Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto tranny going out

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto tranny going out

My Friends auto tranny is goin out in her EJ1. I was wondering whats the difference between replacing the auto tranny with another auto tranny swap as opposed to a manual to manual which I've done before. Such as what would be needed other then jus getting another auto d-series tranny and throwin that on?
thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto tranny going out (SeaDA)

Instead of saying "EJ1", tell us the year, model, and trim so we will know what your talking about? That lingo doesn't mean anything when your wanting tech help.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Going out? tell us what it is doing and we will be able to help you, auto transmissions are not cheap, but parts are, tell us what it is doing and tell you what you need to do to fix it.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Auto tranny going out (nsxmatt)

EJ1= 92-95 Civic Coupe EX... Its not lingo its common knowledge around here. Anyway, Its an Automatic D16z6. After being fully stopped, it makes a clunking noise when stepping on the gas for about the first half a second. Then on the deceleration it does the same thing about the time its downshifting back into first. None of the other gears make this noise. I already added some ATF. Thiers a D-series auto tranny for sale around here from a reputable seller for rather cheap, so thats mainly why i was asking how different was an Automatic tranny swap from a manual tranny swap.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its almost the same, you have to undo the Gear Selector from the transmission instead of a linkage, other than that, pretty much the same.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EJ1= 92-95 Civic Coupe EX... Its not lingo its common knowledge around here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, kids are always quoting their car wrong. That is why I asked what year and trim your car was so there would be no misinformation. That would be useful when you buy a d-series auto tranny thinking they are all the same and you get a later computer controlled tranny which will never shift in your TCM/PCM car and your back asking questions again.

We are trying to help, post the exact year of your EX and the exact year and trim of the tranny your buying.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Auto tranny going out (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, kids are always quoting their car wrong. That is why I asked what year and trim your car was so there would be no misinformation. That would be useful when you buy a d-series auto tranny thinking they are all the same and you get a later computer controlled tranny which will never shift in your TCM/PCM car and your back asking questions again.

We are trying to help, post the exact year of your EX and the exact year and trim of the tranny your buying.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, as much as it is an EJ1, and you did indeed know what you were going for - a lot of people here just say "EG" or "EK" which doesn't really mean a whole lot as it's improper chassis codes as they usually DON'T have an EG or an EK.

So sometimes it's better just to say trim/body/year .

I've never done an automatic transmission replacement on a Honda before but if it's like most other cars straight out there it's pretty straight forward. I don't think there's any "tricks" or anything.

EDIT:
What I mean is if you've done the manual swap this should be basically the same thing, slight differences such as the linkage and the coolant lines, but ya, basically the same thing
Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Auto tranny going out (Syndacate)

Yea i agree with you guys about people getting thier codes wrong, next time I will be more clear. Mainly i was just seeing if thier was any major diffs between the two swaps, and you guys answered that!
Thanks