Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Automatic SOHC VTEC question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic SOHC VTEC question?

Are all 92/95 automatic transmissions the same?.....1.5 to 1.6?

I wanna drop a D16Z6/Y8 swap in a 94 DX that has an automatic transmission. And it's staying with a AT.

Shopping list...
1) Z6/Y8 Long Block
2) EX/SI ECU
3) 1.6 AT (if difference in trannys from 1.5 to 1.6)

I'd try an LS/Auto swap, but I know it's a pain in the a$$.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Automatic SOHC VTEC question? (D16Z6racing)

yes there is a difference. All of the trannys other than the one's from the ex and si's suck *****. It would take forever to get through the gears...espescially with it being auto.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic SOHC VTEC question? (SOHC_MShue)

Know where I can pick up a 5th gen 1.6 auto tranny?

Every site I know to look at only has manual or doesn't specify.

...and is my shopping list above accurate? Missing anything?
Old 12-21-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why not just do a manual conversion. Even with the z6 and nicer auto tranny its still gonna be slow as *****.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not just do a manual conversion. Even with the z6 and nicer auto tranny its still gonna be slow as *****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Worried about the tranny mount. Don't you have to cut the old one off and weld a new mount for the manual tranny?
Old 12-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Worried about the tranny mount. Don't you have to cut the old one off and weld a new mount for the manual tranny?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have never heard that before....hmmm....I would ask around but I don't think that you have to do that.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic SOHC VTEC question? (GTlvr82)

I read that on every post here on HT about auto-to-manual conversions. I did a huge search last night here.

I'm I wrong? Please let me know, cause I'd love to swap to manual.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if you searched you did more than I did. I was just speculating. I don't know for sure. I just assumed. Proper welds are strong as hell man....look at the after market motor mounts....alot of those are welded.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Worried about the tranny mount. Don't you have to cut the old one off and weld a new mount for the manual tranny?</TD></TR></TABLE>

just go ahead and do it. Even if you have to do that its not big deal. Just chop the old one off and weld a new one on...thats all.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill second what these two gentelmen are saying. Swap to a manual if you are doig it for performace reasons. Even the z6 with an auto tranny is going to be tough to put a lot of power down and it will still be slow.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic SOHC VTEC question? (Ricey McRicerton)

Not doing it for performance reasons. Just want more than 102hp. The 125hp for a EX/SI is perfect. Plus if I go AT -to- MT, I'll end up swapping a LS later on. Thats one thing I'm trying to avoid.

I'm more concerned about the show and comfort factor now. Type R style lip kit, JDM lighting, and DC cloth seats.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

125 hp in an auto d series = still slower than everything else on the road. Sorry man, but don't waste your money or time on it.

EDIT: And I dont think a z6 is going to help you win any car shows.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've also been a SOHC person for ever.

Thought about adding my GReddy kit to the Z6/Y8. Didn't really wanna add it to the B7. 4psi won't be that big of a deal. I'd still rather sell my turbo kit though.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EDIT: And I dont think a z6 is going to help you win any car shows.</TD></TR></TABLE>

More show as in, exterior.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Greddy kit runs at 5.5psi in it's "stock" trim. I run it on a y7 and love it. Especially at 8psi. Honestly, that Greddy kit isnt going to do you much good on an auto D series tranny and will end up destroying it. Either 1. leave the **** like you have it now, or 2. swap to a manual and then try to build it faster. Without a ton of money (see new torque converter that I don't even think they make) you are going to have a hard time building a auto Honda tranny to deal with the daily abuse of boost.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All of the trannys other than the one's from the ex and si's suck *****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? I hated both trannys...
Old 12-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic SOHC VTEC question? (R_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really? I hated both trannys...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but the ex/si is the shortest non hybrid D series tranny...so...
Old 12-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">125 hp in an auto d series = still slower than everything else on the road. Sorry man, but don't waste your money or time on it.

EDIT: And I dont think a z6 is going to help you win any car shows.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sooo true. I have an auto ex and it is slow as molasass. You will do the swap then probably want to switch it over to manual anyways. This is what I am going to do later on after I graduate...everyone says it will be a pain but I think it will fun.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic SOHC VTEC question? (silvercivicgrl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silvercivicgrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sooo true. I have an auto ex and it is slow as molasass. You will do the swap then probably want to switch it over to manual anyways. This is what I am going to do later on after I graduate...everyone says it will be a pain but I think it will fun. </TD></TR></TABLE>

More power to you. I would'nt want to get involved in an auto-manual swap ( I would honeslty sell the car and buy a manual) but there are plenty of resources on here that can help you.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

More power to you. I would'nt want to get involved in an auto-manual swap ( I would honeslty sell the car and buy a manual) but there are plenty of resources on here that can help you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to mention I have friends that would help me. I know it will be hard but I'll just take my time and not rush it....But I am only doing this after I graduate b/c I can afford a new daily and this one can sit in the garage.. (s2k baby ) Everyone says sell it and buy a manual but the car is already paid off and I know I wouldn't make crap so I might as well just keep it (plus I can't part w/ her, shes my first)
Old 12-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silvercivicgrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not to mention I have friends that would help me. I know it will be hard but I'll just take my time and not rush it....But I am only doing this after I graduate b/c I can afford a new daily and this one can sit in the garage.. (s2k baby ) Everyone says sell it and buy a manual but the car is already paid off and I know I wouldn't make crap so I might as well just keep it (plus I can't part w/ her, shes my first)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you sound about like me. I want another car bad, but I payed cash for the one I have and nobody will give me what I want for it (short of some of the local ricers, but I could'nt do that to her). Good luck with whatever you do (and you make more than I do if you can afford an S2k!!)
Old 12-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah you sound about like me. I want another car bad, but I payed cash for the one I have and nobody will give me what I want for it (short of some of the local ricers, but I could'nt do that to her). Good luck with whatever you do (and you make more than I do if you can afford an S2k!!)</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's easier to just stick with what you got instead of selling it. Ha I don't make crap now but, in a year and a half I'll be makin $...hopefully Lol

but as for the guy above I was just thinking...why do you want to go with auto instead of manual? convience? Also, I was thinking of slapping a turbo on my engine as well HOWEVER, even if built it wouldn't be worth it (trust me I weighed all my options...)
Old 12-21-2003, 10:08 AM

if youre going to convert it, PLace Racing makes a good tranny mount that will work in your AT chassis, so you wont have to cut and reweld anything. i did an auto-manual conversion on my 93 EX and let me tell you that the MT is way better than the AT.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

local car with mini me W/ auto ran a 18.2 on BF G-Force T/A.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Automatic SOHC VTEC question? (93 EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93 EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre going to convert it, PLace Racing makes a good tranny mount that will work in your AT chassis, so you wont have to cut and reweld anything. i did an auto-manual conversion on my 93 EX and let me tell you that the MT is way better than the AT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Place Racing's website is down. I wanted to look into it more.

Quick Reply: Automatic SOHC VTEC question?