Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering?

I have a 92 cx as you know it does not have power steering, I just lowered the car about 1.8in. on ground controls w/stock struts, front-upper strut bar, rear-upper strut bar and a rear lower tie bar. The car doesn't seem to be cornering too much better and the body roll is still pretty present. I'm not very satisfied with the handling and I'm wodering if it's the power steering aspect.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:32 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (Touch)

For me, going from no power steering to having power steering was a huge difference in driveability. Screwing around with tight LOW SPEED corners without power steering is a bitch. It's also a bitch trying to turn grippy tires w/o PS.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (SkyeC)

no p/s with a rack designed for p/s= a bitch

no p/s with a rack designed for no p/s= just fine. (what i have). compared to my friends who REMOVE p/s, its a breeze, there cars are a bitch. but its a compromise. they tend to like it better because they feel as tho have a better connection/feel to the road. almost as if they feel the p/s sucks up feeling.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (JaeOne3345)

What class are you running in? I run SM and use PS. It's good, hardcore racers go without it, but its just a fun hobby for me.

If you run in stock, the only way you can remove the ps is if there was a model which came without the ps.
i think
Old 05-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (jin_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jin_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What class are you running in? I run SM and use PS. It's good, hardcore racers go without it, but its just a fun hobby for me.

If you run in stock, the only way you can remove the ps is if there was a model which came without the ps.
i think</TD></TR></TABLE>

Firstly, my cx in it's stock form came without ps.
Secondly, I'm not running in any class just daily driving on Alabama back roads(where I go to school).

I don't mind not having power steering, but the cars responsiveness seems delayed. What suspension goodies might alleviate this problem?
Old 05-24-2003, 05:05 PM

it sucked auto x'in my DX, specially when i had 17's....argh. then i got 15's and it was a lot better. then i drove my friends integra, and that was even better with the power steering. good luck!
Old 05-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (kwik2nec)

Power steering here.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (Touch)

FWIW, 90% of the FWD guys in SM have power steering.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (SkyeC)

??FWIW?? What does that mean?
Old 05-24-2003, 05:28 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Touch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">??FWIW?? What does that mean?</TD></TR></TABLE>

From What Ive Witnessed? I think thats it, notsure though..

Anyway, most of the people i see at my local events running street mod still have power steering..
Old 05-24-2003, 05:32 PM

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (euclidEH3)

I'd stick with power steering. Even professional drivers.. regardless of what type continue to use power steering. I don't know why people go without... oh yeah.. forgot. They want those huge forearm muscle. Its hard to turn without power steering at low speeds. just my opinion.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (GQ Cowboy)

So when looking to do a swap, I should also look for the components nessisary for ps?
Old 05-24-2003, 07:08 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Touch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 92 cx as you know it does not have power steering, I just lowered the car about 1.8in. on ground controls w/stock struts, front-upper strut bar, rear-upper strut bar and a rear lower tie bar. The car doesn't seem to be cornering too much better and the body roll is still pretty present. I'm not very satisfied with the handling and I'm wodering if it's the power steering aspect.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Simply lowering your car doesn't do much at all. Also, strut tower braces don't do **** until you upgrade other things, and tighten up the suspension enough to need them - they keep the chassis from flexing.

Your car will continue to be plagued with body roll until you get some sway bars on it - the CX didn't come with any sway bars at all. Once you have sway bars that keep the body from rolling, that's when the lower tie bars and the strut braces come into play. Also, you need to get yourself some aftermarket struts. Upgrading springs without upgrading your struts is just silly IMHO.

I think you started upgrading the wrong things first. You need to look around and do a little reading to learn about the suspension components, and decide what you're trying to do with the car before wasting your money buying parts that won't help you yet.

The non-power steering has almost nothing to do with handling and should be one of the last things you need to worry about. Nearly all Hondas have shitty steering racks anyways, with slow ratios and a flat mushy spot in the center.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:09 PM
ERA

If you really want it. Doing a swap, it is still gonna cost you a bit more for the pwr assisted rack. Happy shipping prices!!
Old 05-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (Targa250R)

I know cxes don't come with sways, but I got good deals on all the bars and bought them. As far as the aftermarket struts, what's the big whoop? I'm sorry I've ridden in my boys coupe with gcs and agxs... didn't notice any big difference with either.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:12 PM

Cusco is really good
Old 05-25-2003, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Touch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 92 cx as you know it does not have power steering, I just lowered the car about 1.8in. on ground controls w/stock struts, front-upper strut bar, rear-upper strut bar and a rear lower tie bar. The car doesn't seem to be cornering too much better and the body roll is still pretty present. I'm not very satisfied with the handling and I'm wodering if it's the power steering aspect.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock struts, no sways or tower braces.....all that can equal to the body roll you are experiencing.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (Apex i ITR)

powersteering is for sissys la la's
Old 06-08-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (beeboyee)

how can u not want body roll with out geting struts, go see cusco they got the best. It will make a difference. but until u get struts u will always have the body roll trust in that and i dont have ps its just fine I LOVE IT. MAKES ME FEEL one with teh road !!
Old 06-08-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (beeboyee)

Stock '92 CX shocks are not helping your cause. Get some Koni yellows and then tell me whether or not you can feel a difference. Also, sway bars are key. Go to a junkyard and grab some stock sways. Big improvement from that.

I autocross with power steering...it's very nice, I like having it. I see no reason to take it off (my car came with it stock).

And, FYI, "FWIW" is "for what it's worth."
Old 06-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (delsolguy)

i run without powersteering. as you can see i got a 92 cx as well. i love not having it. my steering response was improved thanks to the koni yellows/groundcontrols. the reason why you got so much body roll are your shocks and im guessing you didnt get custom rates for you coilovers. that might be the problem.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:42 PM

Default Re: ::++::Auto Xers::++:: Do you guys run w or w/o power steering? (toEknEEg)

No power steering, 20x9.5x13 Hoosier slicks, foot to the floor Autocrosser.
Muscle 'em.
Lightweight!