Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Am I experiencing chassis flex?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I experiencing chassis flex?

I have a 98 coupe,I threw some yonaka coilovers on it that I got for a good price. The coilovers themselves seem good,I've been riding on them for a couple months now.
when I go to enter a parking lot and have to take the entrance at an angle do to the incline I'm getting a creaking noise that seems to be coming from the entire chassis. Almost like it's flexing.
Has anyone experienced this,and or she'd some light on what's going on?
​​​thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:28 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: Am I experiencing chassis flex?

You're on some cheap used Chinese made coilovers. Not sure what you were expecting....
Old 02-27-2019, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said the coilovers are fine. Like really,everyone is gonna be quick to say. Oh cheap Chinese blah blah blah. I wasn't asking an opinion on the coilovers I'm running.they feel just like the skunks I've run in the past.theres nothing wrong with them.
now if you wanna try and be helpful instead of taking any opertunity to bash a product.
Like seriously,it's annoying.i read so many thread were there is needless stuff said.
I paid $200 for some used coilovers that perform how they are supposed to,that replaced blown factory suspension because that's what I wanted to do.nuff said.

Now,anyone with something useful to say on this topic? Or will this just get pushed aside because of the type of coilovers I have.

I wish the car community was like it used to be...
Old 02-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Icon7 Re: Am I experiencing chassis flex?

Originally Posted by chrysanderson
Like I said the coilovers are fine. Like really,everyone is gonna be quick to say. Oh cheap Chinese blah blah blah. I wasn't asking an opinion on the coilovers I'm running.they feel just like the skunks I've run in the past.theres nothing wrong with them.
now if you wanna try and be helpful instead of taking any opertunity to bash a product.
Like seriously,it's annoying.i read so many thread were there is needless stuff said.
I paid $200 for some used coilovers that perform how they are supposed to,that replaced blown factory suspension because that's what I wanted to do.nuff said.

Now,anyone with something useful to say on this topic? Or will this just get pushed aside because of the type of coilovers I have.

I wish the car community was like it used to be...
yup I know what you mean, instead of criticism..maybe a solution.. Seems like that's the way the world is lately..

I had the problem you're talking about, it was like a groaning, sometimes a rattle. The groaning was like "errrrrrr" or a shudder noise. Mine was in the rear sides.That all disappeared when I got a rear strut tower bar. Got a cheapie, Spec-D brand. like $30-40. That actually tightened things up to make it quiet back there. I think after all these years,our chassis has loosened up. What once might not have been needed, it needs it now. I also got a newer strut (front) tower bar and that tightened up the front end. The one I put on all those years ago was rusting, hey it had a good life! lol..

I think you being on coilovers and lowered, you're increasing the stresses or changing them from the factory geometry.That alone would put a new car into a different geometric setup. Add in age of the chassis/frame on ours now and it most likely could cause the noises you're talking. The civic I have was never lowered and it still made noises. I think we're all getting to the age of the same issues.

So try and rear strut tower bar and see if that helps, along with a front tower bar too..
Old 02-28-2019, 05:43 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

inspect bushings
Old 02-28-2019, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Why even mention the coilovers then, if you don't think they're the problem? Did this start before or after you installed them?

Check bushings. Especially RTA bushings. LCA as well if those haven't been replaced.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:36 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

He probably lowered his ride therefore the rta's are now clocked differently so they stretched and probably ripped.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah the bushings definitely make noises when they're gone. Just got done replacing some lower control arms because after 20+ years they had a good run! But even with new bushings I did find that the chassis/body does flex and make noises. It did go away after I put in the rear strut tower bar. Every bit of chassis stiffening that you can do on a 20-some year old car is a good thing.