Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

automatic ls/vtec or b20/vtec into eg

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic ls/vtec or b20/vtec into eg

Before I get a flood of posts telling me to do a manual swap, please respect the fact I would like to keep my car automatic. I totally understand a lot of the performance is lost when mating an engine with an automatic tranny (about 30% I have heard), but I have reasons for wanting to keep it as it is. It is my daily driver, and while I want some speed, I don't need it to be outrageous. My car is also more show than it is for racing, but I wanted to put something in to make it a little quicker and fun to drive.

Also, I have searched through this forum for a couple days before writing up this post. I found some useful information, but there was little relating to my exact query. I am a complete newb when it comes to swaps and especially the pros and cons of each engine, so you will have to bare with me. (Any help with any aspect would be greatly appreciated.)

That said, I am looking to swap in a b18 or b20 into my 95 eg coupe. From what I have read to add vtec to either engine I would be wanting to put a b16 head onto the block of either the b18 or b20. As for transmission, as I want to keep it auto, I was thinking of using one out of a 4th gen teg. I understand that most of honda's auto tranny's are pretty weak, so I would be getting it built up (including a new torque converter) before I put the swap in. The only two other options that I know I have available are a b18c auto tranny or a b16 auto tranny. As both of these are only available in Japan, I would rather stay away incase I end up blowing one and needing some special parts.

I am not interested in any heavy body modifications to get my swap in, so if one of the options, either the b18 or b20 require them I will not consider that choice.

As I said before, basically I am looking for something I can use on the street everyday. Reliability is a must. I already have an exhaust, intake, and I will look into a header once I decide on the swap.

Next year I also plan to add boost. Without being completely stupid, I was hoping to run 10-15 psi daily. I understand that the b20 is rumored to have horrible problems with its sleeves, so I would have to look at it getting resleeved when I was to add boost. I also understand that minor internal work would be needed in order to make my car reliable when it is turbocharged.

From what I understand, the b20 has a lower compression rate than the b18... how would that effect the efficiency and reliability of the engine.

Also, if someone would be able to quickly jot me a quick shopping list of what all I would need to complete either of the swaps that would be great. I really do not know what all I would need from which cars. Even if you could direct me to an existing thread that would be great. (I tried searching but could find very little.)

Thank you to anyone who actually took the time to read through all of this. As I have said, anything you could tell me about what I am thinking of doing I would love to hear it. (Other than a manual swap... it is not an option I am considering.)
Old 03-16-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: automatic ls/vtec or b20/vtec into eg (Mikerosoft)

Hey chief, so lets talk about this whole automatic thing....Just kidding. I am working on my LS/Vtec project now and here is a basic parts list and about what I paid.

Block 75
Crank 0 w/Block
Pistons 189
Rings 0 w/pistons
Rods 20 Used LS/Rods
Bearings 99
waterpump 127
Timing belt packaged w/Waterpump
tensioner packaged w/Waterpump
oilpump 111
Manifold,Intake Using B16 for now
Manifold,Exaust 200
VAFC 75
ECU Using stock b16a3 ECU
Main bolts 54
Head gasket 51
LS-vtec dowels 15
Head bolts 65
oilpan 140
Crank Girdle 80 This was to get it machined to use on LS block.
Windage tray
oil pickup
Oil pan gasket 16
Vtec oil line 80
motor work 396 This included getting the block bored .25 over, shot peen the rods, grinding the crank, cleaning and included the price of the lightened flywheel.

I am using a b16 head from a 94 del sol. I don't know much about the B20 so hopefully someone else can fill you in on that aspect including the Turbo Option. I hope to finish building it this weekend and get in back on the road......One piece of advice is to find a REPUTABLE machine shop. I had much trouble with the machine shop I went to and it took forever for them to complete my motor work. I hope this helps give you a decent idea on how much you are looking at for the LS-Vtec swap.......
Old 03-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: automatic ls/vtec or b20/vtec into eg (b16a3delsol)

boost it
Old 03-16-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: automatic ls/vtec or b20/vtec into eg (Mikerosoft)

No info to give. However thanks for creating this block, Ive been wanting to do the exact same with my 4door AUTO. Good luck with posts and info, I'll be keeping an eye out in here!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 PM

the only excuse for an automatic would be because you only have one foot....and id try to stump the clutch in......

heh jking...just build the motor and put an auto tranny on it, say from a GSR....sorry if i missed the rest but its late and i cant read that much at once...

but with FI, its going to tear the tranny to shreds if you boost it too much...i'd suggest a bolt on kit like greddy and keep the boost low...im sure theres something out there that needs to be replaced to help with that, try searching for automatic boost in the FI section i guess??