Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

auto tranny slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto tranny slipping

I hit 150,000 Miles the other day guys!

Anyways... this has been going on for a good while now. Months atleast if the problem has not ALWAYS exsisted. I believe my transmission is slipping. You know the feeling when the RPMs and wheel speed don't make any sense together but yet the car still moves and accelerates because the transmission hasn't totally died yet.

The parental unit wants me to take it to some local shop reccomended to us by my cousin. Personally I don't even want to bother with them because I'm thinkin there is no way they can do anything for a reasonable price that I can't do myself for even less. So either the transmission is fcked or I just need to help it with fluid, which by the way is constantly full.

On a side note, interestingly enough, I've only changed the fluid once and when I did I put the new fluid in via the dip-stick hole. Is that a bad bad thing? I mean its all going to the same place right?

Anyway I am doing a nice maintence run on my car in a week or two and I plan to go all out as far as the engine, but what can I do for my transmission? I'd like to flush it out but peope have told me, as far as the engine goes anyway, thats not a good idea w/ such an old engine. So would the same apply for the transmission? Is there some good (cheap) stuff i Can pick up at autozone to flush the transmission and kill my weeds at the same time :-p jk

Just trying to help it do its best.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: auto tranny slipping (Paprika)

the dipstick is where you would normally fill up an auto trans... use honda ATF
Old 08-12-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Do a flush

Do a complete flush:
Provided by another forum member. I cannot remember his name and he WILL flame me!

Honda Auto-Trans Flush = 1 case (12 qrts) Honda ATF aprox $50. 1 new drain bolt washer $1.
1) Put the front of the car up on jackstands with the wheels off the ground. Put a large container under drain plug.
2) Remove the transmission drain plug (3/8" drive ratchet works fine). Let transmission drain and wipe sludge off drain plug.
3) Reinstall drain plug and snug (not tighten). Fill transmission with three quarts of ATF.
4) Start engine and shift into drive. Gently accelerate and let transmission upshift through the gears (don't go over 50 MPH).
5) Step on brakes and bring speedo to 0.
6) Shift into reverse and accelerate to 20 MPH.
7) Bring speedo back to 0 with brakes. Shift to park and shut off engine.
8) Repeat steps 2 through 7 TWO MORE TIMES.
9) Drain the transmission once more. Reinstall drain plug and tighten firmly (don't forget to reinstall crush washer).
10) Remove jackstands and put vehicle on level ground.
11) Fill transmission with 2 1/2 quarts of ATF. Start engine. Shift to drive, then reverse, then put back in park and shut off engine.
12) Check transmission fluid level. Top off if needed to bring fluid level to the top of the crosshatch marks on the dipstick.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Do a flush (alotawatts)

If it's really slipping then it's the clutch packs. Sorry to say, but that's an expensive rebuild unless you do it yourself. Doing it yourself is not all that difficult, you just need two special pullers, a clean organized workbench, and some concentration. Provided that you can pull and reinstall the trans..

Rebuild it with the TCI kit. It costs the same as a normal overhaul kit, but makes a world of difference.

PS it's very unlikely that any hard parts are damaged due to the nature of the Honda trans.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do a flush (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's really slipping then it's the clutch packs. Sorry to say, but that's an expensive rebuild unless you do it yourself. Doing it yourself is not all that difficult, you just need two special pullers, a clean organized workbench, and some concentration. Provided that you can pull and reinstall the trans..

Rebuild it with the TCI kit. It costs the same as a normal overhaul kit, but makes a world of difference.

PS it's very unlikely that any hard parts are damaged due to the nature of the Honda trans.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ugh.. well thank you for that information as far as that. I'll keep it in mind but I don't know about my ability to pull the trans. I actually thought you had to pull both it and the engine to get to the transmission. No true eh?

Thanks for the information alotawatts. Let me think tho... maybe for the inital flush I could use something else a bit cheaper maybe? Maybe a case of elcheop dexron 3 tranmission fluid? *shurg*

Also I think I'd rather take the car off of the jack stands and um.. actually drive it. I got warned one day about the car running in Drive while jacked up. Stands or not.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do a flush (Paprika)

When mine felt it was slipping my secondary throttle cable was worn out. so check that too
Old 08-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do a flush (boysnightout)

Thats the one that like runs from the throttle body down to the trans mission, right?

How'd you figure all that out?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do a flush (Paprika)

Cheaper or Not. HONDA ATF is the ONLY recommended fluid by Honda Tech Line and I would not use the crappy Dexron III if you gave me a free honda.
But that is just IMO
Old 08-20-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Do a flush (sauceja)

hey there buddy, just wanted to know where can i get that honda atf for trans?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do a flush (upinsmoke)

Any Honda dealership has it. If there is not one near you I can get some I think it is 7.00 a quart but don't quote me as it might be a little cheaper. My cost is different. Either way I could ship it priority 2-4 days for exact shipping costs. If you can't get to dealership let me know I will work something out for you.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: auto tranny slipping (Paprika)

Just change fluid, Use Honda fluid
Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: auto tranny slipping (TOKYOGQ)

well he's not burning up the tranny fluid right?... so my guess would be it's the fluid. can't go wrong with honda like the others said