this a little too much, simple drain and fill a few times, if that doesn't help your transmission or torque converter is probably bad.
thanks. that explains everything perfectly
Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know...I was curious about this myself...only done changes on manuals...and I'm about to help a kid out that has an auto and heard the same thing about the machines.