Old 01-18-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic engine question

Close, thanks.

Modified by lol ek at 1:54 PM 1/19/2008
Old 01-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Automatic engine question (lol ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lol ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright I'am helping out a friend with his car. He has a Ek civic and it's got the stock d series engine in it and it's also automatic. We're thinking about dropping in a automatic b18 or something along those lines in it because he's not too fon of 5speed, and it's his daily.

My question is, would there be any major problems with doing this. And would it be worth it ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No there would be no problems doing this and describe "worth."

If by worth it you mean will it make a reliable daily driver? Yes? if by worth it do you mean super quick? No. Though if your goal is power a honda automatic gear box (on any engine) is NOT the way to go.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Ok thanks, I know you cant get much from a automatic he just wants something more then a d16. Also a turbo b18 came into mind. We're not trying to make it super fast, just alittle more fun.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lol ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lol ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok thanks, I know you cant get much from a automatic he just wants something more then a d16. Also a turbo b18 came into mind. We're not trying to make it super fast, just alittle more fun. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Has your friend ever thought about boosting the d16?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Re: (Pat_S)

Syndacate is right. With some car types it might be possible to use an automatic but with a Honda the shifting is just not what it needs to be. I know he isn't fond of the 5 speed but why? Does he not know how to drive a 5 speed or what?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mckrank313)

I knew a guy that had a boosted auto d16 and ran 14.5s,but his tranny hated him I say just boost the d16 but keep the tranny as cool as prossible(umm tranny cooler,different liquids)....or a b18 with a jdm auto tranny from a gsr..just a thought
Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Re: (blackoutt)

No he's not good at driving a 5 speed. So he doesn't really want to convert it because he wont like driving it. LOL I know it's odd but there's got to be some way to have alittle more fun with his car then stock version. He's got a few bolt ons, but everybody knows they dont do much. We thought about boosting the d16, and would like to but heard the tranny would go not to long after.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 AM

Would there be a smart & safe way of boosting the d16 ? He doesn't need to run like 10 lbs or anything like that. I think 5lbs would be good and safe. And information about this would be great. Thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lol ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would there be a smart & safe way of boosting the d16 ? He doesn't need to run like 10 lbs or anything like that. I think 5lbs would be good and safe. And information about this would be great. Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

"safe" supercharge it...the jackson kit runs 6psi and can be brought up to 10psi....i had a SC'ed Auto d16y8 it was fun and reliable...had to run premium fuel though...i ran the charger for over a year with no problems at all. the motor + SC'er are in 00 hatch now still running strong.

http://www.supercharger.com/Br...eID=1

give keith at Moss Motors/ Jacksonracing

805-681-3410
Old 01-19-2008, 09:42 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lol ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We're thinking about dropping in a automatic b18 or something along those lines in it because he's not too fon of 5speed, and it's his daily.

My question is, would there be any major problems with doing this. And would it be worth it ? </TD></TR></TABLE>
You're going to have to learn how to weld, because the transmission mount bracket must be relocated on the frame rail, and nobody makes an aftermarket mount for such a conversion.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lol ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would there be a smart & safe way of boosting the d16 ? He doesn't need to run like 10 lbs or anything like that. I think 5lbs would be good and safe.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No.

I hope you two enjoy swapping out automatic transmissions, because that's what you're going to be doing. Repeatedly.

Multiple used automatic transmissions and fresh fluid are an order of magnitude more expensive than swapping in a manual transmission once.

And the car will still be slower than a bone stock '99-00 Civic Si.

Tell your buddy to stop being a little girl churning out excuses, and just go learn how to drive a real man's car like everybody else. Does he quit playing sports and declare them "not fun" when he can't master them right away too?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Re: (Targa250R)

Ok thanks for the information
Old 01-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01_CLtypeS

"safe" supercharge it...the jackson kit runs 6psi and can be brought up to 10psi....i had a SC'ed Auto d16y8 it was fun and reliable...had to run premium fuel though...i ran the charger for over a year with no problems at all. the motor + SC'er are in 00 hatch now still running strong.

http://www.supercharger.com/Br...eID=1

give keith at Moss Motors/ Jacksonracing

805-681-3410
Please don't listen to this guy's BS. Supercharging is the same concept of nitrous which is the same concept as turbocharging - added air. X pounds off of a Y size supercharger compressor in Z size piping is the same flow rate as X punts off of a Y size turbocharger compressor in Z size piping. Supercharger or turbocharger doesn't make a difference, this is a common misconception amongst people that say "superchargers don't need to be tuned" - yes they do - they need to be tuned in the same way a turbocharger does and they will create the same effects of a turbocharger while wearing the engine down at the same rate as a turbocharger.

Originally Posted by lol ek
Would there be a smart & safe way of boosting the d16 ? He doesn't need to run like 10 lbs or anything like that. I think 5lbs would be good and safe. And information about this would be great. Thanks
No.

Originally Posted by lol ek
No he's not good at driving a 5 speed. So he doesn't really want to convert it because he wont like driving it. LOL I know it's odd but there's got to be some way to have alittle more fun with his car then stock version. He's got a few bolt ons, but everybody knows they dont do much. We thought about boosting the d16, and would like to but heard the tranny would go not to long after.
He's best off throwing a B18 in there with the automatic transmission and leaving it the hell alone. Though if he wants "more fun" he should just get a different car - perhaps one with a V6 - expletiveing around with honda auto trans's and low grade engines trying to make power is a joke and a half. The engine / transmission is designed very well for what it was intended for: daily driving. It's not a race engine/transmission nor was it ever designed nor intended to be. He's got a few options: A) Learn how to drive a manual gearbox, B) swap the B18 in there and forget about it, C) Accept the fact that civics aren't fast and get a different car (or a bigger engine with a manual gear box) if you want to "have fun." -- A stock Z6 can almost run down an automatic B18 (depending on speeds) - so the difference is almost null.

Gonna spend 2k so he can barely out run a stock Z6?

Originally Posted by blackoutt
I knew a guy that had a boosted auto d16 and ran 14.5s,but his tranny hated him I say just boost the d16 but keep the tranny as cool as prossible(umm tranny cooler,different liquids)....or a b18 with a jdm auto tranny from a gsr..just a thought
14.5's, eh? Wow - those are some pretty shitty numbers for a boosted car. I mean ****, that's right up there with the toyota starlet or a jetta 1.8T.

It's a waste of $ if you boost a car for 1.5s less in the 1/4.

@ OP:
Tell your friend to learn how to drive a manual, or forget about the whole thing - because that's basically what it comes down to. Unless he wants to fork over a shitload of cash for a reinforced B series automatic trans (which will cost more than an LS and isn't practical at all). Swapping in an automatic B18 for "more fun" is almost a waste as boosting an automatic B18.

If it's a daily driver and he's in traffic: He should just leave his auto D16 in there.
If he wants "more fun" out of it: He should learn to drive a regular gearbox where options actually become open to him.