Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AutoBody Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoBody Question

okay bought a car and trying to do some body work. i looks like there's house paint on it do i have to take off all the paint or do can i just spray over it, and if i do will it stick
Old 12-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: AutoBody Question

Nope, you can't just spray over top of old paint. It all must be sanded off and primered prior to spraying.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

block of wood and sandpaper are your friend.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably gonna mess it up even more. Post some pics
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andoxviii
Nope, you can't just spray over top of old paint. It all must be sanded off and primered prior to spraying.
... gtfo. seriously if you don't know what you are talking about then move on to the next post. no need to get the post count up by posting something that you don't even know what you are talking about.

OP...

as long as the paint on the car is not peeling off your all good :-)

Paint makes the best primer ;-)... to answer your question how ever. you need to sand the whole car. you can paint over paint, it just needs to be sanded to a dull finish; like with a 320ish grit. you use a block to make sure that every thing is sanded flat... not smooth, these are two completely different things. and it is the most common noob mistake when it comes to body work.

if you need to put some bondo on a spot then yes its gotta go down to bare metal, then you would bondo, sand, prime, sand, seal then paint. and it might take a few bondo spreads or a few primes.

but seriously you can paint right over paint... i remember we did this older fox body stang in my body shop class and it had like 2-4 small bad spots that needed prime, and the teacher told this kid jose to go prime up the spots on the mustang. he proceeded to do the whole car... my teacher nearly beat the **** out of him.

so in a nut shell, paint sticks to sealer... sealer sticks to either paint or primer. primer sticks to bondo, paint and baremetal (if its a metal etch prime or lacquer) and bondo sticks to bare metal... there is also what is called spot putty, its used for small small dings and that **** can go on anything.

theres a paint/body section on honda-tech, you might be able to find more info here or PM me if you got any questions
Old 12-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ He said there's house paint on it
Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sde780
^ He said there's house paint on it
he said he thinks there's house paint on it (there's no way to tell what kind of paint was used)... seriously do you guys think that car paint is a glorious one of a kind type of paint?

guess what... it isn't... single stage paint is pretty much just glossy paint. base coat / clear coat is just a type of paint that needs to be applied in stages.

as long as said paint sticks to the car and isn't peeling off you go about it the same way as any other kind of paint. sand the ****er down and seal it and paint it.

truthfully the only different between like tractor paint and house paint and car paint is the quality. how long is that paint going to maintain its shine.. how long till it fades... how deep is the color going to be (reflection).

bottom line at the end of the day paint is paint. and as long as the prep for the paint was good that **** will stick to it regardless.

if the OP is really worried about it, i would just have the car sandblasted because sanding an entire cars worth of paint off is bullshit, and flat out stupid.

OP is the paint peeling?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you seen house paint before? It's thick and pretty damn hard to mistaken it for automotive paint. And even then, if it looks shitty I wouldn't trust it not to peel. Sanding the whole car is not that much work, I did mine in 2 days with a machine.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol
Old 12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dividedas1
he said he thinks there's house paint on it (there's no way to tell what kind of paint was used)... seriously do you guys think that car paint is a glorious one of a kind type of paint?

guess what... it isn't... single stage paint is pretty much just glossy paint. base coat / clear coat is just a type of paint that needs to be applied in stages.

as long as said paint sticks to the car and isn't peeling off you go about it the same way as any other kind of paint. sand the ****er down and seal it and paint it.

truthfully the only different between like tractor paint and house paint and car paint is the quality. how long is that paint going to maintain its shine.. how long till it fades... how deep is the color going to be (reflection).

bottom line at the end of the day paint is paint. and as long as the prep for the paint was good that **** will stick to it regardless.

if the OP is really worried about it, i would just have the car sandblasted because sanding an entire cars worth of paint off is bullshit, and flat out stupid.

OP is the paint peeling?
wow to say latex or enamel house paint has anything in common with a urethane or even laquer automotive paint is retarded
Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by bigD
wow to say latex or enamel house paint has anything in common with a urethane or even laquer automotive paint is retarded
do they even use laquer paint any more? i know you can get laquer primer. you do realize that they used to use enamel paint cars as well? i guess your right, if its a latex idk, honestly i would assume it's an enamel, something like rustoleum (aka $25 paint job). that was what i was going off of.

and your right that crap is thick as hell, it would take some sanding but if all the prep work was done right before the car was painted it should stay. plus he would be able to sand everything flat if he took his time.

i would assume since he doesn't really know what he's doing he would probably just go to town on it if he used any air/electric sanders and would probably have a hard time getting the car straight.

Last edited by dividedas1; 12-23-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-23-2008, 09:04 PM

I think your best bet would be to sand it down. The reason I say this is you make it sound like someone else tried to paint the car. So, at this point you have to rely on their prep work. That's risky and if it fails, you won't know if it was from you or the possibly poor prep beforehand. Kinda hard to learn from your mistakes if you don't know how it failed right? This is of course, assuming it isn't house paint. Honestly, if you have to question that I think the safe bet would be start fresh. My .02

slim

p.s. They do still make lacquer. Limited colors and clears.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 AM

for touch ups right? i dont think shops spray lacquer any more
Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 AM

for touch ups right? i dont think shops spray lacquer any more
The only place places you'll find still spraying lacquer are the restoration shops. And trust me, not many of those even shoot it. These are rare exceptions so a general saying of lacquer isn't used anymore is pretty accurate.

Slim
Old 12-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, lacquers started to dye out in the late 80's due to epa regulations. Some shops do still use because they're old school and it can still provide a good finish. But technology doesnt get worse now and the solvent based paints we have now are just a better thing. Dupont has some really great stuff, like hot-hues and such or just the standard chroma base which is really nice. If you do in deed have house paint on your car, personally i would take it off. I dont think many house paints are solvent borne, so putting a solvent borne paint on a water borne base probably isnt a good idea. It might could even lead to bleading, fish eye's (which is also from poor prep), maybe even solvent popping i cant say for sure. There is paint now that people have used from rustoleum thats a roll on for cars and actually looks good too. If your on a decent budget you might try that, that could probably go over house paint good but deff block it before you put anything down
Old 12-24-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by slimgsr
The only place places you'll find still spraying lacquer are the restoration shops. And trust me, not many of those even shoot it. These are rare exceptions so a general saying of lacquer isn't used anymore is pretty accurate.

Slim
i know... lol i was being sarcastic-ish... lacquer died out back with muscle cars. that stuff is terrible for your respiratory system. i just said that because BigD apparently thinks that our honda's have lacquer paint on them
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by z6hatchboy
If you do in deed have house paint on your car, personally i would take it off. I dont think many house paints are solvent borne, so putting a solvent borne paint on a water borne base probably isnt a good idea. It might could even lead to bleading, fish eye's (which is also from poor prep), maybe even solvent popping i cant say for sure.

chaaa you can mix down that rustoleum too and spray it, comes out alot better too.

but ya you would get fish eyes from not cleaning the surface before painting (grimey fingers or grease = fish eyes)

ya i guess there would be a chance of solvent pop but then again if you sealed the whole car like you should before you layed down paint i am willing to bet you would be fine.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know... lol i was being sarcastic-ish... lacquer died out back with muscle cars. that stuff is terrible for your respiratory system. i just said that because BigD apparently thinks that our honda's have lacquer paint on them
lol where did I say honda's have lacquer paint noob? I brought up lacquer just to show you paints are made out of different products, and to say they are all the same is stupid.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 PM

... you used lacquer as an example of a type of automotive finish (that isn't used at all any more)... you also failed to mention that they do paint cars in enamel.

by no means am i trying to say that all paints are exactly the same. they are many different types, really honestly i doubt that someone used a latex on this kid's car. like i said the rustoleum paint job is becoming more common for these "rat-rods" so more than likely said house paint is really just tractor paint.

and personally if the paint wasn't peeling (i would pressure wash the **** out of it to find out) i would feel comfortable sanded it flat, cleaning it off (pressure washer again) and again if the paint sticks. it would be getting sealed and painted.

but hey what do i know, its not like i have ever painted a car before. ;-) plus it's a honda... not an antique car. to sink money into an expensive paint jobs a bit silly if you ask me.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My brother (I admit, he's a total idiot) bought a Mustang painted with house paint applied with a roller. There is some cobbled up **** out there. Do we know if OP's car was painted with house paint? No. Who knows what it has on it, but he's better off going down to the original finish. The "$50 Krylon paint job" has been done and it looks good to me. Google it or check in the appearance section here.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

... you used lacquer as an example of a type of automotive finish (that isn't used at all any more)... you also failed to mention that they do paint cars in enamel.

by no means am i trying to say that all paints are exactly the same. they are many different types, really honestly i doubt that someone used a latex on this kid's car. like i said the rustoleum paint job is becoming more common for these "rat-rods" so more than likely said house paint is really just tractor paint.

and personally if the paint wasn't peeling (i would pressure wash the **** out of it to find out) i would feel comfortable sanded it flat, cleaning it off (pressure washer again) and again if the paint sticks. it would be getting sealed and painted.

but hey what do i know, its not like i have ever painted a car before. ;-) plus it's a honda... not an antique car. to sink money into an expensive paint jobs a bit silly if you ask me.
sorry but there are still guys out there that use lacquer and yes acrylic enamel to paint cars most are restoration jobs but none the less they use it. Most everyone uses urethane's now days and if the shop you take your car to does not I would go somewhere else. Some of us care about are honda's and would rather do the job rite then end up with a shitty job.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically if you want your car to look as good as possible sand/bondo paint. do things right the first time so you dont have to keep touching spots up and make you car look even more like a POS then it may already maybe. i dont mean to insult your car. take a look at my car in my sig looks like ****.